Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Official Kayaking/Canoeing Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #741
romafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really nice
Army: 66H8A5K- 9a     so if you like visiting my page here, let me know what where you looking for.
Name: Rob
romafern's Tacoma Gallery
If you go with J racks, unless your wife is tall, she might not have problems. How heavy is the kayak? You could try the saddle/rollers combo. I have the saddle type but I usually load the 'yaks onto my trk/shell rig.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #742
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by romafern View Post
If you go with J racks, unless your wife is tall, she might not have problems. How heavy is the kayak? You could try the saddle/rollers combo. I have the saddle type but I usually load the 'yaks onto my trk/shell rig.
She's 5'10". The kayak weighs 65 lbs. I think we are gonna go with the Yakima Evenkeel. Worst case we will buy the rollers after trying.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #743
romafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really nice
Army: 66H8A5K- 9a     so if you like visiting my page here, let me know what where you looking for.
Those should do fine. I have the Mako saddles. I opted out of the rollers. You shall be good.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #744
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter247 View Post
She's 5'10". The kayak weighs 65 lbs. I think we are gonna go with the Yakima Evenkeel. Worst case we will buy the rollers after trying.
I had the evenkeels on my Mazda. personally, I didn't like them because I felt I couldn't get the yak strapped down enough (it still wobbled quite a bit even after tightening everything down and having them spaced wide enough for the hull. Believe it or not, I have had better luck with my foam blocks that I got from Bass Pro that slide on to the cross bars. That is just my opinion though.

Edit: forgot to mention that the other issue I had with the evenkeels was when loading the yak up, the saddles wanted to rotate on the cross bars. I tried everything to keep them from moving and trying to lift the yak up the extra 5-6" and put it straight on from the side was a pita (even on a Mazda 3). Just something to think about.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #745
foam blocks are another good choice...

mntbiker, you place your 'yak upside down or on its hull?
Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #746
hygieneboy will become famous soon enough

Navy: Sub Pilot
hygieneboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Highly illegal to leave 6' of yak out of your bed.

3' is the max per DOT.

Have fun paying for the tickets
6' bed plus the tailgate down with a red flag, two kayak straps plus rope through the scuppers to prevent fore/aft movement. I've had cops ride behind me many times w/o any issues.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #747
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Been missing my kayak for the last 5 months as it sits in the corner of a storage unit in Fl, but the movers should have it delivered to me this week or next week can't wait to get back out on the water.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #748
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
33* when I hit the water at my local beaver pond for my morning coffee

Old 10-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #749
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Nice!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #750
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Awesome pics! 33*, brave man! Do you stay completely dry when you go out?

I still have yet to get out in mine. It's kinda looking like spring for me! I may get my canoe out during shotgun season for deer, but even that is looking doubtful now!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #751
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by udy2554 View Post
Awesome pics! 33*, brave man! Do you stay completely dry when you go out?

I still have yet to get out in mine. It's kinda looking like spring for me! I may get my canoe out during shotgun season for deer, but even that is looking doubtful now!
Yep. No getting wet for me. As long as you don't fall in the only way you can get wet is the paddle so a little proper paddle control goes a long way when it's cold. Key is to always put in and get out facing shore. Never get in/out facing the water. My yak has a huge cockpit so that also makes getting in/out super easy.

I was just wearing thermals and 6" boots with typical street clothes. My legs got a little cold because the boat was cold but no biggie.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #752
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like I will be needing some practice. I put more importance on camping this year with the new camper! I definitely gotta work on doing the two together!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #753
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
I only got the kayak out three times this year, didn't get the fishing boat out at all. This second shift lifestyle is crimping my hobbies. I got the fishing boat all set to go in the early summer, ran the motor, charged the batteries, then it sat in the garage all summer. I need to put the cover on it and put it back outside soon. If everything goes like I'm planning, I'll be retired next summer, plenty of spare time. Money, not so much... A tradeoff I'm willing to make right now, but I might chicken out.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #754
xxxx,

Awesome pics!!! Would love to have something like this around my area. Beavers are cool. What kind of 'yak do you have?
Old 10-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #755
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by udy2554 View Post
Sounds like I will be needing some practice. I put more importance on camping this year with the new camper! I definitely gotta work on doing the two together!
Ive been yakking for over 20 years and grew up on the water so I'm lucky.
Definitely get the two together. I have only been camping once int he past 5-10 years at a place that didn't have water access. To me the two are inseparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
I only got the kayak out three times this year, didn't get the fishing boat out at all. This second shift lifestyle is crimping my hobbies. I got the fishing boat all set to go in the early summer, ran the motor, charged the batteries, then it sat in the garage all summer. I need to put the cover on it and put it back outside soon. If everything goes like I'm planning, I'll be retired next summer, plenty of spare time. Money, not so much... A tradeoff I'm willing to make right now, but I might chicken out.
ah power boats..... yea I had the same issues. Boat sits all season after putting money into it for nothing. That's why I sold mine. I even had free storage and a free dock and still didn't use it. I'm down my moms marina all summer working there and when I'm done working last thing I want to do is take a boat ride.

Quote:
xxxx,

Awesome pics!!! Would love to have something like this around my area. Beavers are cool. What kind of 'yak do you have?

Thanks! They are off my crappy cell phone. Wish I had my camera but the batteries were dead.

I have a 9' LL Bean/Mannatee which is really a re-branded Perception/Swiftly. Had it since 2004 and the one in the pics is a 12' Perception Sun-dance I picked up 2 years ago used off Craigslist. Got the paddle and life jacket with it in winter time for $350.

12'

No need to ever buy a yak new IMO - its just throwing money down the drain. Come November/December Craigslist is full of them for dirt cheap.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #756
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
xxxx,

Oh yea I forgot the most important part.....location. I'm in NJ so you know its packed and I have all kinds of lakes and streams. Use Google maps to find them. Little exploring can go a long way. You could end up with a great spot in your backyard.....as long as your not in the desert lol
Old 10-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #757
NORTHERN RED-NECK

udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ive been yakking for over 20 years and grew up on the water so I'm lucky.
Definitely get the two together. I have only been camping once int he past 5-10 years at a place that didn't have water access. To me the two are inseparable.
I know I keep saying it, but I gotta get together with you guys for a long weekend of camping/kayaking! I also need a little laziness time to sit back with a few beers and a nap!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #758
XXXX,

Your cell did a good job. My Pungo 140 right now stored for the season. I do plan on checking the local area for sure. Right now I am too busy trying to catch as much salmon as I can.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #759
MRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bucky
MRJ's Tacoma Gallery
a few of mine....

Mad River Outrage

Prepping the Merganser (my tandem boat) for the Methow

other boats in the collection:
Easy Rider Checkmate C2
17' Grumman WW canoe
Outrage V kayak
Pyranha H3 (traded for Mad River above)

Products Discussed in this Thread