LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Plastic Model Kit Thread.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
Plastic Model Kit Thread.

Post up any pictures, special techniques, questions, or just discuss anything that has to do with building model kits.

I'll start with this M41 Patton I built from a Tamiya 1/35 scale kit.

This is the first time I have ever made a kit and saw it all the way through, granted I did not paint as much as I should have and I still need to get into the "weathering" process. I was pretty happy with the end result of this model.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Great job on the tank! Looks really good for your first completed model! Military models are awesome. This thread is gonna be really cool.

Here are a couple of ones I have done in the past. I will post some more as soon as I can take some pics.
1/25 1984 GMC PICKUP
I used two kits so that I would have the extra tires and made the rear bumper using the plastic that I cut the parts of the model from. Used the same plastic for the spare tire mount in the bed. The hood scoop is from a 69 Chevelle kit that I built for a guy and didn't use. I used puddy and sanded the edges to make it seamless.

1/24 Porsche 956
Coated the entire body of the model in Future Floor wax to create the effect that the decals are painted on.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery

I made quite a few models as a kid, but they all sucked lol.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I loved to build models when I was younger and had time. I loved to do big rigs (tractor trailers). I enjoyed the fine detail work - adding a little extra detail above and beyond what came with the kit - similar to Toyotacrawler's GMC truck above.
Unfortunately I had to leave them all in South Africa when I moved to the US. My son is getting old enough to do that now, so maybe there can be some bonding time.

By the way, excellent job to OP and Toyotacrawler.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Some tips I've picked up over the years....

1: You can use a toothpick to paint small detail areas such as gauge clusters, white lettering on tires, windshield wipers etc...

2: Use Sandpaper on the tread of tires to make them appear to be used.

3: Use Future Floor Wax to cover decals and make them appear to be painted on. Just paint it on with a brush, its self leveling so no brush strokes will be seen.
The floor wax can also be used on the plastic windsheilds to give them the glass look and not the distorted plastic look.

4: Prime everything you are going to paint!!! In doing this there is less chance of the final paint seperating on the plastic part. I wash all the parts of the kit in dawn dish soap then blow dry on low. Then I prime it all before cutting the parts out. Once I detach the parts from the mold and shave the little nubs off, I touch them up with primer.

5: You can use old wire from electronics for sparkplug wire instead of buying the ridiculously priced detail kits.

6: Buy a pin vise...you will need it for detailed work.

7: Use salt to get a paint chipped effect on leading edges of wings on aircraft or any other thing you want to be chipped. After the part you want to be chipped is primed, mist with water, sprinkle salt on the area you want to be chipped, apply final coat of paint, knock off the salt and you will have a paint chipped look.

8: I use chalk, browns, black, gray, white for areas that I want to look dirty.
Just sand the end of the chalk on sandpaper and dab a qtip or brush in the powder, then apply to the areas you want to look dirty.
You can also use graphite powder for road grime. It sticks really well but dont use too much or it will appear shiny and not grimy. I add black chalk powder to dull it up.

There are tons more and I will add to this list when they come to mind.

If anybody knows how to use the metalizer paint for models let me know...I have no idea how or where to begin. I'm affraid of botching a model up. This is the reason a P51 I've had for a while is still not complete haha!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
This will be a great thread
Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
Camburg :)
Ptowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryce
Ptowntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post

I made quite a few models as a kid, but they all sucked lol.
x2 let me get some of that
Old 09-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I actually have one of a toyota pickup.....and of course it's modded. Think it's a 93-95 body style.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold
2qwik4u's Tacoma Gallery
Here are a few that I've finished over the past year. All in 1/72.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
She's got the jimmy legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2qwik4u View Post
Here are a few that I've finished over the past year. All in 1/72.

