Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Need a new reel.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Doomsday Squad
Swwacoma is a jewel in the roughSwwacoma is a jewel in the roughSwwacoma is a jewel in the rough

Swwacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Swwacoma
Need a new reel.

Like the title says, I need a new salt water reel. I used to have a Shimano Stradic 4000 on a St. Creux rod but the Stradic couldn't handle the salt water corrosion more than a year even with cleaning it regularly....So I got drunk and went out and bought a G. Loomis Greenwater and Shimano Sustain 4000 as my primary set up now...but alas, I still have that sweet St. Creux thats not being used. I have a gift card for $150 at Bass Pro and want to stay under that. Suggestions?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
What type of fishing do you do? I do deep sea fishing.
heres my list that i currently use
Avet jx 6/3 2speed
Avet mx 6/3 2speed
Avet sx 6/3 2speed
Daiwa sealine 40 reel on a 9ft jig stick
Rods
all black steal rods set up perfectly
Old 10-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
Doomsday Squad
Swwacoma is a jewel in the roughSwwacoma is a jewel in the roughSwwacoma is a jewel in the rough

Just looking for something to fish shallows/beaches with. I already have an offshore set up and my current "skinny water" setup, but I think I would like to stick with the whoe bays and beaches idea still...just incase I have some one come out with me that doesn't have a rod or the g/f ever decides to do something fun.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:39 PM   #4
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Spin cast? i like the seeker inshore series penn is always nice.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:43 PM   #5
Doomsday Squad

Spinning reel. Never had a penn...heard too many mixed reviews to jump on them. I'm in love with my Sustain, but I don't want to drop the same cash for a back up/spare reel.

Know anything about Quantums? Been hearing good things about them.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Founder Socaltacomas.com

Quantums are ok they sucked a while back and now they started making a product, i have had all kinds of gear g-loomis is very nice but i love seeker.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
Doomsday Squad

I think so far I'm diggin the Quantum Catalyst. I really liked my old Stradic, but I'm not sure I want to trust them again...(from what I understand they used to be made for fresh water--the model I had--and just recently began making them for salt, which explains why mine got so mucked up)
Old 10-24-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
Founder Socaltacomas.com

True i say go for it.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:57 PM   #9
Doomsday Squad

Sucks that we are out of season for much of anything good right now, because when I can't go fishing I end up spending money on gear to get my fix. Gah.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #10
Founder Socaltacomas.com

Sounds like me, we still have tuna around and i want some!
Old 10-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #11
Doomsday Squad

Now that its startin to get cold everything worth while is pushing deep into the passes and rivers...really thins out things here. Last two times I went out caught nothing but catfish and lady fish...freakin' garbage.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:13 PM   #12
Founder Socaltacomas.com

LOL bottom eating fish thumbsdown
Old 10-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #13
Doomsday Squad

Exactly...between the cats being bottom feeders and the freaking lady fish being the stupidest creation on earth..it hasn't been a very fun month.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:23 PM   #14
Founder Socaltacomas.com

lol yeah im going lobster fishing sunday gonna be fun last year only got 2 on two trips not bad we were on a pier.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:25 PM   #15
Doomsday Squad

Can't go wrong with pier fishing...unless you manage to snag a Lady Fish which attracts the attention of a dolphin and 2 pelicans...then 5 minutes later, a bird nested line, and dirty looks from tourists, pier fishing has lost its appeal.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #16
Doomsday Squad

So I got the Quantum Catalyst 40 and went out tonight. Caught a decent Trout and a small Cat on my first two casts before I switched back to my main set up. Love the reel, but after using my Gloomis Greenwater for so long my St. Croix rod feels like a cane pole.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:59 PM   #17
Founder Socaltacomas.com

Nice good to know you liked the reel
Old 10-27-2008, 02:00 AM   #18
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swwacoma View Post
Sucks that we are out of season for much of anything good right now, because when I can't go fishing I end up spending money on gear to get my fix. Gah.
Here is a Bass Pro shop tip(from experience):
Want to spend several hundred on fishing - Get a buggy
Want to spend up to a hundred or so - Get a basket
Just going in to get a few items, but don't want to break the bank. -What you can carry in your hands!

I fish freshwater & when I go for one or 2 items. I have learned the hard way.
So now I use the above rule of thumb.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #19
Doomsday Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
Here is a Bass Pro shop tip(from experience):
Want to spend several hundred on fishing - Get a buggy
Want to spend up to a hundred or so - Get a basket
Just going in to get a few items, but don't want to break the bank. -What you can carry in your hands!

I fish freshwater & when I go for one or 2 items. I have learned the hard way.
So now I use the above rule of thumb.
Ha, good philosophy...but trust me, you don't need a cart or a basket to spend hundreds.....all it takes is a shimano stella, lol.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:12 PM   #20
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swwacoma View Post
Ha, good philosophy...but trust me, you don't need a cart or a basket to spend hundreds.....all it takes is a shimano stella, lol.
True, when buying reels. It is easy to break the bank. My philosophy is on lures & misc things. The smaller priced items. But they sure add up if you use my three methods of purchase.

With a shopping cart, I have never left Bass pro with less than $200 worth of stuff. Shopping carts are off limits to me! Last shopping experience was Lowrance GPS/fishfinder $659 + other items = $850.