LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Cycling (Road Bike) Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #281
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Best road ride of the year. Speed was a little under what I'd hoped for.
90F and 14mph wind from south:

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/321520167
Old 07-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #282
mechanically retarded
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Why not just use a cliff bar wrapper or dollar bill? IMO the leathers probably way too thick.
If its just a little hole I'd just throw an extra patch on it and call it good, for a legit tear I wouldn't trust a dollar, especially with some of the roads I take

It's not "thick cut bacon" either, probably the thickness of the thinnest piece on your wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Best road ride of the year. Speed was a little under what I'd hoped for.
90F and 14mph wind from south:

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/321520167
Faster than I could have done nice job.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #283
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks TS
Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #284
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Well I broke down and ordered one of the ISM Adamo 'road' model seats. Seeing how my nads and friends are not 100% back to normal feeling and I havent been on a bike since last Monday (11 days ago), it was time to find a seat that doesnt make stuff go numb for days and days after a long ride.

I decided there is no way in hell I can use my aero bars with a traditional seat. Even on the hoods, with the seat angled down a hair (almost level), I feel like I'm squishing stuff that shouldn't be squished, so I know it's never gonna work with a traditionial seat, unless its at a 45 degree angle but then I would just slide off the front, add more weight to the wrists and get lower back problems.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #285

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
Well I broke down and ordered one of the ISM Adamo 'road' model seats. Seeing how my nads and friends are not 100% back to normal feeling and I havent been on a bike since last Monday (11 days ago), it was time to find a seat that doesnt make stuff go numb for days and days after a long ride.

I decided there is no way in hell I can use my aero bars with a traditional seat. Even on the hoods, with the seat angled down a hair (almost level), I feel like I'm squishing stuff that shouldn't be squished, so I know it's never gonna work with a traditionial seat, unless its at a 45 degree angle but then I would just slide off the front, add more weight to the wrists and get lower back problems.
Damn thats crazy. I've had buddies with similar issues but not for DAYS....yikes. I just get carpal tunnel syndrome. No nad issues thank goodness. Maybe you need a bike-fit session as well.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #286
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Damn thats crazy. I've had buddies with similar issues but not for DAYS....yikes. I just get carpal tunnel syndrome. No nad issues thank goodness. Maybe you need a bike-fit session as well.

I'm kinda husky (LOL) and old and was getting over a urinary track infection caused by prostate related crap before and during the ride. My big mistake was my seat wasn't tilted down enough to be in the aero bars for so much time. In fact is was barely good enough for the hoods. Got the new seat today and it should work wonders. I thought it would feel weird with all my stuff hanging off the front of the seat but it's friggin' comfy, on the hoods or the aero bars. Not as sexy looking as a traditional saddle but neither is an enlarged prostate I suppose lol.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #287
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys. Im starting to look for a road bike. Ive been mountain biking for a few years now and love it but now I think its time to continue my hobby to the street.

I will be getting a used bike. Is there anything that I should look for or steer clear of?

I believe I need a 58cm (large) frame bike. Im 5'11" and ride a large frame mtn bike.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #288
Kick His A$$ Seabass
TigerTaco is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Austin
TigerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Hey guys. Im starting to look for a road bike. Ive been mountain biking for a few years now and love it but now I think its time to continue my hobby to the street.

I will be getting a used bike. Is there anything that I should look for or steer clear of?

I believe I need a 58cm (large) frame bike. Im 5'11" and ride a large frame mtn bike.
It really depends on basically the length of your torso and inseam, as well as a few other factors. You really should get measured and sized cause it'll save you some pain(I had back pain for 1 month riding the wrong size). I'm 5'11" and I ride a 56 road bike and a 54 tri bike. Personal preference on what feels comfortable though.

As far as staying away from stuff, I can suggest what to get not really what not to because I've been lucky. Trek, Cervelo, and Pinarello are my favorites. All can be pricey, but Trek will be less in price for beginner bikes. You can also find some really good used bikes on craigslist. Good luck, being on the road is a lot of fun
Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #289
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTaco View Post
It really depends on basically the length of your torso and inseam, as well as a few other factors. You really should get measured and sized cause it'll save you some pain(I had back pain for 1 month riding the wrong size). I'm 5'11" and I ride a 56 road bike and a 54 tri bike. Personal preference on what feels comfortable though.

