Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Cycling (Road Bike) Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #21
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 09 Trek 2.1, I like it, it does what I need. I like MTN biking more. I use to ride all the time with I lived in Pittsburgh. Great roads with lots of hills, very little flats but in ATL I pretty much gave it up, too many close calls. THeres only 1 place I like to ride and its about a 45 min drive and I just dont ahve the time to get up there and now its getting too freakin hot. Moving to Denver soon so hopefully there I can get back in it.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #22
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
On a seperate but kinda relevant note...I need to post up some pics of my Electra Jeremy that has Nexus 7spd internal gear coaster brake hub, Nexus front generator hub with 3 watt light, sealed crank bearings, etc.........It is a "road" bike but is more like cruising a recliner down the street, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
^^^^do post!
Alright, seems like a good time to blow up a thread. Here ya go...........

Not typical of what comes to mind when people think of a "road" bike but BAM! there ya go.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #23
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Looks purdy neat. Curious about the rear hub. Looks like it needs an 80cc motor.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #24
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It's pretty cool, shifts standing still or rollin, doesn't matter. Just a normal pedal backward coaster brake. Really made this a much more rideable bike than just around the block in the neighborhood. I've busted out on several 15-20 mile rides on this thing. Day & night. The light has a city light LED in it that will stay lit for 10 minutes or so when the bike isn't moving so you can still be seen from the front if stopping and generator isn't running the halogen. Runs off a capacitor in the light that the generator charges up. Also has an off/on/auto switch where the light knows if it is dark outside. Rides like a dream. It has more than 80cc motor when I'm on it lol.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #25
^Son of a hamster, I smell of elderberries.
400lbGorilla is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: OS
Name: T-LAM
400lbGorilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonLT View Post
Riding a Cannondale Synapse with 105 right now, just ordered a Cannondale CAAD10 Dura Ace...can't wait to get it in
Yukon, I'm riding a Diamondback Podium 2 right now, I'm seriously considering upgrading to a CAAD10 Rival after this season...but I'm really torn between that and the Boardman Team Carbon with 105. Any input on the CAAD10 over the Carbon frame? I know the CAAD10 is very popular, what was the selling point for you?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #26
YukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of light
YukonLT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400lbGorilla View Post
Yukon, I'm riding a Diamondback Podium 2 right now, I'm seriously considering upgrading to a CAAD10 Rival after this season...but I'm really torn between that and the Boardman Team Carbon with 105. Any input on the CAAD10 over the Carbon frame? I know the CAAD10 is very popular, what was the selling point for you?
If you look back to post #18 I said that I switched what I'm getting now. I decided to step it up because I plan on starting racing soon, I wanna be CAT 4 by the Tour of the Battenkill next spring, which is held in my hometown. I can't give you any advice, sorry man...
Old 06-11-2012, 04:53 AM   #27
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Removed the useless rear view mirror from left bar end, switched out red hoods back to black and retaped bars Saturday. Sunday did stupid hot 35 mile ride across surface of the sun from 12:30 - 3:30 in afternoon. Shade was scarce to none in a few stretches. Couldn't find Cytomax at house and ran out of water just as we were getting back to truck. Hamburgers for supper night before and sausage biscuits for breakfast made for a longer ride than the mileage suggests too. Definitely not performance food, lol. Didn't kill me so I guess now I'm stronger? Oh yeah, feelin that, lol....... few fon pics........

Old 06-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #29
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

