LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Official Kayaking/Canoeing Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #761
Senior Member
Tacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud of
 
Tacoma VT's Avatar
Army: 14J, 3rd ID
Name: Kessler
Joined: Mar 2013, #99321
Location: Vermont
Gender: Male
Posts: 378
Tacoma VT's Tacoma Gallery
A few from the St Croix in Maine this year.



Ive also done the Allagash and Penobscot in Maine. All are great canoe/kayak trips.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #762
Senior Member
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Sloth's Avatar
Name: Seth
Joined: Nov 2012, #91263
Location: Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,906
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome. We are doing an Allagash yak trip in August. I'm pumped.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #763
Senior Member
steveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
steveo27's Avatar
Name: Steveo
Joined: Aug 2013, #110326
Location: Pittsburgh
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 403
steveo27's Tacoma Gallery
Neat thread.

I have a question about hauling a canoe and I cant really find any really good info..


I plan on picking up a canoe once the weather breaks. 14 ft, roughly 85 lbs.

I am looking for the best option of carrying it while still using my tonneau cover.

All my research keeps leading me to running a roof rack cross bar (Thule 480 Traverse) and a "goal post" hitch rack.

Does anyone else use this combo? Any problems? Complaints?

:beer:
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:54 AM   #764
All your soul are belong to us
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Enigmaaron's Avatar
Joined: Jul 2009, #19337
Location: PA
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,148
Enigmaaron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo27 View Post
Neat thread.

I have a question about hauling a canoe and I cant really find any really good info..


I plan on picking up a canoe once the weather breaks. 14 ft, roughly 85 lbs.

I am looking for the best option of carrying it while still using my tonneau cover.

All my research keeps leading me to running a roof rack cross bar (Thule 480 Traverse) and a "goal post" hitch rack.

Does anyone else use this combo? Any problems? Complaints?

:beer:
Works good, only trouble is getting into the bed. I can open my tailgate enough to reach in and unlatch the tonneau, but you gotta lift everything out.

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #765
Senior Member
steveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
steveo27's Avatar
Name: Steveo
Joined: Aug 2013, #110326
Location: Pittsburgh
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 403
steveo27's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome.

Thanks :beer:
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #766
Senior Member
Banff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Banff2007Tacoma's Avatar
Name: Dave
Joined: May 2011, #56157
Location: Alberta
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,692
Banff2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to get into kayaking this year so I am a beginner and weigh 220 so I guess I am looking for something pretty stable. I don't plan on doing any raging white water rivers but I want something that can handle a river.

I am thinking of getting a Necky Kayak as they seem to fit my budget and what I am looking for. A recreational kayak that I can maybe grow with a little.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either one of these kayaks.

Rip 12


Manitou 13
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #767
Senior Member
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Polymerhead's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2010, #44737
Location: Missouri
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,839
Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
View from the yak today...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #768
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
XXXX's Avatar
Name: sKiP
Joined: Sep 2011, #62715
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,485
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banff2007Tacoma View Post
Looking to get into kayaking this year so I am a beginner and weigh 220 so I guess I am looking for something pretty stable. I don't plan on doing any raging white water rivers but I want something that can handle a river.

I am thinking of getting a Necky Kayak as they seem to fit my budget and what I am looking for. A recreational kayak that I can maybe grow with a little.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either one of these kayaks.

Rip 12


Manitou 13
The rip has very similar styling to the perception I have. Big cockpit that's easy to get in and out of and huge amout of easily accessible space for gear. Only downfall of that is it takes white caps and waves over the bow into the yak.

The Manitou is just like a wilderness yak Im storing for a friend. Hard to tip over and takes waves good. Only problem is its a Pita to get in/out of and getting to gear is impossible.

All that said for the streams and lakes here ill take my perception every time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:26 PM   #769
Senior Member
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Sloth's Avatar
Name: Seth
Joined: Nov 2012, #91263
Location: Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,906
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
The rip has very similar styling to the perception I have. Big cockpit that's easy to get in and out of and huge amout of easily accessible space for gear. Only downfall of that is it takes white caps and waves over the bow into the yak.

The Manitou is just like a wilderness yak Im storing for a friend. Hard to tip over and takes waves good. Only problem is its a Pita to get in/out of and getting to gear is impossible.

