Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Plastic Model Kit Thread.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #161
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
^Is that just regular foil? The sell something called bare metal foil that is very thin with an adhesive backing.
Yes, just regular ol reynolds wrap aluminum foil. According to the internet, bare metal foil wraps around curves easier but the aluminum foil was readily available in our kitchen drawer so that's what I went with. I'm using microscale metal foil adhesive as a bonding agent. It's going good so far...
Old 01-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #162
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotacrawler View Post
Yes, just regular ol reynolds wrap aluminum foil. According to the internet, bare metal foil wraps around curves easier but the aluminum foil was readily available in our kitchen drawer so that's what I went with. I'm using microscale metal foil adhesive as a bonding agent. It's going good so far...
Hmm, never thought of using regular foil. Does it show the detail well? I always just used bare metal foil, burnished it with a Q tip and then used a tooth pick to works the crevices.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #163
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Hmm, never thought of using regular foil. Does it show the detail well? I always just used bare metal foil, burnished it with a Q tip and then used a tooth pick to works the crevices.
I think it does pretty well. I'm also burnishing with a Q tip. I haven't really needed to use a toothpick as of yet to get into the crevices. I've just been applying a little pressure with the Q tip to get the foil into the panel lines. The rivet's look pretty good also.

I would like to try the bare metal foil to compare the two.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #164
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotacrawler View Post
I think it does pretty well. I'm also burnishing with a Q tip. I haven't really needed to use a toothpick as of yet to get into the crevices. I've just been applying a little pressure with the Q tip to get the foil into the panel lines. The rivet's look pretty good also.

I would like to try the bare metal foil to compare the two.
Try the tooth pick. It really sharpens the lines nicely.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #165
She's got the jimmy legs

Quote:
Try the tooth pick. It really sharpens the lines nicely.
Will do! Thanks man!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #166
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
I want to order this kit

http://www.ehobbies.com/tam24324.html

Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #168
2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold
2qwik4u's Tacoma Gallery
I've got two already. Aoshima is also making one as well as the FR-S. They will also be doing the BRZ STI concept car (I have one on pre order). The Tamiya kit is only RHD, and it looks like it has been lowered an inch or two. I'll be using the Aoshima kit to build my car, because you have the option of doing LHD or RHD. It also has a fully detailed trunk (Aoshima) but no engine bay. From the parts sprues, it looks like they will be coming out with a full engined version though (you get a different firewall with master cylinder depending on RHD or LHD) Scalehobbyist has the Tamiya kit for $43 plus shipping and the Aoshima FRS for $30 plus shipping.

I also have the factory colors for the Galaxy Blue Silica (mine), Dark Grey Metallic, and the Scion burnt orange color from Zero Paints out of the UK.

This is what i will eventually be building one of my kits as:

I was lucky enough to get one of the first ones in my area last May. (my VIN is in the upper 300's)

-Dave
Old 01-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #169
2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold
2qwik4u's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the ScaleHobbyist link:

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/

And another place that I buy most of my stuff from is MS Hobbies:

http://www.mshobbies.com/servlet/StoreFront

Both places are highly recommended. MS only shows having the Tamiya GT86 in stock, but that is where I got all of my BRZ/FR-S kits from. Just email him and tell him what you are looking for.

-Dave
Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #170
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

these look like cool kits

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagor...p?s=0&t=11&u=7

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagor...p?s=0&t=11&u=7
Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #171
2qwik4u's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I've heard good things about them. The only downside is that they are 1:35, which means they will only be about 5 inches long.

Aoshima is also rereleasing the their Hilux regular cab and double cab kits in their "lift up" series:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10023275
Old 01-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #172
fejus is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
fejus's Tacoma Gallery
Hope you guys like Warhammer ... they are plastic kits

Wish I had better pics of this guy

Old 01-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by fejus View Post
Hope you guys like Warhammer ... they are plastic kits

Wish I had better pics of this guy

I've got two 40K armies, I've got Khaos Spacemaries and Imperial Guard.

I was working on a Warhammer Khaos Army as well.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #174
fejus is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
fejus's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I have about
7K pts of 40 K Orks and am starting a GK army now

I have a weakness for regular Warhammer Fantasy as well
10K Lizards and about 3K Orks lol...

GW is being a bitch and continuing to raise prices so I have been having to become a CL junkie haha
Old 01-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by fejus View Post
Nice! I have about
7K pts of 40 K Orks and am starting a GK army now

I have a weakness for regular Warhammer Fantasy as well
10K Lizards and about 3K Orks lol...

GW is being a bitch and continuing to raise prices so I have been having to become a CL junkie haha
I forgot how many points my Khaos army is but I wanna say its in the 10K range (I've got Khorne and Slanesh armies with daemons).

I can't believe how much prices have gone up.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #176
Codemonkey3 is on a distinguished road

Codemonkey3's Tacoma Gallery
Some of the stuff I've got.

Tried to use a hilux to recreate my 2001 Toyota Tacoma I just replaced.

One of my Warhammer 40k things:

Some 1/285th scale tanks and what not:

Old 02-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #177
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
A couple of my model cars.

The Impala I did about 20 years ago in H.S. The Challenger I did about 3-4 years ago. I know, my lines aren't that great, but they are fun to build.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #178
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a bunch of GW stuff, and some FW as well.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #180
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Holy thread revival batman

Products Discussed in this Thread