Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Plastic Model Kit Thread.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #21
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
That looks awesome.

Here's where I am at with the anti tank gun right now-
Old 09-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #22
2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold
2qwik4u's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotacrawler View Post
You my friend have created a work of art. I'm serious, I was just at the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola and some of the models they have on display aren't near as detailed as yours. Tamiya makes some very good kits. Did you use the landing gear and wheels that came with the kit or did you buy resin parts? My skill level of weathering is nowhere near yours. Not even the same ballpark.
I have a Trumpeter 1/32 Vought F4U4 Corsair kit that I hope goes together as well as your Tamiya P47. I'll need to practice my weathering alot more before I can finish the Corsair. Don't want to botch it all up.
Thanks for that link! Can't wait to check it out.

Thank you for the kind words. There are guys in my club that build a lot better. I actually used this one as a practice for a new technique to me called preshading. I was working on the F-14 at the same time, and I didn't want to screw that one up. Other than the decals, the kit is strictly out of the box, no aftermarket at all. The weathering is really just the preshading, a little wash on the panel lines afterwards and some pastel powder for exhaust and gun stains. For the wash, I use the premade washes from Citadel Minatures. If you are familiar with Warhammer, you know all about them. They are acrylic, and I paint primarily with enamels, so what I do is just slop it on all of the panel lines after it has been decaled. Then I let it dry for about 30 min, and come back with a damp paper towel and wipe the model in the direction of the airflow. The dampness will "melt" the wash and wipe it off of the surface, leaving the color in the panel lines. By wiping in the direction of the airflow, it will streak for even more weathering. The preshading is basically going over all of the panel lines with black or very dark gray with an airbrush before you spray the main color. After that, when you spray the main color, you do the individual panels, spraying a little less at the panel lines. The darker color will give you a little bit of a shadow around the panel lines. Here is a before and after on my Tomcat:

The key is sublety, you don't want it too overstated.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #23
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Man thats awesome! I will have to try that for sure. On a test model of course haha! Took some more pics after I got home. You will have to ignore the dust on some of these.
Does Hobbytown carry the Citadel Minatures premade wash?

P47

Datsun 510

Huey Hog

Chopped top Chevy. It was difficult getting the windsheild to fit and shaving it. Not perfect but it will do.

F18 Hornet (note the gap in the fuselage, its before I knew about puddy)

F4U Corsair (Work in Progress)

Spent alot of time on the P&W Double Wasp Engine. Researched tons of photos to make it as realistic as possible. I think it turned out pretty good.
My pin vise came in really handy for this job.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #24
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpy Derek View Post
That looks awesome.

Here's where I am at with the anti tank gun right now-
Looks pretty sweet. Did you make any progress last night?
Old 09-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #25
She's got the jimmy legs

The info on the arcair site is priceless! Can't wait to use the Aluminum foil trick for metalizing my P51! +1 for a great site 2qwik4u!
Old 09-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #27
Any place is comfortable if you make it that way
montes6173 is a jewel in the roughmontes6173 is a jewel in the roughmontes6173 is a jewel in the rough

Marines: Sgt. CH-53E Mech/Crew Chief
Name: Christopher
montes6173's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #28
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Looks pretty sweet. Did you make any progress last night?
I got a few more details to go, I had to take a break after painting the wheels. Was getting pretty mad with how the paint turned out on one side,(pretty much operator error) I need to find a different brand of paint that I will actually like using if that's possible.. Right now I'm using Testors.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #29
Derp

Here's a picture of what it looks like right now.. I totally fumbled on the barrel of the gun, didn't double check to see if the end was perfectly aligned when it was drying so it was a little off all the way down. I don't know why there looks to be brown on the spade of the shovel when there isn't any, but I liked how that turned out. Looking at the wheels just killed me.. I need to practice more with painting a smooth coat
Old 09-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #30
She's got the jimmy legs

I think it looks pretty good. I use testors and model master paint (which is made by the testor corporation) for my painting needs. Havent tried Tamiya but as many times as I have seen it mentioned on various sites I'm sure its a good paint. Not sure how to eliminate the brush strokes. I had the same problem back when I began modeling so I just saved and bought a compressor and aibrush. I still use a brush on detailed parts but you dont really see the strokes on small areas. Don't feel bad about the barrel not being in line and straight. I can't count the times I've glued stuff out of place.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #31
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
I got a question, where the hell can I find a Tacoma kit?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #32
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Aoshima-Toyota.../dp/B001BHK43Y

Gotta lift it at some point though..

http://www.amazon.com/Aoshima-Toyota...ref=pd_sbs_t_2

http://www.amazon.com/Aoshima-Toyota.../dp/B001BHEFHU
Old 09-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #33
Derp

Quote:
I think it looks pretty good. I use testors and model master paint (which is made by the testor corporation) for my painting needs. Havent tried Tamiya but as many times as I have seen it mentioned on various sites I'm sure its a good paint. Not sure how to eliminate the brush strokes. I had the same problem back when I began modeling so I just saved and bought a compressor and aibrush. I still use a brush on detailed parts but you dont really see the strokes on small areas. Don't feel bad about the barrel not being in line and straight. I can't count the times I've glued stuff out of place.
I got some Tamiya spray paint in german grey and black for tomorrow.. I'm going to try and start on the half track tonight and see how well I'll do with what I've learned so far. I really want this one to look good because I love German half tracks
Old 09-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #34
Atomic Punk
Apple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
Apple X C0re's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
As far as I know, Toyota hasn't released the rights to make a scale model of the Tacoma yet. That is just what I had heard a while back, however. There are models of the Toyota pickups floating around but they are fairly rare apparently.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #36
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
subd

I have some Warhammer and Warhammer 40K models, I just don't have any photos of them.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #37
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome thread!!! I didn't know there was anyone in the model car hobby on this site. I used to build ALOT of cars and went to model shows. I'll try to post up some of mine sometime if I can get a spare moment. Anyway, Use my knowledge if need be.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #39
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone wanted a Tacoma "model" you can buy the Axial SCX-10 Honcho R/C truck and then a Tacoma decal sheet from RPP Hobby

It's 1/10 scale and it actually moves...but has a flat bed
Old 09-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #40
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
If anyone wanted a Tacoma "model" you can buy the Axial SCX-10 Honcho R/C truck and then a Tacoma decal sheet from RPP Hobby

It's 1/10 scale and it actually moves...but has a flat bed
But I want a second Gen.

Products Discussed in this Thread