1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Learning Guitar

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Justin626, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Oct 14, 2008 at 5:46 PM
    Justin626

Justin626 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 TRD Sport DC Super White
    Toytec 3" w/ AAL, N-Fab Nerf Bars, Lightforce 170mm Strikers, N-Fab Light Bar, Metra Ipod Adapter, Scosche Auto Start
    So I've been wanting to learn how to play guitar for years but haven't found the motivation or inspiration quite yet. Does anyone have any suggests for some good ways to get started.

I guess what I'm looking for is a good computer based program or a good book series. Or personal experiences anyone had when they were learning how to play.

2. Oct 14, 2008 at 6:12 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Start with chord charts. Just learn the basic chords - G, C, D, E, A (B and F are a little tricky for beginners).

Once you can fumble through some chords, head on over to YouTube. There are TONS of how-to videos on playing all different styles of guitar.

Now, once you start playing, your fingers are gonna be sore. It will take a while to build up the calouses on your finger tips, but just muscle through the pain. :) I played for many years then kinda stopped until about 6 months ago. Needless to say, I had to build my calouses up again. After the first couple of days, it will be pretty sore for you to play - but, if you just keep doing it anyway, it will kinda go numb. Just keep doing that for a week or so and you'll be on your way.

Good luck to you! There are few things in life more fun than playing guitar!

3. Oct 14, 2008 at 6:38 PM
    mudduck

mudduck Nobody makes me bleed my own blood.

Member:
    the bluegrass state
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    black painted wheels, tinted windows, sockmonkey decals
    check out Estaban's series. he makes it about as simple as possible. you can get his stuff or any kind of guitar dvd at your local Guitar Center.

4. Oct 14, 2008 at 6:42 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    As previously stated, learn the basic chords (G,C,D,A,E).

I think the best thing to do is find music you like that you can realistically learn to play relatively quick. You'd be surprised how many songs have a simple 3 chord rhythm. Try to focus on the core rhythm and develop your finger strength, flexibility, and durability (callouses).

A pretty cool website that shows some neat tuning structures is here.

I can't emphasize enough, find things you like to play!

Conquering the 2-3 week learning curve is difficult, but if you can do that, you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of most people who try to learn the guitar.

I use this website when looking for song tabs on the fly.

5. Oct 14, 2008 at 6:44 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    x2

Finding music to listen to and play along with does WONDERS for motivation to continue. :)

6. Oct 14, 2008 at 6:50 PM
    TorenApart

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    One thing I forgot to mention is that it is much easier to learn on a quality instrument that produces a quality sound. That doesn't mean spend lots of money, just always listen in person before you buy.

With that said...
    I would not recommend the Esteban Guitar. If you heard it, you'd know why.
    I can't speak for the instructional material Esteban provides, but would think you might find it, or something very comparable for free, online, or possibly on YouTube.

7. Oct 14, 2008 at 7:17 PM
    absolutkc

absolutkc Student

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Kenwood X592
    learning music theory helped me extremely with learning how the guitar worked and where each note was.
    plus lots and lots of time practicing!!

this website is very helpful >> http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

8. Oct 14, 2008 at 7:40 PM
    Justin626

Member:
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Toytec 3" w/ AAL, N-Fab Nerf Bars, Lightforce 170mm Strikers, N-Fab Light Bar, Metra Ipod Adapter, Scosche Auto Start
    Sounds like a good starting approach. I've always seen alot of covers done on YouTube. I'll have to check out what else is on there. Thanks:D

Yeah, I wish we had a Guitar Center.:rolleyes:

The tabs book I bought when I got my acoustic was Dave Matthews Band: Crash. Certainly not a good starting point....whoops.:laugh: I was considering picking up a Nirvana book. Alot of their songs seem fairly simple. Any suggestions in rock, folk, or metal?

I'll be sure to check out those websites.

9. Oct 14, 2008 at 7:44 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Yes, there are lots of covers by random people, but there are actual "instructional" videos too.

Rock and metal are gonna use a lot of power chords - which, while easy to learn, can actually stunt your development if that's what you learn first. I would go with Folk or Country.

10. Oct 14, 2008 at 7:46 PM
    Justin626

Member:
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    I have a Mitchell acoustic guitar. I know it's not bottom of the line, but I also don't know much about the quality of guitars. I bought it from a Guitar Centre, down around the Seattle area. The guy that helped me suggested it. It sounded fine to me, but what do I know.:D

Thanks, I'll check it out.

11. Oct 14, 2008 at 8:02 PM
    absolutkc

absolutkc Student

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Kenwood X592
  12. Oct 14, 2008 at 9:18 PM
    TorenApart

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I would recommend songs with solid rhythm guitar sections using the fundamental chords listed above. It will be important for you to know the fret board without having to think about how your fingers need to bend or what strings you need to push.

A good starter song would be Chariot by Gavin DeGraw or You & Me by Lifehouse. Neither song may be a personal favorite but both will use chords you'll need to know by second nature.

Once you become more comfortable moving about on the fret board, one of my personal favorite and easy songs from DMB is Grey Street.

13. Oct 14, 2008 at 9:25 PM
    Justin626

Member:
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Damn! That's motivation right there! Grey Street is at least in my top 5 favorite DMB songs, if not my #1. I'll keep those songs in mind when I get to that point. Thanks again, man.:D

14. Oct 14, 2008 at 9:26 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
  15. Oct 14, 2008 at 9:35 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
  16. Oct 14, 2008 at 10:16 PM
    TorenApart

Member:
    Vehicle:
  17. Oct 14, 2008 at 10:54 PM
    awoit

awoit Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5
    download the program called guitar pro. After that go to google and type in the song name you would like to try and learn and then guitar pro afterwards. eg. Master of Puppets Guitar pro. After this click on one of the first couple of links and DL the guitar pro song file u will be able to open it with guitar pro. it is one of the easiest ways to follow along and learn songs. you can slow down the tempo and speed of the song so you can play along with it no matter what your pace is.

Products Discussed in

To Top