As far as staying away from stuff, I can suggest what to get not really what not to because I've been lucky. Trek, Cervelo, and Pinarello are my favorites. All can be pricey, but Trek will be less in price for beginner bikes. You can also find some really good used bikes on craigslist. Good luck, being on the road is a lot of fun

Thanks for the help I'll be cruising Clist for a used bike for sure.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #290
mechanically retarded
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

on craigslist people will try to pass off 7 or 8 year old ultegra/dura ace as a selling point...which its really not

As far as carbon fiber, I would never buy that used no matter how" new" the bike is.

If your buying a bike that is "basically brand new" or "barely ridden" compare the price to the price of a new one. if its only a few hundred dollars difference might as well get. new in because you have warranty coverage over everything for at least a year.

I'm 6'2 and I rider a 58 I'd get a 56. When I get a stiffer frame, it may be a 56.

Whats your price range? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #291
Kick His A$$ Seabass
TigerTaco is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Austin
TigerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely ask around at the bike shops around you for used bikes or shop bikes that the shops used. My brother picked up a shop bike that was 6 months old and 200 miles for $350 less than it should have been.

I've bought 2 bikes off of craigslist, so don't count that out completely. See if the seller will agree to go to a bike shop and allow you to get the bike checked over. I've done that a few times and it has turned out well. I've gotten it checked over for free and only once have I paid and it was $10. Just call the shops around and ask.

EDIT: Or just get new if you've got the $$$$. Definitely the best option.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #292
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Also look at Scott bikes, they have great carbon frames and aren't really that expensive compared to Specialized/Trek/etc...
Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #293

sweet. Thanks for the help guys. Id like to spend around 500 but I know that probably wont get me much so Im probably gonna be topped out at around 700.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #294
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty new to road biking but have been mountain biking my whole life. Anyway, I picked this up last summer:

My 2012 Specialized Allez Sport next to my 2013 Trd Sport For the longest time I was looking for a used one on ebay and craigslist, but I finally went to my local bike shop and ponied up the money for a new one. To me, the couple hundred extra dollars for a new one was worth the lifetime maintenance and connections through the bike shop.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #295
hpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Manie
hpvds's Tacoma Gallery
Just recently started, picked this up a few weeks ago. Massive improvement over riding my mtn. bike on the road.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #296
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I enjoy being on two wheels, though due to my spine injuries and wrist surgery, and after trying drop bar after drop bar and road bike after road bike I had no choice but to opt for something more fitness oriented. I'm enjoying it thoroughly though. Top speed so far has been 25.9 on flat ground and 28.5 downhill

7.5 FX

few other bikes with it:
Old 07-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #297
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post

You'll love the Adamo. I have one on my Felt B2 and won't be going back to a traditional saddle.

I did 68 miles in the pouring rain yesterday. The only reason I hate riding in the rain is the cleanup afterwards. The bike was a mess! I'm getting ready for the Hotter Than Hell tripple threat so I need some more saddle time.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #298
mechanically retarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
sweet. Thanks for the help guys. Id like to spend around 500 but I know that probably wont get me much so Im probably gonna be topped out at around 700.
Summer sales at a shop will be able to hook you up most likely. if you don't mind waiting and of he year sales will hit mid October or early November.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
You'll love the Adamo. I have one on my Felt B2 and won't be going back to a traditional saddle.

I did 68 miles in the pouring rain yesterday. The only reason I hate riding in the rain is the cleanup afterwards. The bike was a mess! I'm getting ready for the Hotter Than Hell tripple threat so I need some more saddle time.
you will be in my neck of the woods for the HHH then Im just doing the mountain bike race and the 10k trail run though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
Summer sales at a shop will be able to hook you up most likely. if you don't mind waiting and of he year sales will hit mid October or early November.

Picked up a '13 felt "closeout". the Z100
Old 07-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #300

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Dang you don't mess around Kevin! Great looking bike man. Felt makes good stuff.