Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Learning Guitar

Old 10-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Justin626's Tacoma Gallery
Question Learning Guitar

So I've been wanting to learn how to play guitar for years but haven't found the motivation or inspiration quite yet. Does anyone have any suggests for some good ways to get started.

I guess what I'm looking for is a good computer based program or a good book series. Or personal experiences anyone had when they were learning how to play.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin626 View Post
So I've been wanting to learn how to play guitar for years but haven't found the motivation or inspiration quite yet. Does anyone have any suggests for some good ways to get started.

I guess what I'm looking for is a good computer based program or a good book series. Or personal experiences anyone had when they were learning how to play.
Start with chord charts. Just learn the basic chords - G, C, D, E, A (B and F are a little tricky for beginners).

Once you can fumble through some chords, head on over to YouTube. There are TONS of how-to videos on playing all different styles of guitar.

Now, once you start playing, your fingers are gonna be sore. It will take a while to build up the calouses on your finger tips, but just muscle through the pain. I played for many years then kinda stopped until about 6 months ago. Needless to say, I had to build my calouses up again. After the first couple of days, it will be pretty sore for you to play - but, if you just keep doing it anyway, it will kinda go numb. Just keep doing that for a week or so and you'll be on your way.

Good luck to you! There are few things in life more fun than playing guitar!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Nobody makes me bleed my own blood.
mudduck will become famous soon enough

mudduck's Tacoma Gallery
check out Estaban's series. he makes it about as simple as possible. you can get his stuff or any kind of guitar dvd at your local Guitar Center.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
TorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to behold

TorenApart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

As previously stated, learn the basic chords (G,C,D,A,E).

I think the best thing to do is find music you like that you can realistically learn to play relatively quick. You'd be surprised how many songs have a simple 3 chord rhythm. Try to focus on the core rhythm and develop your finger strength, flexibility, and durability (callouses).

A pretty cool website that shows some neat tuning structures is here.

I can't emphasize enough, find things you like to play!

Conquering the 2-3 week learning curve is difficult, but if you can do that, you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of most people who try to learn the guitar.

I use this website when looking for song tabs on the fly.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorenApart View Post
As previously stated, learn the basic chords (G,C,D,A,E).

I think the best thing to do is find music you like that you can realistically learn to play relatively quick. You'd be surprised how many songs have a simple 3 chord rhythm. Try to focus on the core rhythm and develop your finger strength, flexibility, and durability (callouses).

Conquering the 2-3 week learning curve is difficult, but if you can do that, you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of most people who try to learn the guitar.

x2

Finding music to listen to and play along with does WONDERS for motivation to continue.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
TorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to behold

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudduck View Post
check out Estaban's series. he makes it about as simple as possible. you can get his stuff or any kind of guitar dvd at your local Guitar Center.
One thing I forgot to mention is that it is much easier to learn on a quality instrument that produces a quality sound. That doesn't mean spend lots of money, just always listen in person before you buy.

With that said...
I would not recommend the Esteban Guitar. If you heard it, you'd know why.
I can't speak for the instructional material Esteban provides, but would think you might find it, or something very comparable for free, online, or possibly on YouTube.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
Student
absolutkc will become famous soon enoughabsolutkc will become famous soon enough
absolutkc's Tacoma Gallery
learning music theory helped me extremely with learning how the guitar worked and where each note was.
plus lots and lots of time practicing!!

this website is very helpful >> http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/
Old 10-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
Start with chord charts. Just learn the basic chords - G, C, D, E, A (B and F are a little tricky for beginners).

Once you can fumble through some chords, head on over to YouTube. There are TONS of how-to videos on playing all different styles of guitar.
Sounds like a good starting approach. I've always seen alot of covers done on YouTube. I'll have to check out what else is on there. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudduck View Post
Yeah, I wish we had a Guitar Center.

Quote:

The tabs book I bought when I got my acoustic was Dave Matthews Band: Crash. Certainly not a good starting point....whoops. I was considering picking up a Nirvana book. Alot of their songs seem fairly simple. Any suggestions in rock, folk, or metal?

I'll be sure to check out those websites.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Sounds like a good starting approach. I've always seen alot of covers done on YouTube. I'll have to check out what else is on there. Thanks
Yes, there are lots of covers by random people, but there are actual "instructional" videos too.

Quote:
Alot of their songs seem fairly simple. Any suggestions in rock, folk, or metal?
Rock and metal are gonna use a lot of power chords - which, while easy to learn, can actually stunt your development if that's what you learn first. I would go with Folk or Country.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #10

Quote:
One thing I forgot to mention is that it is much easier to learn on a quality instrument that produces a quality sound. That doesn't mean spend lots of money, just always listen in person before you buy.
I have a Mitchell acoustic guitar. I know it's not bottom of the line, but I also don't know much about the quality of guitars. I bought it from a Guitar Centre, down around the Seattle area. The guy that helped me suggested it. It sounded fine to me, but what do I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutkc View Post
learning music theory helped me extremely with learning how the guitar worked and where each note was.
plus lots and lots of time practicing!!

this website is very helpful >> http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #11
Student
absolutkc will become famous soon enoughabsolutkc will become famous soon enough
absolutkc's Tacoma Gallery
My Baby!!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...95/hhtele1.jpg
Old 10-14-2008, 10:18 PM   #12

Quote:

Yeah, I wish we had a Guitar Center.

The tabs book I bought when I got my acoustic was Dave Matthews Band: Crash. Certainly not a good starting point....whoops. I was considering picking up a Nirvana book. Alot of their songs seem fairly simple. Any suggestions in rock, folk, or metal?

I'll be sure to check out those websites.
I would recommend songs with solid rhythm guitar sections using the fundamental chords listed above. It will be important for you to know the fret board without having to think about how your fingers need to bend or what strings you need to push.

A good starter song would be Chariot by Gavin DeGraw or You & Me by Lifehouse. Neither song may be a personal favorite but both will use chords you'll need to know by second nature.

Once you become more comfortable moving about on the fret board, one of my personal favorite and easy songs from DMB is Grey Street.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #13

Quote:
I would recommend songs with solid rhythm guitar sections using the fundamental chords listed above. It will be important for you to know the fret board without having to think about how your fingers need to bend or what strings you need to push.

A good starter song would be Chariot by Gavin DeGraw or You & Me by Lifehouse. Neither song may be a personal favorite but both will use chords you'll need to know by second nature.

Once you become more comfortable moving about on the fret board, one of my personal favorite and easy songs from DMB is Grey Street.
Damn! That's motivation right there! Grey Street is at least in my top 5 favorite DMB songs, if not my #1. I'll keep those songs in mind when I get to that point. Thanks again, man.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #14
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU_2o0T7H2I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3H4liC2sWg

here is all you need
Old 10-14-2008, 11:54 PM   #17
awoit will become famous soon enough

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to awoit
download the program called guitar pro. After that go to google and type in the song name you would like to try and learn and then guitar pro afterwards. eg. Master of Puppets Guitar pro. After this click on one of the first couple of links and DL the guitar pro song file u will be able to open it with guitar pro. it is one of the easiest ways to follow along and learn songs. you can slow down the tempo and speed of the song so you can play along with it no matter what your pace is.