1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NEW Snowboard

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Hambone155, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Nov 9, 2008 at 9:25 PM
    Hambone155

Hambone155 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    Causing Butthurt is my job
    port and polish intake manifold, supercharger, pulley for charger, lifted, tires, deckplate, (doing full engine build)
    im not an avid snowboarder but my friends think im good anyway i need a new board

im in deep
    im looking at a Forum recon
    http://www.the-house.com/snbd-forum...&refine.price=190.00+-+219.99&itemsperpage=16

im just shy of 6foot like 5'11 and close as balls! anyway im also a bean poll im only a 160. whats the right size for a board for me?
    i used to have a 133, short!
    any one know where a allright to stay in copper mt is?

2. Nov 10, 2008 at 6:45 AM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    I am 5/11 and I have a 160. It's a good length for me. all my buddies are around the same height and our boards range from 159 to 161. Don't know if that helps you any

3. Nov 10, 2008 at 7:12 AM
    Hambone155

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    port and polish intake manifold, supercharger, pulley for charger, lifted, tires, deckplate, (doing full engine build)
    better then nothing

thanks

4. Nov 10, 2008 at 7:52 AM
    Beeg

Beeg Active Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    What kind of riding do you like to do? Park/pipe/freestyle vs freeride? I'm 5'10" and have had a variety of sizes. I rode a 153-55 which was fun for tricks, but lacked overall performance. I prefer big mountain/freeride type terrain. I like to cruise, and hit the steep and deep vs anything close to the terrain park. My main board now is a 161. It's great all around. My splitboard is 165 since we're mostly riding in powder and the extra length is nice. But I would find the 165 a little long for resort riding.

I would look for a 158-162 with a with a medium flex or basically a more freeride type board. Unless you're planning to just hike the pipe all day, you don't want a board that's too flimsy. Those boards are great going fakie half cab tuna roll off the box, but won't stand up with the various snow conditions you could face and different terrain like flying throught the trees, powder, corn, ice, etc. But it's all opinion and you can still ride whatever you want on any type of board.

Not sure about places to stay. I never stay for the night since I can ski for the day and come home or know people in the area to stay with or have their own place. If you don't mind driving 20 or so minutes, you could save some cash by staying in Silverthorne, Dillon or Frisco and be able to ski any of the other places too like Breck, Keystone, A-Basin. But if you're just going for Copper, maybe Google Leadville. It's not far past Copper and you leave behind a lot of the Summit County traffic. There's probably some deals now online if you want to stay at the actual resort. If you need lift tickets hit up a local King Soopers grocery in Denver on your way through. They usually sell lift tickets and save you $10-15 vs just paying at the mountain.

Now when you turn 21, we'll talk about Apres` Ski. :)

5. Nov 10, 2008 at 9:45 AM
    Hambone155

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    sweet! thanks that was very useful!

6. Nov 10, 2008 at 10:39 AM
    spaghettiedy

spaghettiedy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Sport in Black 4x4
    Gray Weathertechs, LG Wet Okoles, Tacome OEM Bedmat
    What's your boot size? From my experience, 15 years, this to me is what matters more than height and weight. All to a point of course. If your boots are dragging, it doesn't matter what the lenght of the board is, you'll be out of control. I have a size 10 1/2 or 11 boot, and this is probably the cutoff for regular boards. Anything over, you'll have to get a "wide" version.

I would say for your height 150-165. This is a big range because I don't know what you're doing on the mountain. Park/jib stick w/ lower lenghts, all mountain in the middle, and powder/freeride go w/ higher lenghts.

There are so many varibles in snowboarding. Flex, length, width, side-cut, brand, running edge, COST, ect.

If you worried about cost, get last years model for sure. You'll save a bunch. I got a "last year's model" Burton Custom X w/ bindings and saved 500. Great board, highly recommended.

7. Nov 10, 2008 at 10:41 AM
    spaghettiedy

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    I can't wait to board again!!!

P.S. - All you guys out west SUCK! I'm soo envious that you have those big mountains.