^^^^^^ummmm no, that doesn't work for me, lol. That's why I never had road bike until 2009 and why I don't do rides where I have to share the road with idiot drunks and textors in 2 ton rider splatterers. I ride dedicated bike only routes or maybe an organized ride here and there but mostly...fat tire bikes offroad. Riding in the roadway with vehicles is just a recipe for stupid and a deathwish as far as I'm concerned. I don't trust intestine viewing dipshits with my life, y'all have at it.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:16 AM   #30
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^^^^^^ummmm no, that doesn't work for me, lol. That's why I never had road bike until 2009 and why I don't do rides where I have to share the road with idiot drunks and textors in 2 ton rider splatterers. I ride dedicated bike only routes or maybe an organized ride here and there but mostly...fat tire bikes offroad. Riding in the roadway with vehicles is just a recipe for stupid and a deathwish as far as I'm concerned. I don't trust intestine viewing dipshits with my life, y'all have at it.
lol. dad has a road bike but never rides it. i have a mtn bike i ride some. also i hate riding on the road. for the same reason you do.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:22 AM   #31
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The rare times that I would ever have to ride on side of road to get from one trail to another where there are no sidewalks or other option, I ride facing traffic so I can bail if fuckers aren't paying attention and if riding against traffic, makes most people freak out and pay lots of attention. Works for me for the rare times it needs to occur. The road bike clipped in and unable to just bail offroad without crashing or fucking up the bike is completely another thing so I stick to dedicated bike paths for road riding. I have several different 50+ mile options round trip to do that so I have no need to do rides in traffic. I live on edge of country/surburbia and do have country road rides available with decent paved shoulders but still don't care for that. Less shade spots and rest stop areas too.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #32
YukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of light
YukonLT's Tacoma Gallery
I'm completely blessed in the road regard, I can leave from my house and ride some of the most beautiful roads in the US. The Tour of the Battenkill is held in my hometown, and the race goes right past my house, love it!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #33
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I'm right there with ya on road anxiety. I'm primarily a trail rider but do enjoy road rides. I live in a rural low traffic area but piss poor to no shoulders. I need a rear view camera for iPhone LOL.
Did 41 miles yesterday in 90F heat. Wish I had a good local club/group.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #34
YukonLT's Tacoma Gallery
Meant to post a pic of the new bike when I got it, so I'm a little late. Thing is crazy fast! BMC is definitely producing some nasty machines...
Old 06-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #35

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
:^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 06-18-2012, 04:59 AM   #36
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I dig the sram red stuff!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #37
YukonLT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I dig the sram red stuff!

That makes two of us lol
Old 06-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #38
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I am getting ready to enter the road bike realm. I have a Trek 29er mountain bike and have decided to end my running workouts(too many knee problems). I test rode a Trek 2.1 Apex. Then I went to another bike shop and test rode two carbon fiber bikes=a Scott and a Norco. I really liked the Norco. Then the salesman sticks me on an aluminum frame bike and I couldn't believe the difference. I'm sure he did it on purpose by letting me test ride the carbon bikes first.

While testing the aluminum frame bike my dad calls me and asked what was up. I said I was test riding some bikes and he says, "you might want to hold off on buying a bike. I'll cut you a really good deal on my bike." My dad had purchased a Schwinn from Performance Bike a few years back. He said it was top of the line at the time and that everything is carbon fiber. He has only put about 150 miles on it.

He didn't know specifics of the model or the components but he believes everything is top of the line Shimano and the cranks are carbon fiber as well. Research has told me that around the timeframe he bought his bike it would be the Schwinn Peloton. If it truly has the top of the line Dura Ace componentry it would be the Limited.

The kicker to the whole thing is I would have to finance whatever bike I bought and the payment for this bike is---my labor helping him building his house. I might have to pay $100 for shipping when he brings it up with him to Washington. He lives and works in Riverside CA but flies up three times a month to work on his retirement home. He has a travel case for the bike so he is going to pack it up and put it on the plane when he comes up next weekend. I am so excited.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #39
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my cruiser. Took a flight to Colorado to get fitted for this baby. Could not ride road because of my bulging disk so I had to do it right so there won't be any pain. Took 12 weeks for it to arrive but it was well worth the wait. My test ride on an off the shelf Specialized Dolce hurt me after 10 mins.

My first ride on this was four hours and I could have gone longer.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #40

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Wow babytruck! that is supersweet. Ti?

Alright I might have a buyer for my old Giant and here is what I'm looking at. Thoughts please:
http://www.roadbikeoutlet.com/sporti...oad-bikes.html

and

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...ODUCT.ID=11278

The Kestrel is free shipping and the Litespeed is 99$ to ship. Litesp has way better wheels and better looks.
Kestrel has internal cable routing and $500 less.

Whadyall think?

Products Discussed in this Thread