All that said for the streams and lakes here ill take my perception every time.
I don't have any problems getting in an out of my wilderness pungo 12(same as that manitou) then again I'm only 5'-6" and 150lbs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:43 AM   #770
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
T@co_Pr3runn3r's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2009, #12767
Location: <----------------->
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,392
T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Got me a used cheap little somethin somethin to make the close trips quicker & easier so maybe they'll happen more often...........



This will make hauling 1 or both of the boats much simpler than all the rigging involved with putting on the Thule Xsporters and hoisting the boats up over cab height and then the climbing and strapping up there. That'll be for times when the bed is needed for other stuff like bikes/camping gear and will still work if I decide to put a shell on the truck. There will be racks up on shell if I do go with one tho. Gotta has options............Now it's time to get these things in the water!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #771
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
XXXX's Avatar
Name: sKiP
Joined: Sep 2011, #62715
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,485
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
I don't have any problems getting in an out of my wilderness pungo 12(same as that manitou) then again I'm only 5'-6" and 150lbs.

LOL... that makes sense. I'm over 1/2' taller and over 100# heavier

Banff is 220# so Ill imagine he's pushing 6' +. Getting my legs in/out of the smaller cockpits is hard especially when trying to balance yourself. Throw in some fishing rods or coolers and it just plain sucks.

IMHO if anyone's looking to haul gear and relax on mellow rivers/lakes I'd go with a big cockpit so you can move your legs around and also put them on top of the yak. After hour 3-4 on the water my legs require stretching and thats impossible in a small kayak. Also impossible for me to put my size 12 foot facing strait up in the smaller cockpits which leads to more leg strain quicker.


Also something many overlook is storage behind and next to the seat. This is critical to me. Winderness has a huge seat that kills side/back storage.

My Perception has a huge amount of storage behind and next to the seat.




In the end my main recommendation is to think out your needs and wants before jumping into a yak because as we all know there are plenty of different models available.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:28 AM   #772
Senior Member
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Sloth's Avatar
Name: Seth
Joined: Nov 2012, #91263
Location: Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,906
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
LOL... that makes sense. I'm over 1/2' taller and over 100# heavier

Banff is 220# so Ill imagine he's pushing 6' +. Getting my legs in/out of the smaller cockpits is hard especially when trying to balance yourself. Throw in some fishing rods or coolers and it just plain sucks.

IMHO if anyone's looking to haul gear and relax on mellow rivers/lakes I'd go with a big cockpit so you can move your legs around and also put them on top of the yak. After hour 3-4 on the water my legs require stretching and thats impossible in a small kayak. Also impossible for me to put my size 12 foot facing strait up in the smaller cockpits which leads to more leg strain quicker.


Also something many overlook is storage behind and next to the seat. This is critical to me. Winderness has a huge seat that kills side/back storage.

My Perception has a huge amount of storage behind and next to the seat.




In the end my main recommendation is to think out your needs and wants before jumping into a yak because as we all know there are plenty of different models available.
Good point. For me the cockpit is huge in the pungo, at least compared to my wife's wilderness tsunami 14 (touring kayak). That cockpit is small, even for me.

My pungo is great for me for fishing and camping trips, but for a larger person or could certainly be an issue. The best thing to do is sit in a few, move around, see if you can comfortably grab things behind you, etc...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #773
Senior Member
Banff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Banff2007Tacoma's Avatar
Name: Dave
Joined: May 2011, #56157
Location: Alberta
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,692
Banff2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
The rip has very similar styling to the perception I have. Big cockpit that's easy to get in and out of and huge amout of easily accessible space for gear. Only downfall of that is it takes white caps and waves over the bow into the yak.

The Manitou is just like a wilderness yak Im storing for a friend. Hard to tip over and takes waves good. Only problem is its a Pita to get in/out of and getting to gear is impossible.

All that said for the streams and lakes here ill take my perception every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
LOL... that makes sense. I'm over 1/2' taller and over 100# heavier

Banff is 220# so Ill imagine he's pushing 6' +. Getting my legs in/out of the smaller cockpits is hard especially when trying to balance yourself. Throw in some fishing rods or coolers and it just plain sucks.

