Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Any Stand Up Paddle Surfs on here.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Ben
08WhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Any Stand Up Paddle Surfs on here.

I have been really getting into this sport and I hope to soon be able to do it. I know being in Alaska might be a bit of a challenge but it looks super fun. Anyone on here do it??? Looking for a board right now. I hope to be doing it by the start of next summer!!!

Old 11-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
Tacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the rough

Tacoma02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I never knew this sport existed! Looks pretty intense good luck with it in Alaska.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Ben
08WhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma02TRD View Post
I never knew this sport existed! Looks pretty intense good luck with it in Alaska.
Yeah it does looks intense. One of the many reasons I want to do it. I hear it is a super good workout too. We have some pretty calm waters around Anchorage and there are plenty of lakes to go to. The water is pretty cold most of the time. Looks like a wetsuit is on the wish list too.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
Tacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the rough

Tacoma02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I would say a wet suit would be a wise investment! Let us know how it goes once you get a chance to try it out.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
Erich
Surferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Erich
Surferdude's Tacoma Gallery
SUP is awesome.

So, found this super old thread while looking for SUP rack ideas.

Yes, Stand Up Paddleboarding is awesome! Great workout, great way to surf, especially in the Midwest, brrr...

Problem I now have, after trading in my QC Dodg Ram Beast, my 10'6" SUP won't fit well in my 5' bed.

Bummer.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
Quo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Paul
Quo Fan's Tacoma Gallery
Learned SUP while vacationing in the 808 from my cousin. Super easy, great upper body workout.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
Banff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
Banff2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I am also trying to get into it as well. Found this website selling paddle boards and some good information as to which board would be good for you.

http://www.paddleboarddirect.com/
Old 11-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
Erich
Surferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Costco of all places

Bought my first SUP from costco, great to learn on and have friends, strangers, anybody try. Absolute blast at the lake on weekends.

Upgraded to a Hobie 10'6" SUP and it's awesome, surfs waves better, is faster and just plain fun.

Now, any ideas how to best transport these in my new Taco?

My old Ram it fit into the bed with only a few feet sticking out. Now with a puny 5' bed, 5'6" will be sticking out. I suppose since it's in a board bag, tying it down I can still transport in the bed but, it's going to look odd.

If any SUPers are here in the midwest give me a shout, Lake Michigan is awesome paddling.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
Erich

Marines:
Me and my longboard quiver

Thought I'd post this for some board ideas for those looking. Ignore the goof (me) in the middle.

Board on left is my G&S 9'2" longboard, surfboard that is. Not a SUP.
Center is my Costco 10'6" beginner SUP.
Far right is my 10'6" hobie SUP.

Any Stand Up Paddle Surfs on here.-img_0206.jpg

Here's me surfing Lake Michigan on a crappy day, it does get better, but only when it gets colder, brrr...

Any Stand Up Paddle Surfs on here.-img_9037.jpg
Old 03-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
Waikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Waikoloa Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Old tread revival.

We - me, wife and daughter all SUP. Have a 11' NSP, 10' Hawaii SUP and 9'6" Hulakai. Have introduced all our visitors and a few friends to the sport. Great whole body workout. Even helping me learn to surf again.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
I want to do it SO BAD! But I don't live in Tampa anymore...

I saw a ton of people doing it in Austin, though!
Old 03-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
It is nice to get out and paddle around the harbor, have not been out in the open ocean yet!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
Erich

Marines:
SUPATx

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
I want to do it SO BAD! But I don't live in Tampa anymore...

I saw a ton of people doing it in Austin, though!
You'r in luck in Austin, one of the biggest distributors of SUPs is there: SUPATX.COM

They have a great Facebook page too.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
Erich

Marines:
Latest Truck MOD: SUP Support!

Okay, it's not really a mod but a great way to transport my 10'6" SUP. Good ole Harbor Freight, $60 later I have this bad boy. Even comes with a lil red flag I didn't attach just yet.

Any Stand Up Paddle Surfs on here.-truckwithsup.jpg

With the recent warm weather, I plan on hitting the lake soon! But dang, I better not fall in cause that water was frozen just a couple weeks ago.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #16
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferdude View Post
You'r in luck in Austin, one of the biggest distributors of SUPs is there: SUPATX.COM

They have a great Facebook page too.
Dude, if only I was so lucky as to live in Austin...
Old 03-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
Erich

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Dude, if only I was so lucky as to live in Austin...
Oh my bad, I thought you were in TX for some reason. Bummer!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #18
Tasty fish in a tortilla
SalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
SalmonTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2 inflatable SUPs that are pretty sweet. They actually inflate pretty hard (12psi) and don't get dings like a standard board. And I get to use the power outlet in the bed of my truck to get them mostly inflated.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
Erich

Marines:
iSUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonTaco View Post
I have 2 inflatable SUPs that are pretty sweet. They actually inflate pretty hard (12psi) and don't get dings like a standard board. And I get to use the power outlet in the bed of my truck to get them mostly inflated.
Which brands do you have? I was looking at the Tower boards, as they're the least expensive I've seen.
Currently $395, which is a damn good deal IMO. Would be nice to have on my motorcycle trips!

http://www.towerpaddleboards.com/Inf...-twr-bnc-6.htm
Old 03-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #20
Erich

Marines:
News Flash, better price!

If anyone wants to get an inflatable SUP, here's a great deal. I just bought one. It's only good for 24 hours.

www.towerpaddleboards.com

The 4" thick is only $295, the 6" thick is $395, both are great deals.

I got the 4" for my daughter to learn on and for the occasional trip when I can't lug my regular SUP board along, like on my motorcycle of flying somewhere.

I also picked up the 3 piece paddle for the same reason.

These are NOT high performance "boards" by any stretch, but they will get you on the water and having fun! Particularly in places or times when you otherwise couldn't.

Oh btw, they will be on Shark Tank tonight on ABC, 7 CST.

Any questions why I like SUP?
Any Stand Up Paddle Surfs on here.-nicole-scherzinger.jpeg