Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Cycling (Road Bike) Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #41
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, it's ti. Love it love it love it.

You might want to google for damaged frames on both names. Or rather, for any name cf frame. I can't recall off hand but there was one manufacturer that had issues with stress breaks near the head tube, and some near the bb due to flex. Either way, I'm thinking it may have been a frame from China.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #42
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Who is watching the le Tour de France?

I'd like to see Orica Green Edge get a stage win

I ride a Scott CR1 Comp, I used to race for my college team.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:09 AM   #43
YukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of light
YukonLT's Tacoma Gallery
I have been following the TDF closely. I'm routing for the BMC guys, naturally lol. Cancellara was stupid fast in the prologue! Cavendish had a great day yesterday...we shall see how it goes. The BMC team is just stacked with talent though...
Old 07-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #44
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
here is the current frame. Scott CR1 SL

Here is the previous bike(Sold frame, components now on Scott frame)

Also have a Trek "Gary Fisher Collection" Presidio Cross bike.

Other previous bikes owned, but no pictures include:
2008 Intense Fenix w/full DA build
2007 Felt F75
1984 and 1986 Specialized Allez

I like bikes.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #45
wootalien is a jewel in the roughwootalien is a jewel in the roughwootalien is a jewel in the roughwootalien is a jewel in the rough
Name: Nathan
wootalien's Tacoma Gallery
What are some good companies out there other than Rapha or Torm that make classic jerseys? I am looking for that retro look but don't want to pay 200+ for a jersey.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #46
coylifut is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoylifut is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoylifut is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoylifut is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoylifut is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoylifut is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoylifut is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoylifut is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoylifut is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoylifut is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoylifut is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: tk
coylifut's Tacoma Gallery
you could simply buy a retro jersey on ebay from the 70s and 80s. I've purchased a few over the years for $25 or so.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #47
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Nice thread! I put my 1971 Schwinn Super Sport back on the road this year. I got it new back in the day. Don't really use it that much, but it's in working order. I mostly ride a Jamis Coda Comp hybrid now, easier on the back and wrists for me. The roadies pass me like I'm standing still!

Old 07-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #48
The lice...they hate the sugar
Richard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ted
Richard Cranium's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know a ton about bikes but I like to ride when I can. Still rockin' n' rollin' on my old Trek I got a bout 10 years ago. I'm looking to get a fixie though and I found these - http://purefixcycles.com/
Seems like a decent price, neat looking bike and color options. Pretty bare bones - exactly what I'm looking for.

Any other options/recommendations? Thoughts/comments?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #49
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely intriguing, but I've never seen or ridden a fixie. Does look like a challenge, not being able to stop pedaling and coast with the pedal stationary.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #50
Richard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Definitely intriguing, but I've never seen or ridden a fixie. Does look like a challenge, not being able to stop pedaling and coast with the pedal stationary.
Thought the same thing, then I saw this...

http://vimeo.com/27267050

Flipping the rear allows for single gear coasting or fixed skidder.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #51

Bit the bullet yesterday...should be here next week with a set of drops

Old 07-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #52

And here it is...
Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #53
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I found an old Schwinn Super Sport on Craigslist yesterday. Today I drove up to Vermont to look at it. Basically a brand new 40 year old bike, nice vintage steel frame, almost perfect condition. Needs cleaning, bearings greased and new cables and pads, and it fits me like a glove! Pictures tomorrow, it's dark out now.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #54
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a crappy cell pic of the bike my dad gave me. Mostly carbon fiber except for the seat tube and head tube. All Dura Ace except the cranks, seatpost and bars are FSA carbon fiber and the wheels are Mavic Ksyrium SL. I just bought some speedplay pedals. I have put on about 225 miles on it already. I am working up to doing STP next year.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #55
four forty four

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
I found an old Schwinn Super Sport on Craigslist yesterday. Today I drove up to Vermont to look at it. Basically a brand new 40 year old bike, nice vintage steel frame, almost perfect condition. Needs cleaning, bearings greased and new cables and pads, and it fits me like a glove! Pictures tomorrow, it's dark out now.
Here it is

