LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Cycling (Road Bike) Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #201
andjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to behold
Name: Andew
andjenliang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootalien View Post
Thanks. I'm skeptical buying from ebay. Especially from Taiwan or Thailand... How are those shifters? Authentic?
I don't mean to sound like a hater, but i understand your skepticism buying from ebay. Most of the taiwanese bike shops will sell their legit brand name goods and ship internationally to USA to make a profit because they realize that they pay a cheaper price than an American LBS that has to pay for importing and various taxes. In this past summer 6/12-8/12 i was in taiwan for a 240KM bike race, days before the race i brought in my bike for general maintenance and i looked at their prices and everything is way cheaper in taiwan. A Giant FCR Hybrid there cost around 250 USD, but in the US it is like 800 USD.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #202
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb View Post
so here is my 2012 blue axino right after i finished building her... have done some other stuff to her since then just don't have a pic handy lol
the build is:
force shifters, red rear deailur, force cranks. Thompson seat post and stem, force front derailer, delta bars
finial weight at that time was 16.4lbs

then the second pic is of my 2013 stumpjumer fsr evo witch i just finished building
the build is:
rockshox revelation xx world cup fork, s-works carbon rear end, roval control sl trail (carbon) wheels. xtr shifters/front and rear derailer, xo cranks, thompson stem, spec command black light seat post, whiskey carbon handlebar, and magura mt8 brakes
finial weight for this is 24.5lbs

the last pic is just me racin on my Jet nine, witch im selling to build a carbon anthem.
Never seen a road bike like that.........
Old 02-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #204
mtb is on a distinguished road

Name: PJ
mtb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Never seen a road bike like that.........
its a smaller company but its awesome, super stiff and light

just about to put a power tap rear hub on there to give my coach some more accurate information during training... hoping to do well this year.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #205
mechanically retarded
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwall23 View Post
Just saw this thread and thought I would post. I just got into road cycling this past year and got a nice bike in September. I got a cannondale synapse carbon 3 ultegra. It's cold here, so I have ridden it a lot, but I did get a trainer and I have been riding it some inside.
another Synapse rider
Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #206
mechanically retarded
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

just about to put a power tap rear hub on there to give my coach some more accurate information during training... hoping to do well this year.
That tube coming out if the stem looks pretty painful if you fall the wrong way

Nice bike though
Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #207

mtb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
That tube coming out if the stem looks pretty painful if you fall the wrong way

Nice bike though
ha ha ha that was right before i cut the steer tube lol, its a lot saver now
Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #208
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

OK, my bad. Skipped the read & went straight to pics, saw the middle and right thumbnails and completely ignored the lefthand one which actually is a road bike Good call on the steerer trimmage, lol................
Old 02-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #209
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
That sub 25 Stumpy is sick PJ. Props! I wouldn't bother with the Anthem, but I guess for serious racer probably necessary evil.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #210
mechanically retarded

Are there any ill effects of swapping my front and rear tires? My rear tire is getting the flat line in the center.

Also when it comes time for new tires, anyone have recommendations? A few guys I talked to raved about the gatorskins. One guy bad a solid rubber tire, which he preceded to stab with a knife to show me haha.

Weight is not a big issue for me,
Old 02-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #211
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I swapped to 25s from the 23s that were on it before leaving the shop with the bike when I bought it because I'm not featherweight and do not like jacking with flats. I went with some Bontrager triple puncture resistant kevlar 700x 25s on mine. Have heard about the gatorskins too but haven't checked into them since I have had no issues with mine (knocks on wood)
Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #212

mtb's Tacoma Gallery
if your front and rear tires are the same then its no issue, swap away... road tires are just like truck tires they wear differently due to where the weight is, so rotating them will make them last a lot longer
Old 02-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #213

mtb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
That sub 25 Stumpy is sick PJ. Props! I wouldn't bother with the Anthem, but I guess for serious racer probably necessary evil.
thanks i am super excited to destroy on it lol. as for the anthem it is an amazing bike. if you ever rode the giant trance witch is a 5" trail bike that is what it feels like only with 29" wheels for better speed on the more open stuff... personally i prefer 26" bikes vs the 29er's just due to their flickable nature witch no 29er ive ridden so far truly replicates... but you cant really be that competitive at the moment in the upper levels of racing on a 26er anymore cause everyone else is on 29ers
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #214
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
if your front and rear tires are the same then its no issue, swap away... road tires are just like truck tires they wear differently due to where the weight is, so rotating them will make them last a lot longer
+2. The rear tire will wear alot quicker than the front as I found out so it is a good idea to rotate periodically. Run your finger on the inside of the tire and feel for thin spots.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #215
mechanically retarded

I'll be sure to swap them periodically and to check those tires out, thanks!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #216
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
Are there any ill effects of swapping my front and rear tires? My rear tire is getting the flat line in the center.

Also when it comes time for new tires, anyone have recommendations? A few guys I talked to raved about the gatorskins. One guy bad a solid rubber tire, which he preceded to stab with a knife to show me haha.

Weight is not a big issue for me,
I'm loving my gatorskins.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #217
wootalien is a jewel in the roughwootalien is a jewel in the roughwootalien is a jewel in the roughwootalien is a jewel in the rough
Name: Nathan
wootalien's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by andjenliang View Post
I don't mean to sound like a hater, but i understand your skepticism buying from ebay. Most of the taiwanese bike shops will sell their legit brand name goods and ship internationally to USA to make a profit because they realize that they pay a cheaper price than an American LBS that has to pay for importing and various taxes. In this past summer 6/12-8/12 i was in taiwan for a 240KM bike race, days before the race i brought in my bike for general maintenance and i looked at their prices and everything is way cheaper in taiwan. A Giant FCR Hybrid there cost around 250 USD, but in the US it is like 800 USD.
because buying in person is the same as buying online.

I ordered from merlincycles. Great reviews on the interwebs.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #218
focotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

focotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Salsa Campeon with Look Carbon Fork and Full Dura-Ace grupo, love the bike it is super light about 16 pounds (XL frame 61cm) not to mention stiff. (The frame is one of the few non-carbon road racing frames out there if your not familiar with it) It is made of a mix of Scandium and Carbon Fiber.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #219
Piratefish is on a distinguished road

Piratefish's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaniel1274 View Post
On Strava, great app on the Iphone. Does run the battery down fast, need to get a Garmin.
If youre on strava look me up. Dave Moore. Yeah I was using Endomondo for running on my phone. I have a Garmin edge 500 on my bike.

Im just starting out slow 20-25 mile rides couple a times a week mostly flats.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #220
mechanically retarded

Not bad for 35$

Also once I figure out how to price the pedals they will be up for sale. But I have not found any new or used ones to come up with a reasonable price for TW or an unreasonable price for CL

The are by LOOK, the pedals say AE.1 or AB.1...still cant decide if the "E" is suppose to be backwards or if its a "B" with out the vertical part

Products Discussed in this Thread