IMHO if anyone's looking to haul gear and relax on mellow rivers/lakes I'd go with a big cockpit so you can move your legs around and also put them on top of the yak. After hour 3-4 on the water my legs require stretching and thats impossible in a small kayak. Also impossible for me to put my size 12 foot facing strait up in the smaller cockpits which leads to more leg strain quicker.


Also something many overlook is storage behind and next to the seat. This is critical to me. Winderness has a huge seat that kills side/back storage.

My Perception has a huge amount of storage behind and next to the seat.




In the end my main recommendation is to think out your needs and wants before jumping into a yak because as we all know there are plenty of different models available.
Awesome thanks for all the info. I guess I am looking for something that will be comfortable on a day trip and something I can handle as well since I am a new to this.

I was looking at the Perception Tribute as well. There is an outdoor store up here that puts on a kayak/canoe/SUP seminar where you can try kayaks out so I am hoping to go to it and try a few out and see which one fits me best.

I wish I was 6 feet plus but just under. However one of the reason I wanted to get a kayak was to help lose a little weight. I have had some surgeries the last couple of years and gained over 80 pounds getting up to 280. Lost most of it but want to lose another 20 to get back under 200.

Still some pain with the knee but hopefully by June it will be better.

Thanks for all the information and I will check both kayaks (Necky and Perception) out in June and hopefully post a picture of the one I choose.

Thanks again all. Cheers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #774
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
XXXX's Avatar
Name: sKiP
Joined: Sep 2011, #62715
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,485
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banff2007Tacoma View Post
Awesome thanks for all the info. I guess I am looking for something that will be comfortable on a day trip and something I can handle as well since I am a new to this.

I was looking at the Perception Tribute as well. There is an outdoor store up here that puts on a kayak/canoe/SUP seminar where you can try kayaks out so I am hoping to go to it and try a few out and see which one fits me best.

I wish I was 6 feet plus but just under. However one of the reason I wanted to get a kayak was to help lose a little weight. I have had some surgeries the last couple of years and gained over 80 pounds getting up to 280. Lost most of it but want to lose another 20 to get back under 200.

Still some pain with the knee but hopefully by June it will be better.

Thanks for all the information and I will check both kayaks (Necky and Perception) out in June and hopefully post a picture of the one I choose.

Thanks again all. Cheers.
Max capacity is low for the 12' Tribute at only 240#. Leads me to assume it's quick, but not that stable. The rear dry storage portal is so small I would be weary of it's actual ability to be used for anything. My dry bag barley fits in my portal now and it's twice that size.

I'd stay far away from the 10' version because it only holds 225#.

One thing to seriously consider because you are new to the sport is buying used. These kayaks are nothing more than over sized rubbermade trash cans. To date I have never spent over $350 on a kayak/paddle/vest combo. They lose their value as soon as they get a scratch so if I were you and not worried about ascetics I would shop for used ones.

Also you can add options like fishing pole holders, straps for cargo, and cup holders yourself for dirt cheap so try not to get taken by yaks offering all the options at 2x the cost. Yak Gear is a great supplier of accessory items at a fraction of the cost of buying them already installed. http://www.yak-gear.com/


Due to your medical issues I would seriously try out a yak before purchase. Sit in it for 30 minutes or longer and make sure your legs and ass don't go numb. Make sure you can adjust the seat and foot pegs so your comfortable. There is nothing worse than being in the ultimate location enjoying nature when a leg cramp or back ache ruins it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #775
Senior Member
Banff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Banff2007Tacoma's Avatar
Name: Dave
Joined: May 2011, #56157
Location: Alberta
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,692
Banff2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Max capacity is low for the 12' Tribute at only 240#. Leads me to assume it's quick, but not that stable. The rear dry storage portal is so small I would be weary of it's actual ability to be used for anything. My dry bag barley fits in my portal now and it's twice that size.

I'd stay far away from the 10' version because it only holds 225#.

One thing to seriously consider because you are new to the sport is buying used. These kayaks are nothing more than over sized rubbermade trash cans. To date I have never spent over $350 on a kayak/paddle/vest combo. They lose their value as soon as they get a scratch so if I were you and not worried about ascetics I would shop for used ones.

