Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Any Private Pilots here?

Old 01-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #21
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Sold my 1959 C150 years ago. Really enjoyed it and wish I had it back. It was cheap to buy, insure and own.

I prefer high wing because I can see the ground better. People can make good cases for high or low wing though. I'm hoping someday I can pick up a V35 or C310 then I could really travel on my weekends!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #22
bigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Jared
bigwalton15's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, passed my checkride in Dec. Only been up a couple times since. First flight though with my girlfriend I took her up to the North Shore and we saw about 10-15 whales, that was an awesome experience for my girlfriend. It was her first time in a small airplane. Couldnt have asked for better conditions, light winds and great visibility.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #23
GoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
GoDeacsWFU23's Tacoma Gallery
The first time I ever went up I had 25-27 knot winds....it was terrifying.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #24
bigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDeacsWFU23 View Post
The first time I ever went up I had 25-27 knot winds....it was terrifying.
On my checkride the winds the winds were 130@10. So tower gave us the option to land on Runway 11, which was odd because they NEVER offer that runway. You have to request it and be the only plane in the pattern. The DPE hopped on the mic and declined it and said nope we want runway 4, I want to see how he lands in crosswinds. So I had to all my landings with a straight crosswind. Nailed it though. But it was a little nerve wracking.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #25
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
This morning I flew a small GA plane for the first time in a long time -- Cessna Cardinal RG. Man, it felt so much different from larger aircraft I've become accustomed to.

Then about 30 minutes after I flew the Cardinal, I flew an R22 which really F'd with my head. I've been taking helicopter lessons for about 8 hours now -- helicopters are so much harder to fly! Or at least to learn to fly. My brains turned to mush after about an hour of practicing hovering, hover taxiing, patterns, and pick ups/let downs. I was so exhausted that my instructor practically had to fly us home. Seriously, it was the mental equivalent of doing 1000 push ups. My circuits were just complete toast.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
This morning I flew a small GA plane for the first time in a long time -- Cessna Cardinal RG. Man, it felt so much different from larger aircraft I've become accustomed to.

Then about 30 minutes after I flew the Cardinal, I flew an R22 which really F'd with my head. I've been taking helicopter lessons for about 8 hours now -- helicopters are so much harder to fly! Or at least to learn to fly. My brains turned to mush after about an hour of practicing hovering, hover taxiing, patterns, and pick ups/let downs. I was so exhausted that my instructor practically had to fly us home. Seriously, it was the mental equivalent of doing 1000 push ups. My circuits were just complete toast.
Thats awesome, I've been tempted to take a lesson in a helicopter just for fun. But I'm afraid I'll get hooked.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #27
stokes.greg is on a distinguished road

Name: Greg
stokes.greg's Tacoma Gallery
My dad, brother and I all have our commercial license and fly ag here in Arkansas.
I flew 700 hours this year in

My brother has a little over 10,000 hours and dad has 30,000+ hours.

Stay current it ain't cheap but it is kinda like riding a bike if you love it.
I like low wings with radials.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #28
cameron172 will become famous soon enough

Navy: Student Naval Aviator
Name: Cameron
cameron172's Tacoma Gallery
Flew out to Dauphin Island, AL this weekend. One of my most enjoyable flights yet!

http://youtu.be/xtesYGFo31g
Old 10-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron172 View Post
Flew out to Dauphin Island, AL this weekend. One of my most enjoyable flights yet!

http://youtu.be/xtesYGFo31g
Awesome, that's why I love flying out here in Hawaii. Cant beat island hopping to neighbor islands for day trips.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #30
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
I have about 300 hrs and a commercial inst rating. Most of my time is in a 172. I like high wings so you can see the ground. I also have a tailwheel, which was cool, go to do some acro. I havent flown in several yrs. It's just too expensive to keep up with. I would love to make a career out of it, but most of my friends they have flying jobs wish they were in something else. I joined the AF to fly, but had med issues.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I have about 300 hrs and a commercial inst rating. Most of my time is in a 172. I like high wings so you can see the ground. I also have a tailwheel, which was cool, go to do some acro. I havent flown in several yrs. It's just too expensive to keep up with. I would love to make a career out of it, but most of my friends they have flying jobs wish they were in something else. I joined the AF to fly, but had med issues.
Same here. Its expensive to fly. Especially out here. Almost $150/hr. Im looking to join the Air Force too. So many awesome planes too fly. Anyone of them would be a blast.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #32
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalton15 View Post
Same here. Its expensive to fly. Especially out here. Almost $150/hr. Im looking to join the Air Force too. So many awesome planes too fly. Anyone of them would be a blast.
Just a word of advice...If you want to join the Air Force, join to be an Officer and Airman first. Pilot 2nd. 1. You may not get the chance to fly. and 2. If you do very little of your time will be spent flying. That being said, I highly recommend it and given the economy, its not a bad decision at all.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Just a word of advice...If you want to join the Air Force, join to be an Officer and Airman first. Pilot 2nd. 1. You may not get the chance to fly. and 2. If you do very little of your time will be spent flying. That being said, I highly recommend it and given the economy, its not a bad decision at all.
Definitely. I understand the idea of being an officer first and a pilot second. I've been trying to contact a recruiter out here but he hasn't got back to me yet. Very anxious to get the process started. I feel like I can put together a very competitive package for one of the next rated boards.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #35

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalton15 View Post
Definitely. I understand the idea of being an officer first and a pilot second. I've been trying to contact a recruiter out here but he hasn't got back to me yet. Very anxious to get the process started. I feel like I can put together a very competitive package for one of the next rated boards.
Not sure what your background is, but the AF can be extremely competitive. I dont know what their needs are either. When I applied active duty back in 05, they cancelled several boards, a dude from my area had a masters in Aero Eng and 150 hrs and got rejected. Look at every branch. The USMC took my app and I got selected in weeks where teh AF took close to a yr. If you have a ANG or Reserve unit near by check them out as well. If you just want to fly, the Army CWO program is suppose to be great, and helos could be awesome.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #36
Ya I know it's super competitive. I was a all-conference college athlete at a DI school. Graduated with a 3.2 GPA. I'm also going to look at the ANG here at Hickam AFB. They have 3 units there I believe.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #37
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
I just found this thread after searching for pilots on TW..... and I discovered we have quite a few here.

Brain (Coast Guard pilot) and I were sharing funny approach plates. I sent him this one as he's never seen it before. It's pretty funny once you figure out what it actually says....

If anyone is training for their instrument rating, share this with your CFII.
Read the IAF (initial approach fix), approaching from the WNW all the way to the missed approach hold.

http://flightaware.com/resources/air...PS)+RWY+16/pdf