Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Guitar Players: help me out with some questions please

Old 07-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
Guitar Players: help me out with some questions please

Well I've tried and given up on playing the guitar a few times in the past couple of years. But every time I hear a song I like, it just mocks me and has determined me to not quit this time. I have a Rogue Dreadnaught RA-100D. It's a cheaper guitar but it has pretty good quality and sound. It's an acoustic steel string; I didn't think I should break the bank on a starter.

The times I gave up were when the chords got too hard for me, but I found out that a capo can make it a little easier on me. I went to Radio Shack today and got a strap, some new picks, and a capo. Well it turns out I got the wrong kind. The one I got is a Pistol Guitar Pro flat capo. I didn't even know that there was any difference in any capo other than brand. Apparently this one is for a flat fretboard like on a classical guitar. My guitar has a sort of curved fretboard. So apparently this one won't hold all of my strings down at the same tension and it is kind of small and tight on the neck (hard to move it up and down or get on and off). So I was wanting to know what any of you guys that know more about guitars and playing suggest to use. What is a good brand capo? And what style capo should I get? I assume the curved, but I also read when researching that some of the curved ones may not put enough tension on the middle strings.

Any suggestions and help on the capo are appreciated. Also, any help with beginner guitar playing are appreciated as well.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
G7th makes some great ones along with planet waves. Honestly, if your looking for I good starter kit, Id recommend a made in mexico fender stratocaster and an amp off of craigslist. If that's too much, id get a fender squire starter pack. That's what I had and now I play professionally.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
enjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...-capo-6-string

Best capo I've used. Reasonable priced too, use it on my acoustics n Electrics. Try learning with tabs, they r easier, that's what I used I taught myself never took lessons and have been told I play very well considering. Check out guitar pro software Google it up. If I remember correctly its free then check out ultimate-guitar.com to get pretty much any song tab u want.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also, Breedlove makes some very reasonably priced guitars. Check out the atlas series. They use quality woods and dont skimp on build quality.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
MMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Michael
MMazz365's Tacoma Gallery
well im no expert but ive been playing for years now and ive never had any ppprroblems with capos. you best bet is to get a nice capo at a store that specializes in instuments, not radio shack. i have a normal capo (camo of course) and ive had no problems. just buy a nice one so that it covers all the strings good and pushes down all the stings completely. your problem may be where you position it in between the frets. the capo should be just behind the fret (youl see in the pic i atttach) so it pushes down all the strings well. any more questions just let me know
Attached Thumbnails
Guitar Players: help me out with some questions please-camo_capo.jpg  
Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
Because I can
JoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Joe
JoeRags27's Tacoma Gallery
Guitarcenter.com.....any 6 string quick change capo around $20 bucks and up is going to be just fine for what your looking for.....also freeandeasyguitar.com is legit for learning new songs at your own pace and videos on chords/chord progressions/reading tabs, they have videos on all that and very popular songs you can learn even teach you strumming patterns which is another big problem beginners have...you might know the chords to play but without the correct patterns your not going to be hitting the right notes although a lot of songs can be played with different patterns they will just sound a little different...end of tangent haha the only way to get better is just to practice even if its only for like 30 min a day brother and not to quit! if it were that easy everyone would be a rock star
Old 07-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
Because I can
JoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjm10 View Post
Ill sell u my Alvarez mc1000
Cedar top? Nice fucking guitar dude
Old 07-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
enjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRags27 View Post
Cedar top? Nice fucking guitar dude
Yes sir but that bad boy is only taken out for special occassions definitely not an everyday player.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #10
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on emjm10's recommendation - Kyser Capo. Will last forever & you can simply clip it to the headstock when not in use.

But if you're relying on a capo for easier fretting, then the action on your guitar is likely too high. Action is how high the strings are above the fretboard. Chances are your guitar isn't setup right. A guitar repairman can measure your guitar and give you a good idea on how far they can bring the action down for you before they even start. Depending on your guitar, they might be able to lower it down quite a bit, which will make fretting chords (especially bar chords) easier.

Of course lowering the action down too much might introduce some buzzing, especially if you play hard, or have poor pick technique. But a good guitar repairman can help you find a nice middle ground.

Also (if you don't already) string your guitar with light guage strings. You give up some volume, but they're better for a beginner. Also acoustic is much harder to fret than electric. But I encourage you to stick with acoustic, because you will gain finger & hand strength, which will you immensely over time. It will build with practice.

Also if you are a beginner, it can be very hard & frustrating to pick up other's songs. Not saying don't try. But you need to focus on foundations. Learn your chords, and practice getting clean sounds & transitions.

And learn your scales. See the attached docs for some ideas. Practice the patterns & also note how they link together. You can move these up & down the fretboard as you change key.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiatt1991 View Post
G7th makes some great ones along with planet waves. Honestly, if your looking for I good starter kit, Id recommend a made in mexico fender stratocaster and an amp off of craigslist. If that's too much, id get a fender squire starter pack. That's what I had and now I play professionally.
I think I want to stick to an acoustic, for now anyway. I think the G7th capo I would need would be the Nashville version, correct? I know there's the standard 6 string one, but it seems like a hassle to change. Whereas the Nashville you can just glide up and down.

