Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Looking at Drivers (Golf)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Rigger, Please
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at Drivers (Golf)

I am looking for a new ( or new to me) driver.

I have been using a Taylor made R5 480 for about 3 years.. and im just looking for something to help me drive.

I hit the ball about 275 with what I like to call a Power Fade. some refer to a slice but its not a true slice. I aim the left side of the fairway and it ends up in the middle or a little to the right.

I am looking at the R7 or R9.. just dont really know the differance between each version.

Oh and I wanna stick with Taylor Made.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Resident MMA Fanatic
SlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlimDigg's Tacoma Gallery
I say go hit different drivers and buy whats comfortable and you hit well. Don't be stuck on the taylormade brand.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Rigger, Please
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have too.. its all I use.. its bad luck to play with a mixed bag
Old 07-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
rwalker is on a distinguished road

Name: Rian
rwalker's Tacoma Gallery
I work for Ping so I would say the G20 when it comes out next month. But if you stick with Taylormade the Superfast 2.0 just went down in price.
Its best to go to a store and get a driver fitting. About 70% of the club will be the shaft.
Since you have a "power fade" look at a shaft with a stiffer tip. The Aldila RIP shaft is one of my favorites right now.
If you need more help feel free to ask
Old 07-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I played 18 this morning with my dad. Could not get the putter going at all. Anyways, He was all about these new golf balls he picked up. It sounds like a gimmick, but after watching them, they do work.

http://www.amazon.com/Polara-Ultimat...0947326&sr=1-1

It's not a USGA legal ball, but for the weekend guy who's tired of chasing shots all over, it's pretty darn good.

My dad and I have played a lot of golf together, we know each other swings very well. There were several times my pops would have sliced the crap outta the ball, and with new golf balls he was using, he still ended up in the fairway or close to it.

Buy a box, you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #6

rwalker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I played 18 this morning with my dad. Could not get the putter going at all. Anyways, He was all about these new golf balls he picked up. It sounds like a gimmick, but after watching them, they do work.

http://www.amazon.com/Polara-Ultimat...0947326&sr=1-1

It's not a USGA legal ball, but for the weekend guy who's tired of chasing shots all over, it's pretty darn good.

My dad and I have played a lot of golf together, we know each other swings very well. There were several times my pops would have sliced the crap outta the ball, and with new golf balls he was using, he still ended up in the fairway or close to it.

Buy a box, you won't be disappointed.
lol
We had a red box of these. They are British. The ball is smaller than a normal golf ball. But it flew a mile.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Rigger, Please

I mean I do have kind of a mixed bag.. but I would like to stick with Taylormade.

Driver (Current) TM r580
Adams Tight Lies Fairways woods 3w/5w
Irons Taylormade Burner 3-PW
Wedges Warrior GW/LW
Oddesy White Hot 330 Putter
Old 07-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
willimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to behold

Name: Will
willimatic's Tacoma Gallery
I work for Cleveland but id say try others than just TM. Give PING a try, they make great drivers. Shaft is most important so id say get a good fitting. I love my Cleveland and if they weren't free id have trouble deciding on the Cleveland or PING!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #9

rwalker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by willimatic View Post
I work for Cleveland but id say try others than just TM. Give PING a try, they make great drivers. Shaft is most important so id say get a good fitting. I love my Cleveland and if they weren't free id have trouble deciding on the Cleveland or PING!
I just put a Myazaki shaft into one of our heads. Spine aligning that thing is a B***h.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
willimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to behold

Name: Will
willimatic's Tacoma Gallery
Which Miyazaki? I have a Kusala Black, love it. A true anti left shaft.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
Rigger, Please

I hit my friends r7 Limited this weekend and crushed the ball about 25 yards further than with my r5 80 .. plus i didnt "Power Fade" the ball as much
Old 07-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #12

rwalker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by willimatic View Post
Which Miyazaki? I have a Kusala Black, love it. A true anti left shaft.
It was the blue 70g. I never hit the black but I wanted to keep my 8º head so I was sketch about the low launch.

Are you using the 310tl?
Old 07-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #13
Rigger, Please

you guys are saying lots lof stuff i dont know nothing about..
Old 07-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #14

rwalker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AFTacoma View Post
you guys are saying lots lof stuff i dont know nothing about..
Miyazki is a brand of shafts Cleveland offers in their woods.
Nike also offers them for a fee.
They are made in Japan.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #15
Rigger, Please

I just want a driver to add distance and help with my fade. I feel if I try and change my swing will screw my irons.. which has little to no fade at all
Old 07-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #16

rwalker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AFTacoma View Post
I just want a driver to add distance and help with my fade. I feel if I try and change my swing will screw my irons.. which has little to no fade at all
The iron swing should be a little different than the woods anyway.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #17

rwalker's Tacoma Gallery
You could take a lesson on the driver
Old 07-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #18
Rigger, Please

I still want to get a new driver.. after hitting that r7 soo much further than my r5
Old 07-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #19
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
the R9 is a huge upgrade over the R5 and R7, however the R580 or R580XD are the best drivers taylor made ever made, just outdated
Old 07-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #20
Rigger, Please

I have the 580.. i just think its time for something new.. and something to help my swing

Products Discussed in this Thread