1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Plastic Model Kit Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Derpy Derek, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Sep 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    Post up any pictures, special techniques, questions, or just discuss anything that has to do with building model kits.

I'll start with this M41 Patton I built from a Tamiya 1/35 scale kit.
    [​IMG]

This is the first time I have ever made a kit and saw it all the way through, granted I did not paint as much as I should have and I still need to get into the "weathering" process. I was pretty happy with the end result of this model.

2. Sep 8, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    Great job on the tank! Looks really good for your first completed model! Military models are awesome. This thread is gonna be really cool.

Here are a couple of ones I have done in the past. I will post some more as soon as I can take some pics.
    1/25 1984 GMC PICKUP
    I used two kits so that I would have the extra tires and made the rear bumper using the plastic that I cut the parts of the model from. Used the same plastic for the spare tire mount in the bed. The hood scoop is from a 69 Chevelle kit that I built for a guy and didn't use. I used puddy and sanded the edges to make it seamless.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1/24 Porsche 956
    Coated the entire body of the model in Future Floor wax to create the effect that the decals are painted on.
    [​IMG]

3. Sep 8, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    :popcorn:

I made quite a few models as a kid, but they all sucked lol.

ugawino and TomTwo like this.
  4. Sep 8, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    I loved to build models when I was younger and had time. I loved to do big rigs (tractor trailers). I enjoyed the fine detail work - adding a little extra detail above and beyond what came with the kit - similar to Toyotacrawler's GMC truck above.
    Unfortunately I had to leave them all in South Africa when I moved to the US. My son is getting old enough to do that now, so maybe there can be some bonding time.:D

By the way, excellent job to OP and Toyotacrawler.

Biscuits likes this.
  5. Sep 8, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    Some tips I've picked up over the years....

1: You can use a toothpick to paint small detail areas such as gauge clusters, white lettering on tires, windshield wipers etc...

2: Use Sandpaper on the tread of tires to make them appear to be used.

3: Use Future Floor Wax to cover decals and make them appear to be painted on. Just paint it on with a brush, its self leveling so no brush strokes will be seen.
    The floor wax can also be used on the plastic windsheilds to give them the glass look and not the distorted plastic look.
    [​IMG]

4: Prime everything you are going to paint!!! In doing this there is less chance of the final paint seperating on the plastic part. I wash all the parts of the kit in dawn dish soap then blow dry on low. Then I prime it all before cutting the parts out. Once I detach the parts from the mold and shave the little nubs off, I touch them up with primer.

5: You can use old wire from electronics for sparkplug wire instead of buying the ridiculously priced detail kits.

6: Buy a pin vise...you will need it for detailed work.

7: Use salt to get a paint chipped effect on leading edges of wings on aircraft or any other thing you want to be chipped. After the part you want to be chipped is primed, mist with water, sprinkle salt on the area you want to be chipped, apply final coat of paint, knock off the salt and you will have a paint chipped look.

8: I use chalk, browns, black, gray, white for areas that I want to look dirty.
    Just sand the end of the chalk on sandpaper and dab a qtip or brush in the powder, then apply to the areas you want to look dirty.
    You can also use graphite powder for road grime. It sticks really well but dont use too much or it will appear shiny and not grimy. I add black chalk powder to dull it up.

There are tons more and I will add to this list when they come to mind. :)

If anybody knows how to use the metalizer paint for models let me know...I have no idea how or where to begin. I'm affraid of botching a model up. This is the reason a P51 I've had for a while is still not complete haha!

j-utah, BookieBob, czach and 11 others like this.
  6. Sep 8, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    This will be a great thread

wilcam47 likes this.
  7. Sep 8, 2011 at 1:19 PM
    Ptowntaco

Ptowntaco Camburg :)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Petaluma Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner TRD
    Tint, Socked, Deck Plate mod, Camburg 2.5 coils, Camburg UCA, 5100's in the rear, Custom Deaver leaf pack, Micky Thomson Classic Locks, BFG KM2, CB
    x2 let me get some of that :popcorn:

8. Sep 8, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I actually have one of a toyota pickup.....and of course it's modded. Think it's a 93-95 body style.

