1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cycling (Road Bike) Thread

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by DNG, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Jun 7, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I have an 09 Trek 2.1, I like it, it does what I need. I like MTN biking more. I use to ride all the time with I lived in Pittsburgh. Great roads with lots of hills, very little flats but in ATL I pretty much gave it up, too many close calls. THeres only 1 place I like to ride and its about a 45 min drive and I just dont ahve the time to get up there and now its getting too freakin hot. Moving to Denver soon so hopefully there I can get back in it.

2. Jun 7, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Alright, seems like a good time to blow up a thread. Here ya go...........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not typical of what comes to mind when people think of a "road" bike but BAM! there ya go.

BoomBam likes this.
  3. Jun 7, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Looks purdy neat. Curious about the rear hub. Looks like it needs an 80cc motor.

4. Jun 7, 2012 at 8:05 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    It's pretty cool, shifts standing still or rollin, doesn't matter. Just a normal pedal backward coaster brake. Really made this a much more rideable bike than just around the block in the neighborhood. I've busted out on several 15-20 mile rides on this thing. Day & night. The light has a city light LED in it that will stay lit for 10 minutes or so when the bike isn't moving so you can still be seen from the front if stopping and generator isn't running the halogen. Runs off a capacitor in the light that the generator charges up. Also has an off/on/auto switch where the light knows if it is dark outside. Rides like a dream. It has more than 80cc motor when I'm on it lol.

5. Jun 10, 2012 at 12:29 AM
    400lbGorilla

400lbGorilla ^Son of a hamster, I smell of elderberries.

Member:
    First Name:
    T-LAM
    Ocean City, MD
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4X4 BASE
    Roof Rack, TRD exhaust, Hood Shield, Side Steps, 5% Tints, Tow Package, Bed Extender, Billies at 2.5, Toytec TSB AAL, Avid Offroad Bar, Cruise Control, Removed Sway, Hella 700s, 6000k HIDs, diff breather mod. DTRL, BHLM,Sockmonkyed.
    Yukon, I'm riding a Diamondback Podium 2 right now, I'm seriously considering upgrading to a CAAD10 Rival after this season...but I'm really torn between that and the Boardman Team Carbon with 105. Any input on the CAAD10 over the Carbon frame? I know the CAAD10 is very popular, what was the selling point for you?

6. Jun 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    YukonLT

YukonLT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cambridge, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 Timberland Mica
    none
    If you look back to post #18 I said that I switched what I'm getting now. I decided to step it up because I plan on starting racing soon, I wanna be CAT 4 by the Tour of the Battenkill next spring, which is held in my hometown. I can't give you any advice, sorry man...

7. Jun 11, 2012 at 4:53 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Removed the useless rear view mirror from left bar end, switched out red hoods back to black and retaped bars Saturday. Sunday did stupid hot 35 mile ride across surface of the sun from 12:30 - 3:30 in afternoon. Shade was scarce to none in a few stretches. Couldn't find Cytomax at house and ran out of water just as we were getting back to truck. Hamburgers for supper night before and sausage biscuits for breakfast made for a longer ride than the mileage suggests too. Definitely not performance food, lol. Didn't kill me so I guess now I'm stronger? Oh yeah, feelin that, lol....... few fon pics........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Jun 11, 2012 at 5:00 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
  9. Jun 11, 2012 at 5:14 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    ^^^^^^ummmm no, that doesn't work for me, lol. That's why I never had road bike until 2009 and why I don't do rides where I have to share the road with idiot drunks and textors in 2 ton rider splatterers. I ride dedicated bike only routes or maybe an organized ride here and there but mostly...fat tire bikes offroad. Riding in the roadway with vehicles is just a recipe for stupid and a deathwish as far as I'm concerned. I don't trust intestine viewing dipshits with my life, y'all have at it.

10. Jun 11, 2012 at 5:16 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    lol. dad has a road bike but never rides it. i have a mtn bike i ride some. also i hate riding on the road. for the same reason you do.