Old 07-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #56
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here it is

Love it Dave, a classic! What are some of the specs?
Old 07-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #57
four forty four

Quote:
Originally Posted by squad314 View Post
Love it Dave, a classic! What are some of the specs?
Hi Marc, been a while! It's a 1971 Schwinn Super Sport, 22" frame, hand filleted in Chicago. Not a top of the line bike, but it was fairly high end in 1971. I took it apart today and I'm going to update some of the components. It's got a one piece forged crank that weighs a ton, so I'm going to replace it with something a little more modern, a Shimano 105.
I'll need a conversion kit for it, so I'm looking into that today. I've got another bike just like it, but one size larger and it's too big for me. I'm 5'7. The other one is the bike I had as a kid, it was always to big for me, so I finally found one like it in the correct size. I took a few pictures while I was working on it this afternoon. This is it stripped down and cleaned up.
Here is the old one piece crank, weighs close to 5 lbs.

This is the Shimano crank I'm going to put in, found it in a flea market cheap.
It's got some decent aluminum wheels, center pull brakes, and a nice old Brooks leather saddle.
Hope things are going good Mark, take care.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #58
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hi Marc, been a while! It's a 1971 Schwinn Super Sport, 22" frame, hand filleted in Chicago. Not a top of the line bike, but it was fairly high end in 1971. I took it apart today and I'm going to update some of the components. It's got a one piece forged crank that weighs a ton, so I'm going to replace it with something a little more modern, a Shimano 105.
I'll need a conversion kit for it, so I'm looking into that today. I've got another bike just like it, but one size larger and it's too big for me. I'm 5'7. The other one is the bike I had as a kid, it was always to big for me, so I finally found one like it in the correct size. I took a few pictures while I was working on it this afternoon. This is it stripped down and cleaned up.
Here is the old one piece crank, weighs close to 5 lbs.

This is the Shimano crank I'm going to put in, found it in a flea market cheap.
It's got some decent aluminum wheels, center pull brakes, and a nice old Brooks leather saddle.
Hope things are going good Mark, take care.
Things are awesome Dave, nice to chat......I just love old stuff like that and the reward for your investment margin is huge! I just spent a weekend cleaning up a Philco refrigerator from the 50's, it's like the '57 Chev of fridges!

Enjoy the Scwinn project, looking forward to seeing the finished product. I wondered about the saddle in particular....Those Brooks' are fantastic.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #59
four forty four

Quote:
Originally Posted by squad314 View Post
Things are awesome Dave, nice to chat......I just love old stuff like that and the reward for your investment margin is huge! I just spent a weekend cleaning up a Philco refrigerator from the 50's, it's like the '57 Chev of fridges!

Enjoy the Scwinn project, looking forward to seeing the finished product. I wondered about the saddle in particular....Those Brooks' are fantastic.
I guess we have a lot of the same hobbies, I spend a lot of time working on old stuff. Last electronic thing I fixed up was an old drug store milk shake mixer, a Hamilton Beach from the 40's or early 50's. Take care.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #60
423Mram is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
423Mram's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for some advice on a new bike. Currently have a POS 40lb+ department store "mountain" bike that I have grown tired of and am looking to upgrade to something better. I ride mostly paved biked trails, with a few miles of street to get to the trail from home and then back. I ride about two or three times a week, one/two times during the week and once on the weekend. Typically my weekday rides are from 20-30 miles, with my weekend rides getting to about 40 miles, haven't been able to get past about 41.5 miles. I was thinking that given the amount of effort/energy I give to hit those distances with the POS bike I currently have, if I had a road bike I could go much further with less effort. Would I be right with that assumption?

I am a clyde, so unsure if that affects which route I should go. Would it be better for me to get a hybrid bike, that is more road than mountain? Or get a proper road bike. A buddy said that given my size I would be better off with a more upright position of a road hybrid type than a road bike. And also the slightly wider tires on a hybrid is better for clydes. Any input/advice would be appreciated.

Products Discussed in this Thread