8. Nov 10, 2008 at 11:03 AM
    Dentinskillet

Dentinskillet Member

Member:
    Greeley CO
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    3inch fabtech suspention lift, 285/75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, 16x8.5 Dick Cepek DC-1
    My girlfriends sister is a simi pro and she says if you have never heard of it dont get it. When it comes to snowboards she says you pay for what you get. She has to get a new board every year because she uses it so much. But I have had mine for 4 years and its still going strong. What kind of runs do you do? If just down hill I would stick with a wood core, but if you do a lot of jumps back runs or rails I would say a fiberglass core, they have a lot more flex. Go to a local store and just see what size looks good to you. They usally say between your chin and your nose for a good size. Mine is a bit bigger to my eyes, but I live in colorado and do ALOT of fresh powder boarding.. Thats about all I got man.. good luck

9. Nov 10, 2008 at 2:04 PM
    Hambone155

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    im more into park and rails but i love freeriding back county
    really ive never ridden a real park just some crap about a half hour away its a bunny slope compared to colorado
    im about a 10 or 10.5 boot plus my feet arnt getting bigger i pray!
    me and my friends do alot of urban stuff. rails wall rides (witch tear a board up thats one reason i need a new one) and just jumps over stuff
    i hit a jump last winter that was to clear a 8 foot fence and then down a steep hill. it was the rush of a life time! so i need to prsue this

thanks to all of you who have helped! this means alot to know i can come here for darn near anything!

10. Nov 10, 2008 at 9:14 PM
    Hambone155

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    i went out to our local board store and bought a burton

HIGH FIVE! cant wait to ride it now.
    im horny for snow and colorado!

11. Nov 11, 2008 at 5:51 AM
    spaghettiedy

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    Good job, I like Burton. My CustomX grips, rides, flys, grinds, and everything else like no one's business. It was my 1st Burton, and it's the best all-mountain board I've ever road.

To all the out west riders: If I go on vacation to ride, where should I go? When should I go? Best time of the year for rates? I want the best snowboarding for my money, lodging is not as important. BEST BANG FOR MY BUCK!

Thanks

12. Nov 11, 2008 at 6:32 AM
    slo2sixty

slo2sixty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Syracuse, NY
    Vehicle:
    19 cement DCSB TRD offroad
    i just bought the ride dh2 with ride contraban bindings..... i got to ride them last year b4 they came out :D.... Awsome park combo

13. Nov 11, 2008 at 8:00 AM
    Beeg

Beeg Active Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    A lot of choices spaghettiedy. I've mostly been all around Colorado. I can't comment much on who has the best terrain park or pipe. Silverton is a different experience, if you like pow and steeps. But to fully enjoy it you need to be a pretty decent skier. Telluride is a lot fun, but pretty popular. Wolf Creek is great if they get a good dump and is less developed (for now). Monarch is also a fun little ski area. Same with Monarch, fun little area and just past it is Crested Butte which is a kick ass fun town with great skiing. On the other side of the state Steamboat has it's perks as well. These places are off the main stream I-70 Summit County stretch (Breck, Keystone, Copper Mt, Winter Park, Vail/Beaver Creek, A-Basin). Holidays are the busiest. There's a lot speculation on how well the ski areas will do with the ecconomy so there might be some killer deals to book into right now in advance.

Beyond Colorado Jackson is one of my favorites in Wyoming. Same with Grand Targhee. Been there quite a few times. Jackson put in a new tram this year as well. Or go check out Big Sky in Montana. Really fun. I had a great time at Bridger Bowl too up a little farther north.

Never skied Utah, but really want to go. Fly into Salt Lake and you have many different options. Maybe some of the California fold will chime in. Great areas out there. Tahoe looks like it would be fun. If I were planning a trip I'd probably head up into Canada. Either Alberta or B.C. Lot's of choices up there.

14. Nov 11, 2008 at 8:18 AM
    spaghettiedy

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Beeg

15. Nov 11, 2008 at 8:47 AM
    Beeg

Beeg Active Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Sure thing spaghettiedy. Hope you get a trip together.

16. Nov 11, 2008 at 9:09 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    My favorite place in CO when i went was A-Basin, You will not find an atmosphere anywhere like you will at A-Basin. Bad ass bording, and kick ass people. We drove to CO last march for a week. The first day we went to Loveland, every other day we rode at A-Basin, You cant beat the car pool lift tkt price, and the beach is the best thing on any mountain. Hands down my favorite place. Good prices on places to stay in Frisco too, and its close to alot of other places as Beeg said.

17. Nov 11, 2008 at 9:57 AM
    Beeg

Beeg Active Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Love the beach at A-basin. I try and hit the Thrift Store Ski Party every year, www.thriftstoreskiparty.com. Debauchery at it's best! Too bad the mgmt doesn't allow camping in the main parking lot anymore. We used to pull in around 7pm or so and get prime parking. Then set up the ski-b-que and party all night. Now they close and gate off the main lot, but I think you can still spend the night in one of the upper lots. I haven't tried camping up there in a couple years so that might have changed.

Products Discussed in

To Top