Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Rotorheads -- I just took my first helicopter lesson today!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Rotorheads -- I just took my first helicopter lesson today!

I've been in aviation for ~12 years now, but just committed to joining the "dark side". Took my first lesson in a brand new R22, and I have to say it kicked my ass, hahaha.

Have I lost my mind in pursuing this as a career at my "advanced age"?!?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
The head of the flight school said that jobs are plentiful now for somebody pursuing a career in helicopters, and that most employers prefer civilian-trained pilots over military-trained pilots because military pilots are "too specialized". Do you think there is truth to that, or was he just playing salesman?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
I have actually considered going this route...my grandfather's trust will pay for my schooling...but I just don't know what all is involved.

Cheers to you for going for it!

Fink
Old 11-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
The Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
The Yellow Dart's Tacoma Gallery
Ben:

Are you taking the classes over at Boeing Field? Which outfit are you going through?

I was pursuing my Private license a couple years ago, but I got out of it because I couldn't see how I would ever be able to afford the hours needed to eventually get a decent job, not just instructing. I've always been interested in helos, though. Did the guy give you any kind of timeline on how fast you could get into the workforce?
Old 11-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yellow Dart View Post
Ben:

Are you taking the classes over at Boeing Field? Which outfit are you going through?

I was pursuing my Private license a couple years ago, but I got out of it because I couldn't see how I would ever be able to afford the hours needed to eventually get a decent job, not just instructing. I've always been interested in helos, though. Did the guy give you any kind of timeline on how fast you could get into the workforce?
I just did some Googleing...I saw some places at like $300/hr. Holy shit!

Fink
Old 11-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
The Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post

Fink
Yeah, I started out in 2005 on a rinky-dink airport out in the middle of nowhere flying Piper Tomahawks and it was still $3000 for the ground school, books and first 40 hours of instruction. And that was through some guy who just taught it out of the house he lived at on the airport land. I can only imagine what it would cost to run though a major outfitter.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
I would love to learn to fly especially a helo. I've been running radio controlled booms for 17 years I would hope to have a little hand eye coordination working for me.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
I've been in aviation for ~12 years now, but just committed to joining the "dark side". Took my first lesson in a brand new R22, and I have to say it kicked my ass, hahaha.

Have I lost my mind in pursuing this as a career at my "advanced age"?!?
When I was training for my PPL, my instructor told me that helicopter pilots were insane. Is there any shred of truth to this rumor?
Old 11-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgreentaco View Post
When I was training for my PPL, my instructor told me that helicopter pilots were insane. Is there any shred of truth to this rumor?
A friend of mine once told me that airplanes fly -- while helicopters beat the air into submission.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #11

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ben:

Yeah, the school at Boeing Field. How fast depends on how many days a week I can fly, which depends on how much I can afford and how much free time i have with ny current job. I'm probably gonna fly once or twice a week to start and then pick up the pace once I get my add-on. Figure it will be a couple of years before I can instruct, then a couple more years of instucting before I could get a real job.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #12

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post

Fink
Yeah, I'm paying right around $230/hr for aircraft and instructor including tax, which isn't so bad considering its a major metropolitan area.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
cabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Andy
cabarbhab's Tacoma Gallery
Thats cool man. I was a hh-60 mechanic for 7 years, and just recently started working on CV-22 Osprey(It is a tiltrotor aircraft). If you ever need a mechanic one day, I have a little bit of experience.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
Quote:
Yeah, I'm paying right around $230/hr for aircraft and instructor including tax, which isn't so bad considering its a major metropolitan area.
Is it the same as PPL? 40 hours minimum, or can you et through faster if you rotate in from another aircraft?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #15
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How many hours do you need for your license?

Fink
Old 11-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #16

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is it the same as PPL? 40 hours minimum, or can you et through faster if you rotate in from another aircraft?
If you have a private airplane pilot's license, the minimum faa requirement for a helicopter is 35 hours...but sounds like complete the add-on in 40-50 hours.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #17
brians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brian
brians05taco's Tacoma Gallery
think ill stick to working on them for now
Old 11-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #18
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Learning to fly helo's huh? LMAO. Remember the hover button is hidden somewhere in the cockpit...
I've only got about 3500 hours in helos and I think SOS (he's a member on here) has a few more than me. First if you have a PPL then great for you! If not go fixed wing with the PPL and maybe even Commercial Instrument as it is a whole lot cheaper. Then get your helo endorsement. Don't know why anyone would say military pilots are to specialized as we are the only ones who have the experience as a general rule. Hang in there you'll get the hang of it and flying instruments is a real treat...
Old 11-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #19
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
The head of the flight school said that jobs are plentiful now for somebody pursuing a career in helicopters, and that most employers prefer civilian-trained pilots over military-trained pilots because military pilots are "too specialized". Do you think there is truth to that, or was he just playing salesman?
I think he's full of shit. I've met guys with 3000+ hours who would hardly give me the time of day because they know that if I walked into the office they fly out of-Two of them would get fired so the company could hire me @ 800 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgreentaco View Post
Yes.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #20

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I think he's full of shit.
That's kinda hat I figured, his claim seemed a bit far-fetched.