Quote:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...-capo-6-string

Best capo I've used. Reasonable priced too, use it on my acoustics n Electrics. Try learning with tabs, they r easier, that's what I used I taught myself never took lessons and have been told I play very well considering. Check out guitar pro software Google it up. If I remember correctly its free then check out ultimate-guitar.com to get pretty much any song tab u want.
I read that the Kyser capos were a good brand. But are these curved? I'd hate to buy another flat one when my frets and board are curved. I also heard about the guitar pro stuff and ultimate guitar when researching. People spoke pretty highly of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMazz365 View Post
well im no expert but ive been playing for years now and ive never had any ppprroblems with capos. you best bet is to get a nice capo at a store that specializes in instuments, not radio shack. i have a normal capo (camo of course) and ive had no problems. just buy a nice one so that it covers all the strings good and pushes down all the stings completely. your problem may be where you position it in between the frets. the capo should be just behind the fret (youl see in the pic i atttach) so it pushes down all the strings well. any more questions just let me know
Yeah, I should have known what I was going after before I bought something. Is that a Kyser? I had it positioned correctly, it's just that since it's flat, it leaves the E string not held down at the same tension as the others.

Quote:
Guitarcenter.com.....any 6 string quick change capo around $20 bucks and up is going to be just fine for what your looking for.....also freeandeasyguitar.com is legit for learning new songs at your own pace and videos on chords/chord progressions/reading tabs, they have videos on all that and very popular songs you can learn even teach you strumming patterns which is another big problem beginners have...you might know the chords to play but without the correct patterns your not going to be hitting the right notes although a lot of songs can be played with different patterns they will just sound a little different...end of tangent haha the only way to get better is just to practice even if its only for like 30 min a day brother and not to quit! if it were that easy everyone would be a rock star
Yeah, I think I lean more towards the quick change capo than the clamp on style. Thanks for the info and motivation!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #12

enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the one I linked is the curved one, I suggest picking up an acoustic at first too, although I did it the other way around. But for chord progressions and simply just chording you'll learn better on an acoustic. But yet again it all depends on what type u wanna play and what style ur going to play. Pick it up as often as u can, hell practice on the shutter if ur able to lol. Fifteen mins messing around on u guitar is better then not playing it all. Learn the major chords n just start strumming em together going back and forth between em. Best of luck to u its frustrating for out right beginners but with practice it'll all come together.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yeah that's the right Kyser in the link.

The Kyser for flat fretboards is called a "Kyser capo for classical guitars". Quick change "clamp style" capos are better because you can leave a string open (i.e. fret 5 and leave the bass string open. Capo at the 3rd fret and drop the bass E to a D. Fun.

For you guys who love to fool around with alternate tunings, check out the SpiderCapo ... you can capo individual strngs. Allows for awesome alternate tuning combinations....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...82977000000000
Old 07-26-2011, 11:30 PM   #14
Because I can

Quote:
Yes sir but that bad boy is only taken out for special occassions definitely not an everyday player.
Hell no brother I have seen them go for like 1400-2000 dollars depending on condition ....jealous!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #15
Because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme54 View Post
Yeah, I think I lean more towards the quick change capo than the clamp on style. Thanks for the info and motivation!
No problem bro! And listen to these dudes def learn the chords/scales/chord progressions first before trying to learn any songs because then when they call for a Bar f in a song and your like trying to look it up as you are trying to learn to play it will suck and you will look like this Learn the chords/scales first and you will look like this
Old 07-26-2011, 11:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Yeah the one I linked is the curved one, I suggest picking up an acoustic at first too, although I did it the other way around. But for chord progressions and simply just chording you'll learn better on an acoustic. But yet again it all depends on what type u wanna play and what style ur going to play. Pick it up as often as u can, hell practice on the shutter if ur able to lol. Fifteen mins messing around on u guitar is better then not playing it all. Learn the major chords n just start strumming em together going back and forth between em. Best of luck to u its frustrating for out right beginners but with practice it'll all come together.
Thanks, I have an acoustic now and am more partial to country music. So I plan on playing country whenever I am decent enough, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Yeah that's the right Kyser in the link.

The Kyser for flat fretboards is called a "Kyser capo for classical guitars". Quick change "clamp style" capos are better because you can leave a string open (i.e. fret 5 and leave the bass string open. Capo at the 3rd fret and drop the bass E to a D. Fun.

For you guys who love to fool around with alternate tunings, check out the SpiderCapo ... you can capo individual strngs. Allows for awesome alternate tuning combinations....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...82977000000000
Great. Thanks for the info in your post above as well.

Quote:
No problem bro! And listen to these dudes def learn the chords/scales/chord progressions first before trying to learn any songs because then when they call for a Bar f in a song and your like trying to look it up as you are trying to learn to play it will suck and you will look like this Learn the chords/scales first and you will look like this
Haha, alright man. I appreciate it.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:50 PM   #17
Quote:
Ill sell u my Alvarez mc1000
Mmm nice classical. Been thinking about a good classical for years. Play a Martin J15 as my main axe now. Simple does it. And ohh the bass.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 PM   #18
By the way .. don't hesitate to save up for a few lessons. After playing with friends & teaching myself for a couple years, I finally took about 10 lessons with a blues & rock guitarist. I learned more in those 10 lessons than I did in the previous 2 years. Definitely worth it to spend time with an expert who can evaluate your playing first hand.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
What's a capo ?

SG into the Mesa Boogie rectifier
Great combo. I prefer my 1979 Marshall JMP into my tele!