Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Plastic Model Kit Thread.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #41
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i guess you're SOL then huh

Old 09-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #43
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
Holy thread revival batman!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #44
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpy Derek View Post
Holy thread revival batman!
not really
Old 09-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #45
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
not really
Two days of posting, I thought it wasn't going to die so fast.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #46
Derp

I know there are a lot more people on TW that make models!

Post them up!
Old 09-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #47
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpy Derek View Post
Two days of posting, I thought it wasn't going to die so fast.
oh yeah me too. this is a cool thread now post up people!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #54
2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold
2qwik4u's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome. I love the Camaro and the 911.

I'm working on the new Hudson Hornet kit right now amidst other things. I'm doing a build log over on Aircraft Resource Center. Here's the link:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/foru...&#entry2269117

Earlier in this thread we were talking about how I weathered my airplane models. I'm also working on a 1/72 Hawker Typhoon, and I just posted to that build thread on how I go through my weathering process. If you want to check that out, you can find the build thread for the Typhoon here:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/foru...&#entry2221396

-Dave
Old 10-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #55
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2qwik4u View Post
Awesome. I love the Camaro and the 911.

I'm working on the new Hudson Hornet kit right now amidst other things. I'm doing a build log over on Aircraft Resource Center. Here's the link:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/foru...&#entry2269117

Earlier in this thread we were talking about how I weathered my airplane models. I'm also working on a 1/72 Hawker Typhoon, and I just posted to that build thread on how I go through my weathering process. If you want to check that out, you can find the build thread for the Typhoon here:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/foru...&#entry2221396

-Dave
That's a great write-up on the Typhoon! Can't wait to give the weathering a go! It seems I've been going about painting my planes the hard way. I would paint the fuselage parts first then assemble. This seems to be the hard way now imo after checking out ARC. I should assemble the fuselage first then paint. Learn something new everyday!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #56
2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold
2qwik4u's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotacrawler View Post
That's a great write-up on the Typhoon! Can't wait to give the weathering a go! It seems I've been going about painting my planes the hard way. I would paint the fuselage parts first then assemble. This seems to be the hard way now imo after checking out ARC. I should assemble the fuselage first then paint. Learn something new everyday!

Thanks, I'm glad you found it useful.

You are absolutely correct on the assembly. With cars, you pretty much paint everything first, then put it together. With airplanes, its paint all the interior stuff, put everything together, then paint everything on the outside. With armor, its put everything together, paint everything, then dip the whole thing in mud.

The best part about the way that I weather my kits is that if I screw up, I can just wipe it off and try again. As long as you use oil based paint and water based washes, you can't screw up the base layer unless you try really, really hard.

-Dave
Old 10-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #57
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'll have to practice airbrushing with enamel paints. All I have ever used are acrylic's. I was always scared to get into the airbrush thinners and all. Not sure what part paint to what part thinner to use. I'm sure there is a how to on the ARC website. I'll give it a quick search and get all my ducks in a row before attempting.

I've got two projects going at the moment that have already been sprayed with acrylic. I'll just finish them up and then attempt the enamel painting and water based washing on a new model....probably a car first.
I have this model sitting at home that would be a good candidate I think. After all, it would be pretty dirty after 24hrs at Daytona.

Don't want to foul up a pretty plane.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #58
2qwik4u's Tacoma Gallery
Airbrushing definately takes a bit of practice. I've been doing it for about 15 years now, and I'm still learning new things. For the Testors paints that I use, I thin about 75% paint to 25% thinner for flats and 50/50 for glosses.

On a separate note, I just finished up my Typhoon:

Old 10-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #59
Tilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lyle
Tilt's Tacoma Gallery
I've built a few CF-18 Hornets in my time.

I'd love to get back at models some day (I have a lot of unbuilt kits) - but time is against me.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #60
She's got the jimmy legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2qwik4u View Post
Airbrushing definately takes a bit of practice. I've been doing it for about 15 years now, and I'm still learning new things. For the Testors paints that I use, I thin about 75% paint to 25% thinner for flats and 50/50 for glosses.

On a separate note, I just finished up my Typhoon:

Nice! Looks great! Thanks for the tip on mixing the thinners. It's been rainy here all day so I've been working on a P51D. Just about have it ready to assemble. Hobby Lobby had a sale yesterday and I couldn't resist picking up a 1/35th Scale German King Tiger from Tamiya. 50 bones regular, got it for 17 bucks. Should be fun.

Products Discussed in this Thread