9. Sep 8, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    2qwik4u

2qwik4u Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indian Head, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab Prerunner
    ARE Z-series Cap
    Here are a few that I've finished over the past year. All in 1/72.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Sep 8, 2011 at 1:27 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Your weathering is superb! The royal airforce P47 looks fantastic! Way better than the P47 I built.

ChadsPride likes this.
  11. Sep 8, 2011 at 1:29 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    OP I've searched every site I can think of and I can't find a decal kit for the M41. You might have to buy another kit and take the decal sheet from there. You can use the model you take the sheet from to practice weathering. I've done that in the past. I have a hellcat that's about 78 different colors lol!

12. Sep 8, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    I'll do that, I wish the hobby store I got the kit from was still doing the 40% off deal though. :( I also messed up big time on the cage around the front lights, so I wouldn't mind another shot at doing that again too.

This anti-tank gun is taking longer than I expected.. Lot more detailed pieces in the kit.

13. Sep 8, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Check out Amazon Sometimes you can find really good deals on kits there.
    Your anti-tank gun sounds like my Corsair kit. Way more detail than I thought it would have. But if you take your time and work a little here and there it will come out sweet in the end. It's worth the wait.

Biscuits likes this.
  14. Sep 8, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    fatty ac1d

fatty ac1d Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    15 MGM DCSB SR5
  15. Sep 8, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    Apple X C0re

Apple X C0re Atomic Punk

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Franklin, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    De-badged, MetalMiller grille emblem, brush guard, K&N Intake, Thrush tube, Black euro tail lights, Various scratches, Cobra 29LTD CB with custom echo board, 10" sony subwoofer with MTX amp, Black low-profile tool box, 5% tint all around.
    I've built a lot of models in the past, but these are a few I have on my desk.

Star Wars AT-ST (Still working on it)

[​IMG]

1/25 1957 Chevy Cameo

[​IMG]

First Warhammer 40k unit I attempted a few years back

[​IMG]

I have more models in the closet, however I'm lazy :rolleyes: I had a Chevy truck kit just like yours Toyotacrawler. Mine met it's fate falling on a wood floor, but yours looks great.

Excellent models everyone! :thumbsup:

Rick's 2012 likes this.
  16. Sep 8, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Those look awesome AppleXcore! The 57 Cameo looks sweet!
    I had a 69 Chevy Malibu that met the same fate as your GMC except on a tile floor. Still have the pieces haha!
    Can't wait to see the finished walker! Thats gonna be sweet! Are you going to add battle scars to it?

17. Sep 8, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    Apple X C0re

Apple X C0re Atomic Punk

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Franklin, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    De-badged, MetalMiller grille emblem, brush guard, K&N Intake, Thrush tube, Black euro tail lights, Various scratches, Cobra 29LTD CB with custom echo board, 10" sony subwoofer with MTX amp, Black low-profile tool box, 5% tint all around.
    Yea, walker will have battle scars and moss and such. I took a soldering tool and made some bullet holes/laser scars in some areas, but I've been distracted lately.

Isn't gravity a pain :D

18. Sep 8, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    2qwik4u

2qwik4u Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indian Head, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab Prerunner
    ARE Z-series Cap
    Thanks Toyotacrawler, I'm glad you like it. Here are a couple more pics of the P-47. It's a Tamiya kit, and the thing almost snaps together. I didn't need to use a single drop of putty on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, for you guys that are really into the plastic models, or if you are thinking about getting back into it, I highly recommend checking out http://www.arcair.com/ . The main page is good, the forums are fantastic. Lots of talent and people that are willing to help and offer advice.

19. Sep 8, 2011 at 2:20 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    You my friend have created a work of art. I'm serious, I was just at the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola and some of the models they have on display aren't near as detailed as yours. Tamiya makes some very good kits. Did you use the landing gear and wheels that came with the kit or did you buy resin parts? My skill level of weathering is nowhere near yours. Not even the same ballpark.
    I have a Trumpeter 1/32 Vought F4U4 Corsair kit that I hope goes together as well as your Tamiya P47. I'll need to practice my weathering alot more before I can finish the Corsair. Don't want to botch it all up.
    Thanks for that link! Can't wait to check it out.

20. Sep 8, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Found this one on my computer here at work. It's actually at the local Hobby Town in their display case as we speak. Been there for about 5 years haha!
    It's not finished in this pic but I made a little Diorama for it as if it were coming out of a mud hole.
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top