11. Jun 11, 2012 at 5:22 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    The rare times that I would ever have to ride on side of road to get from one trail to another where there are no sidewalks or other option, I ride facing traffic so I can bail if fuckers aren't paying attention and if riding against traffic, makes most people freak out and pay lots of attention. Works for me for the rare times it needs to occur. The road bike clipped in and unable to just bail offroad without crashing or fucking up the bike is completely another thing so I stick to dedicated bike paths for road riding. I have several different 50+ mile options round trip to do that so I have no need to do rides in traffic. I live on edge of country/surburbia and do have country road rides available with decent paved shoulders but still don't care for that. Less shade spots and rest stop areas too.

12. Jun 11, 2012 at 6:52 AM
    YukonLT

Member:
    Cambridge, NY
    Vehicle:
    none
    I'm completely blessed in the road regard, I can leave from my house and ride some of the most beautiful roads in the US. The Tour of the Battenkill is held in my hometown, and the race goes right past my house, love it!

13. Jun 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Yeah I'm right there with ya on road anxiety. I'm primarily a trail rider but do enjoy road rides. I live in a rural low traffic area but piss poor to no shoulders. I need a rear view camera for iPhone LOL.
    Did 41 miles yesterday in 90F heat. Wish I had a good local club/group.

14. Jun 17, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    YukonLT

Member:
    Cambridge, NY
    Vehicle:
    none
    Meant to post a pic of the new bike when I got it, so I'm a little late. Thing is crazy fast! BMC is definitely producing some nasty machines...4a432a8f-0a9d-240e_b0fe1dede38b94ded3695d8dcb50b717e77488eb.jpg4a432a8f-0aaf-e624_591b557dc01a6267b36ed80932924c2c4ff67067.jpg

15. Jun 17, 2012 at 3:11 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    :drool::rimshot::yay::cheers::bowdown::rasta::^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

16. Jun 18, 2012 at 4:59 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I dig the sram red stuff!

17. Jun 18, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    YukonLT

Member:
    Cambridge, NY
    Vehicle:
    none

That makes two of us lol

18. Jun 21, 2012 at 8:02 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I am getting ready to enter the road bike realm. I have a Trek 29er mountain bike and have decided to end my running workouts(too many knee problems). I test rode a Trek 2.1 Apex. Then I went to another bike shop and test rode two carbon fiber bikes=a Scott and a Norco. I really liked the Norco. Then the salesman sticks me on an aluminum frame bike and I couldn't believe the difference. I'm sure he did it on purpose by letting me test ride the carbon bikes first.

While testing the aluminum frame bike my dad calls me and asked what was up. I said I was test riding some bikes and he says, "you might want to hold off on buying a bike. I'll cut you a really good deal on my bike." My dad had purchased a Schwinn from Performance Bike a few years back. He said it was top of the line at the time and that everything is carbon fiber. He has only put about 150 miles on it.

He didn't know specifics of the model or the components but he believes everything is top of the line Shimano and the cranks are carbon fiber as well. Research has told me that around the timeframe he bought his bike it would be the Schwinn Peloton. If it truly has the top of the line Dura Ace componentry it would be the Limited.

The kicker to the whole thing is I would have to finance whatever bike I bought and the payment for this bike is---my labor helping him building his house. I might have to pay $100 for shipping when he brings it up with him to Washington. He lives and works in Riverside CA but flies up three times a month to work on his retirement home. He has a travel case for the bike so he is going to pack it up and put it on the plane when he comes up next weekend. I am so excited.

19. Jun 21, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Here's my cruiser. Took a flight to Colorado to get fitted for this baby. Could not ride road because of my bulging disk so I had to do it right so there won't be any pain. Took 12 weeks for it to arrive but it was well worth the wait. My test ride on an off the shelf Specialized Dolce hurt me after 10 mins.

My first ride on this was four hours and I could have gone longer.

[​IMG]

20. Jul 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Wow babytruck! that is supersweet. Ti?

Alright I might have a buyer for my old Giant and here is what I'm looking at. Thoughts please:
    http://www.roadbikeoutlet.com/sporting-goods-outdoor-recreation-cycling-bicycles-road-bikes.html

and

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&OPTION=LOAD_PRODUCT_BY_ID&PRODUCT.ID=11278

The Kestrel is free shipping and the Litespeed is 99$ to ship. Litesp has way better wheels and better looks.
    Kestrel has internal cable routing and $500 less.

Whadyall think?

Products Discussed in

To Top