Also you can add options like fishing pole holders, straps for cargo, and cup holders yourself for dirt cheap so try not to get taken by yaks offering all the options at 2x the cost. Yak Gear is a great supplier of accessory items at a fraction of the cost of buying them already installed. http://www.yak-gear.com/


Due to your medical issues I would seriously try out a yak before purchase. Sit in it for 30 minutes or longer and make sure your legs and ass don't go numb. Make sure you can adjust the seat and foot pegs so your comfortable. There is nothing worse than being in the ultimate location enjoying nature when a leg cramp or back ache ruins it.
Now that you mentioned it I think the capacity was one of the reasons I did not mention the Tribute earlier.

I have been looking for used but all river kayaks for sale up here but still early so maybe when the sun actually starts to shine up here. I will have to check again in the following months to come.

And yes I plan on going to that seminar I was talking about before anything to make sure I can handle getting in and out of the kayak first. If I can't get out that might be a problem or at the very least embarrassing.

Thanks again
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #776
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
XXXX's Avatar
Name: sKiP
Joined: Sep 2011, #62715
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,485
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banff2007Tacoma View Post
Now that you mentioned it I think the capacity was one of the reasons I did not mention the Tribute earlier.

I have been looking for used but all river kayaks for sale up here but still early so maybe when the sun actually starts to shine up here. I will have to check again in the following months to come.

And yes I plan on going to that seminar I was talking about before anything to make sure I can handle getting in and out of the kayak first. If I can't get out that might be a problem or at the very least embarrassing.

Thanks again

NP.

Yaks are easy to get used dirt cheap about a month before Christmas when people need spare cash and have no need for a yak. Hard to find deals now because all the scavengers like me swooped them up
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #777
Master of Yotas I Am
TRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Master Yota
Joined: Oct 2012, #88770
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Gender: Male
Posts: 353
TRDtexasTaco's Tacoma Gallery
subbed
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #778
Senior Member
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Polymerhead's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2010, #44737
Location: Missouri
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,839
Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Got me a used cheap little somethin somethin to make the close trips quicker & easier so maybe they'll happen more often...........



This will make hauling 1 or both of the boats much simpler than all the rigging involved with putting on the Thule Xsporters and hoisting the boats up over cab height and then the climbing and strapping up there. That'll be for times when the bed is needed for other stuff like bikes/camping gear and will still work if I decide to put a shell on the truck. There will be racks up on shell if I do go with one tho. Gotta has options............Now it's time to get these things in the water!
I bought one of these off amazon and it's all I use. Super easy to load and unload, and completely stable. No roof rack for me!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #779
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
XXXX's Avatar
Name: sKiP
Joined: Sep 2011, #62715
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,485
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
I bought one of these off amazon and it's all I use. Super easy to load and unload, and completely stable. No roof rack for me!
I got to much shit to pack and get away with throwing them in the bed anymore. 1/2 my bed is full of wood, the rest is food, beverage, grill and yak gear.

Oh and I am leaving the wilderness at home. Rather bring my Perceptions as usual.


Packed and ready for the first 4 day camping/yak trip of the year to kick off tomorrow. Happy Friday night to me
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #780
Senior Member
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
wmdpowell's Avatar
Name: Bill
Joined: Nov 2010, #46971
Location: Selkirk, NY
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 960
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo27 View Post
Neat thread.

I have a question about hauling a canoe and I cant really find any really good info..


I plan on picking up a canoe once the weather breaks. 14 ft, roughly 85 lbs.

I am looking for the best option of carrying it while still using my tonneau cover.

All my research keeps leading me to running a roof rack cross bar (Thule 480 Traverse) and a "goal post" hitch rack.

Does anyone else use this combo? Any problems? Complaints?

:beer:
That is exactly my set up. Works with canoe and kayak
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*Official* Ask A Detailer Thread mShu7 Detailing 1666 04-21-2014 02:48 AM
*OFFICIAL GOPRO THREAD* Bmxcast00 Photography 800 04-18-2014 03:17 PM
the official golf thread stevenstaco Sports, Hobbies & Interests 613 03-04-2014 05:36 PM
The official who is nd thread.... chris4x4 Off-Topic Discussion 86 12-28-2011 02:53 PM
OFFICIAL subwoofer thread!! VooDoo Audio & Video 7 01-13-2011 01:42 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.