Your weathering is superb! The royal airforce P47 looks fantastic! Way better than the P47 I built.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
She's got the jimmy legs

OP I've searched every site I can think of and I can't find a decal kit for the M41. You might have to buy another kit and take the decal sheet from there. You can use the model you take the sheet from to practice weathering. I've done that in the past. I have a hellcat that's about 78 different colors lol!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotacrawler View Post
OP I've searched every site I can think of and I can't find a decal kit for the M41. You might have to buy another kit and take the decal sheet from there.
I'll do that, I wish the hobby store I got the kit from was still doing the 40% off deal though. I also messed up big time on the cage around the front lights, so I wouldn't mind another shot at doing that again too.

This anti-tank gun is taking longer than I expected.. Lot more detailed pieces in the kit.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
She's got the jimmy legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpy Derek View Post
I'll do that, I wish the hobby store I got the kit from was still doing the 40% off deal though. I also messed up big time on the cage around the front lights, so I wouldn't mind another shot at doing that again too.

This anti-tank gun is taking longer than I expected.. Lot more detailed pieces in the kit.
Check out Amazon Sometimes you can find really good deals on kits there.
Your anti-tank gun sounds like my Corsair kit. Way more detail than I thought it would have. But if you take your time and work a little here and there it will come out sweet in the end. It's worth the wait.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
Atomic Punk
Apple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
Apple X C0re's Tacoma Gallery
I've built a lot of models in the past, but these are a few I have on my desk.

Star Wars AT-ST (Still working on it)

1/25 1957 Chevy Cameo

First Warhammer 40k unit I attempted a few years back

I have more models in the closet, however I'm lazy I had a Chevy truck kit just like yours Toyotacrawler. Mine met it's fate falling on a wood floor, but yours looks great.

Excellent models everyone!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #16
She's got the jimmy legs

Those look awesome AppleXcore! The 57 Cameo looks sweet!
I had a 69 Chevy Malibu that met the same fate as your GMC except on a tile floor. Still have the pieces haha!
Can't wait to see the finished walker! Thats gonna be sweet! Are you going to add battle scars to it?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #17
Atomic Punk
Apple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
Apple X C0re's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, walker will have battle scars and moss and such. I took a soldering tool and made some bullet holes/laser scars in some areas, but I've been distracted lately.

Isn't gravity a pain
Old 09-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #18
2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold2qwik4u is a splendid one to behold
2qwik4u's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Toyotacrawler, I'm glad you like it. Here are a couple more pics of the P-47. It's a Tamiya kit, and the thing almost snaps together. I didn't need to use a single drop of putty on it.

Also, for you guys that are really into the plastic models, or if you are thinking about getting back into it, I highly recommend checking out http://www.arcair.com/ . The main page is good, the forums are fantastic. Lots of talent and people that are willing to help and offer advice.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #19
She's got the jimmy legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2qwik4u View Post
Thanks Toyotacrawler, I'm glad you like it. Here are a couple more pics of the P-47. It's a Tamiya kit, and the thing almost snaps together. I didn't need to use a single drop of putty on it.

Also, for you guys that are really into the plastic models, or if you are thinking about getting back into it, I highly recommend checking out http://www.arcair.com/ . The main page is good, the forums are fantastic. Lots of talent and people that are willing to help and offer advice.
You my friend have created a work of art. I'm serious, I was just at the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola and some of the models they have on display aren't near as detailed as yours. Tamiya makes some very good kits. Did you use the landing gear and wheels that came with the kit or did you buy resin parts? My skill level of weathering is nowhere near yours. Not even the same ballpark.
I have a Trumpeter 1/32 Vought F4U4 Corsair kit that I hope goes together as well as your Tamiya P47. I'll need to practice my weathering alot more before I can finish the Corsair. Don't want to botch it all up.
Thanks for that link! Can't wait to check it out.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #20
She's got the jimmy legs

Found this one on my computer here at work. It's actually at the local Hobby Town in their display case as we speak. Been there for about 5 years haha!
It's not finished in this pic but I made a little Diorama for it as if it were coming out of a mud hole.