Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Skiing BS Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
Skiing BS Thread

Saw there was a snowboarding bs thread, so I figured us skiers should step up to the plate too. I know there's some of you out there, give a shout out! 2011-12 season here we come!

Picking up these bad boys in a month or so:
http://volkl.com/ski/skiis/models/mantra
Old 11-11-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
HEAVY WT will become famous soon enoughHEAVY WT will become famous soon enough
Name: Matthew
HEAVY WT's Tacoma Gallery
Can't wait to go skiing. Trying to get 2 trips in this year (much harder to ski a lot living in FL, people look at me funny when I pick my skis up in the airport at home!)

Wanted to go back to Steamboat this year, but the group though Breck was easier. Also want to try a Mt Hood trip after spring break. Any one ski over/up there?
Old 11-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAVY WT View Post
Can't wait to go skiing. Trying to get 2 trips in this year (much harder to ski a lot living in FL, people look at me funny when I pick my skis up in the airport at home!)

Wanted to go back to Steamboat this year, but the group though Breck was easier. Also want to try a Mt Hood trip after spring break. Any one ski over/up there?
haha, same here. i head up to virginia for a few weeks every winter and usually make it out to colorado or utah once a year during that time, but florida does cut down on ski time. I'm headed out to colorado (Breckenridge area) this year for the week before christmas, i'm pumped!

Old 11-11-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I was looking for a ski thread. I'm trying to make my first trip out west this yr. We are going to Utah not sure where yet. We are trying to move to Utah when my wife is done with school in the spring so we are gonna scout out some areas while we're there as well. Only thing that sucks is that it looks like we can only go the week between Christmas and New yrs. All the prices are jacked up!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
cstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carl
cstephan's Tacoma Gallery
I live 6 min (4 miles) from wisp , in Mchenry MD. My day job is an engineer, and my 2nd play job is a ski instructor. I am looking at having some custom skis made, any one ever ride Wagner Skis?
Old 11-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstephan View Post
I live 6 min (4 miles) from wisp , in Mchenry MD. My day job is an engineer, and my 2nd play job is a ski instructor. I am looking at having some custom skis made, any one ever ride Wagner Skis?
nice. a good friend of mine has a house fight on the lake. for it's size, wisp is a fun mountain.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstephan View Post
Wagners are nice, I demo-ed a pair that my Ski shop I worked at had made. They just seem too flimsy for me. I couldn't take hard turns in them. I like a super stiff ski though, I just like being able to charge hard through anything (used to Race downhill).

We should try to get a meet together in Steamboat/Winter Park this winter sometime. I picked up passes to: Winter Park, Copper Mtn, Steamboat, Snowy Range, and Loveland . Should be a good year.

What is everyone riding around here (ski wise)?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #8

pretty torn up from 5 years of hard use, but i'm on Armada AR5s. i'm only 5'9'', but i love long skis, so they're 176s. they're on the heavy side, but they're perform fantasically. bite hard on the downhill course, and float in the powder.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I grew up skiing and use to all the time then went in the service &
Fast forward 25 years later took it up again. One of the resort near me gives vets/mil discount 50% off season's pass & daily lift tickets no restrictions.
I was buying a pass but now only go a couple of times a year. There are lots of glades & a lot of ice. That's skiing the East.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
F4icaveman is on a distinguished road
F4icaveman's Tacoma Gallery
One of my favorite drop-ins

Be there in a few weeks, cannot friggin wait
Old 11-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4icaveman View Post
One of my favorite drop-ins

Be there in a few weeks, cannot friggin wait
A-Basin FTMFW!!!!
Old 11-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
Hell yeah man, couple friends are pushing me like crazy to get my shit together for a trip early december, need new boots like a mofo.

You demo'd those volkls? I demo'd the crap out of the head johnnies, jerrys, dynastar legands, sultans, and a couple line prophets last season. The mantras light and flickable? The line prophet models were like two canoes strapped to my feet, but the heads and dynastars are silly nice.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4icaveman View Post
Hell yeah man, couple friends are pushing me like crazy to get my shit together for a trip early december, need new boots like a mofo.

You demo'd those volkls? I demo'd the crap out of the head johnnies, jerrys, dynastar legands, sultans, and a couple line prophets last season. The mantras light and flickable? The line prophet models were like two canoes strapped to my feet, but the heads and dynastars are silly nice.
Dynastar doesn't have a great reputation. Had a pair of 2008 "Nothing But Troubles", and let me tell you; they lived up to their name...

The Mantras are awesome. I'm buying a pair of 2012's because I love my 2010's so much. My favorite ski ever. Metal topsheet is super lightweight. They charge super hard, carve well, and float in the powder. I love line skis as well, but if you're getting a powder ski for line, get the SFB's. Def. powder only skis, but worth it. When it comes to Prophet vs. Mantra, Mantra always wins.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
Dang man i luv the dynastars, great fuckin ski!
Old 11-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #15
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
volkyl vertigo motion 178cm, .... work great for me . don't see a need to replace them anytime soon.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #16
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Nice! I was looking for a ski thread. I'm trying to make my first trip out west this yr. We are going to Utah not sure where yet. We are trying to move to Utah when my wife is done with school in the spring so we are gonna scout out some areas while we're there as well. Only thing that sucks is that it looks like we can only go the week between Christmas and New yrs. All the prices are jacked up!
UT is great. how long will you be there... you could do the "park city circuit" (park city, deer valley, the canyons), and the big and little cottonwood canyon "circuits" (snowbird, alta, solitude, brighton), if you have the time and $$$.. the big and little cottonwood canyon resorts get, arguably, the best snow in North America, and lots of it ...
Old 11-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I ride Volkl 724's. I like them a lot so far but they're now 5 or 6 years old, just can't bring myself to get rid of them
Old 11-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #18
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
UT is great. how long will you be there... you could do the "park city circuit" (park city, deer valley, the canyons), and the big and little cottonwood canyon "circuits" (snowbird, alta, solitude, brighton), if you have the time and $$$.. the big and little cottonwood canyon resorts get, arguably, the best snow in North America, and lots of it ...
I was going to head up over Thanksgiving and try to hit Alta or Solitude, but airfare was way too high. I think we will be there between Christmas and New yrs now. 4 nights. We have some business to do while we're there, so we will probaly only ski for a day, maybe 2. We'll stay near Park City, maybe Kimball Junction area. We are looking at some properties in the area. What do you recommend for a beginner? I've skies all my life, my wife not so much.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #19
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
I used to ski, but it made me board.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #20

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I was going to head up over Thanksgiving and try to hit Alta or Solitude, but airfare was way too high. I think we will be there between Christmas and New yrs now. 4 nights. We have some business to do while we're there, so we will probaly only ski for a day, maybe 2. We'll stay near Park City, maybe Kimball Junction area. We are looking at some properties in the area. What do you recommend for a beginner? I've skies all my life, my wife not so much.
alta and snowbird, ...and brighton,.. are not very beginner friendly... i'd say park city mtn resort is the better of the bunch for beginner terrain, as they have some long gently sloping runs down below.. for you (advanced/expert) you would love alta and snowbird - especially if you hit it when they've got fresh powder... only problem is there is only a narrow canyon road up to them, which can be treacherous if it's snowing...

make sure you take "two" days to ski!!!!