LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Cycling (Road Bike) Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #341
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet Joint View Post
Old 09-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #342
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet Joint View Post
I may not attempt the tripple threat, but I plan on being there next year. I'll be camping again at MPEC as you can't get any closer to the action.

On another note, what's up with their not being any photos of the mountain bike races?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #343
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
I may not attempt the tripple threat, but I plan on being there next year. I'll be camping again at MPEC as you can't get any closer to the action.

On another note, what's up with their not being any photos of the mountain bike races?

I just checked and still not up for me either
Old 09-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #344
Rivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant futureRivet Joint has a brilliant future

Air Force: Contracting
Rivet Joint's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
I just checked and still not up for me either
yea that's weird. the century pics were up that night!
Old 09-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #345
TacoTrooper is on a distinguished road

Name: James
TacoTrooper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNothing321 View Post
Also look at Scott bikes, they have great carbon frames and aren't really that expensive compared to Specialized/Trek/etc...
I bought a Scott Speedster S20 back in May. Great bike, good price bit more than entry level but some solid components and a Carbon Fork.

Check out the Scotts!

Old 10-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #346
mechanically retarded
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
This is long over due but check it out

It rides awesome and I really like that style of bars but I think it may be for sale soon. I need something all-weather

But in other news...

Some 105 stuff popped up on CL. The guy was asking 150. When I met and looked everything over I offered 140 but he said no to 140 and gave it to me for 100 I actually felt kind of bad he did that. Maybe ill contact him and give him my take offs whenever that will happen

And in other other news...

Been rocking these serfas seca tires for a while now. I have literally taken chunks of glass and metal out of my tires with out it puncturing. They were a b-word to get on. I am dreading the day I actually get a puncture. About 600 miles and only complaint is that they wear kind of fast.

Thats all folks
Old 11-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #347
Beer
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody want go-fast bike stuff?

I have a pinarello prince frameset for sale (55cm)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291021377372...84.m1555.l2649

And reynolds dv46ul carbon tubular's....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291021385450...84.m1555.l2649

Would happily take off ebay and sell to a member on here if there's any interest.

I also have a wired powertap that I'll sell for pennies but haven't got around to listing yet...
Old 11-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #348
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Been going hard in the cyclocross. So. Damn. Fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Cycling (Road Bike) Thread-schooleymill1.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #349
Burrito Member
Sdfitted is on a distinguished road

Name: AJ
Sdfitted's Tacoma Gallery
hey if anyone can help, I want to get into road biking. My thinking is i can't afford to fork over 1000+ right now. I got a buddy with a scatante? He's upgrading and says he'll sell it to me for 200. Its an entry level road bike nothing fancy but my feeling is if I do like this sport I can upgrade components and eventually the frame and fork whatever from there down the road? if i don't like it I'm only out 200$ Do i have the right thinking here? Is it worth it buying something more expensive right off the bat? I have had a lot of hobbies over the years and I always learned i might as well have bought things individually and made it beast then buying something ready to go off the shelf. Any advice please!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #350
mechanically retarded
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Its a double edged sword with your first bike. You can buy something that will probably not last a long as you think or you can buy used and tough it out till you know you like it....

Scantante is performance bikes brand? I don't think you can go wrong with 200...unless it has like 120k miles on it. how old is it and what condition?

If the wheels and components need replacing might as well pass for a different use bike or save up for a new one.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #351
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
As long as it's sound and doesn't weigh a ton there isn't a reason not to give it a try. Now buying components separately is a good way to upgrade at your own pace but you also have to weigh in the overall cost. The manufacturers get components allot cheaper than the average consumer can get them so even though you can buy parts when you can afford to in the long run it may end up costing quite a bit more unless you buy used.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #352

It's tricky getting into the sport, because you are getting into something that will take you miles away from home, and you don't want to me left stranded. So you want to ensure whatever you buy is in good condition.

I didn't know any buddies into road biking, so no used bikes from trustworthy friends were available. If your buddy says it's good, then why not go for it.

That being said, you are going to love road biking, guaranteed, so maybe getting a bit better bike in the beginning is worth it.

I bought a mid-level entry bike, Scott Speedster S20 with a carbon fork. It has been awesome and put some 2000k on it my first season. No regrets.

One thing to note, the bike is only part of your costs. Gear costs a lot too, but the payoff is awesome.

Enjoy the sport!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #353
Burrito Member
Sdfitted is on a distinguished road

Name: AJ
Sdfitted's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies, all good points and I appreciate it. Taco trooper I think you're right I am pretty sure this is something I will love, right now my main exercise is surfing. I hate running or lifting weights, I need something with cardio and a challenge and this is also something i can do long term like surfing. Just want to do my homework thanks again guys!
Old 12-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #354
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdfitted View Post
Thanks for the replies, all good points and I appreciate it. Taco trooper I think you're right I am pretty sure this is something I will love, right now my main exercise is surfing. I hate running or lifting weights, I need something with cardio and a challenge and this is also something i can do long term like surfing. Just want to do my homework thanks again guys!
Go for a ride with your buddy and try it before you buy it to make sure it is sound and right size..........
Old 12-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdfitted View Post
I hear ya man... Not a gym fan myself, but went a lot before buying the bike. Contemplated for a long time and when I finally took the plunge I had no regrets. It's such a fun way to exercise, meet new people, and really challenge yourself. People who see you out riding are jealous, and your friends will totally comment on how fit you get.

I lost 20lbs in 4 months, and never saw results like that by going to the gym.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to get.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #356
mechanically retarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Anyway what a blast when your hard earned fitness shines through!!!
For some reason...this popped into my head today. The thought was "shit...my fitness is showing" as I held up traffic huffing and puffing up a hill
Old 12-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #357
Beer
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Got on the bike today for the first time in I don't know how long... a couple months? Felt good and surprisingly strong... got about 2hrs in. My rando bike is sooo much more comfortable than the carbon race bike I just sold. Kinda sucked to let it go but it didn't make sense to have any more.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #358
CMan is on a distinguished road
CMan's Tacoma Gallery
I really like my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine and I added the "Pro Flywheel". It cost a pretty penny, but it has a pretty decent "road" feel and when I stop pedalling, my wheel continues to spin for at least 30 seconds.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #359
Beer

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
I would get rollers over a trainer any day. Trainers are so freaking boring. Rollers make it more interesting and will improve your bike handling and pedal stroke.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #360
Louisd75 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLouisd75 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLouisd75 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLouisd75 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLouisd75 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLouisd75 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLouisd75 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLouisd75 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLouisd75 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLouisd75 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLouisd75 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Louisd75's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
I would get rollers over a trainer any day. Trainers are so freaking boring. Rollers make it more interesting and will improve your bike handling and pedal stroke.
I dunno, they're both pretty boring after a couple of hours. If you're a cyclist I'd recommend going rollers. If you're not a cyclist I'd recommend a trainer.

If you choose rollers, I'd recommend setting up in a hallway or doorway at first so that when you get that "oh crap" moment you can grab a wall to stay upright. Don't spend lots of time looking at the drums, ride them like you're on the road. Pick a spot a few bike lengths ahead of you and keep your eyes on that. And relax. Try not to look around too much while you're getting the hang of them, just watch up the "road" like if you were riding in the real world.

Products Discussed in this Thread