Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

The "Official" Runners thread...

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #221
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmc View Post
pretty good work, there! big improvement from when you first started posting in here
Definitely that averages out to about 12 minutes a mile but that's all at about the half way point where it was really killing me but once I got over the top of the bridge I really picked back up. It gets so hot at the top I just wanted to get away from it and that helped get over the wall.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #222
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery
Training for La Jolla 1/2 marathon.

Did 12.6 in 1:54

Man, I got chaffing between my butt folds it hurt! The sweat would dry, then the salt rubbing against the skin tore it up. It was great... I need to do something about that. Did a 2 mile hill climb that was ridiculous and pounded my knees coming back down, then my right foot tendon inflamed as my shoes were too tight. I wanted to prevent blisters but went too far on tightening them. So now I'm stopping for a while till things heal up.

The half is scheduled for 4/29
Old 04-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #224
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJammn5 View Post
Training for La Jolla 1/2 marathon.

Did 12.6 in 1:54

Man, I got chaffing between my butt folds it hurt! The sweat would dry, then the salt rubbing against the skin tore it up. It was great... I need to do something about that. Did a 2 mile hill climb that was ridiculous and pounded my knees coming back down, then my right foot tendon inflamed as my shoes were too tight. I wanted to prevent blisters but went too far on tightening them. So now I'm stopping for a while till things heal up.

The half is scheduled for 4/29
That is some good running! I use virgin coconut oil, as both my tan lotion and skin lubricant. NEVER had a chaffing problem. It is fairly inexpensive and all natural.

Yesterday I was feeling cocky, and I went on my own to do 7 fast miles. Did the first 3 in 27 mins and change and them WHAM. Hit the wall baby!!! I made an attempt for another .5 mile, no dice. Had to walk back home. I was so tired/cramped/screwed that it took almost 50 mins to walk back to the apt.

I did a nice gentle 5 miler today, in 51:17. I was fine, but Catherine may have a shin split on her right calve, and she's scheduled to do the OKC full, not the half like this slacker.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #225
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
Sorry I haven't updated but on the 31st I did the 10k Cooper River Bridge Run in Charleston, SC with 75% of it doing at least a nice paced jog I finished up in 1 hour 23 minute and change. At the end I was pretty badly dehydrated but a quick IV dehydration solution and I was feeling fine.
Good job!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #226
4.2 miles over @ Turkey Mountain. Not a whole lot of elevation changes on the trails we ran today, so it was fairly leisurely. We did it in 49:12, and yes I ran with the slow group tonight...
Old 04-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #227
The lice...they hate the sugar
Richard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ted
Richard Cranium's Tacoma Gallery
Never been all that in to running until recently. Also started using the RunKeeper app on my phone...makes it pretty enjoyable actually. Anyone else use it? Ran a 5k through my neighborhood in 29:47 Monday...pretty neat to look back and see your route and splits and all that. tdk320 is my username if anyone wants to add me to their street team!

I'm thinking I'm going to try the Omaha 1/2 in September.

EDIT: Here's the link to my RunKeeper profile - http://runkeeper.com/user/tdk320/profile You can see the run I have planned for tonight too.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #228
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Started back running in Feb to help me loose weight. I'm old (42) and fat so my pace is not that fast (around 10 min/mile). I'm down 20 lbs. but I'm still around 205. I ran 28 miles last week. I mostly do about 5 to 6 miles on my lunch break at work. Temp has been in the 80s here with high humidity the past couple of weeks so mid-day has been kind of rough. Did 5.25 miles today with temps in the mid 60s and low humidity. What a difference. I actually felt good when I finished.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #229
^ I'd like to say welcome to the both of y'all, but this GATOR is unable to welcome both...

Hey Bama, I have a "recipe" for ya!

I make my own electrolyte, and drink it before running in hot weather. Which reminds me, running during lunch in Alafreackingbama? Ya ballsy!

Anyway, here it goes:

one lemon or lime.
16 to 24 oz of water.
2-4 tablespoons of sugar. I use brown organic, but any will do.
1 teaspoon of salt.
ice to taste.

Drink this 1 hour before you go running, it will let you "adapt" for the weather more efficiently. I make in the morning, and drink it at the office. I tried making it the night before, but it can get too sour.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #230
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
That is some good running! I use virgin coconut oil, as both my tan lotion and skin lubricant. NEVER had a chaffing problem. It is fairly inexpensive and all natural.

Yesterday I was feeling cocky, and I went on my own to do 7 fast miles. Did the first 3 in 27 mins and change and them WHAM. Hit the wall baby!!! I made an attempt for another .5 mile, no dice. Had to walk back home. I was so tired/cramped/screwed that it took almost 50 mins to walk back to the apt.

I did a nice gentle 5 miler today, in 51:17. I was fine, but Catherine may have a shin split on her right calve, and she's scheduled to do the OKC full, not the half like this slacker.
Good tip friend. I forgot that I bought a anti-chafing stick awhile back when I bought my shoes, so I'm going to try that but coconut oil sounds nice. That stuff enhances tanning?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #231
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I hate running... Who would want to run for fun?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #232
RN

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma View Post
That's what I used to think then after I started I found it enjoyable as it became a rush.

After you run your body releases endorphins which make you feel good, satisfied and relaxed, then it releases dopamine which pumps you up, addicts you and makes you want to do it again.

Similar to working out, playing a good video game, or anything that can become addicting. You don't know till you try broski
Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #233
The lice...they hate the sugar
Richard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ted
Richard Cranium's Tacoma Gallery
Record pace & distance for myself tonight.

GPS went haywire somewhere after 1.15mi...thankfully I found out RunKeeper lets you manually adjust the waypoints. Had to rearrange 100 or so. I had went from a high 8m/m all the way down to a flat 7m/m and an extra 1.5mi all in about 5 minutes!

Anyways, hit the high the last 1.25mi or so...probably could've done another half!

http://runkeeper.com/user/tdk320/activity/81051972
Old 04-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #234
Matrix
12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Space Command
Name: Steve
12Tac's Tacoma Gallery
Yup started last year and have been working up to greater distances. Trying BF running when the weather is good and Vibrams when its not. Noticed the strength differences in no time.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #235
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
My first time stopping by in this thread. My dad is an avid marathon runner - averages almost one per month. His best time is 3hrs 07mins (that's 26.2 miles). Running is his life. I've been running more and more myself but nothing like him. 10 miles is about the furthest I go. I've been running in barefoot shoes and Nike Frees.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #236
Quote:
Good tip friend. I forgot that I bought a anti-chafing stick awhile back when I bought my shoes, so I'm going to try that but coconut oil sounds nice. That stuff enhances tanning?
I'm huge into natural medicine. I have books that show us Americans how to use virgin coconut oil in 1000's of ways in other parts of the world. In the South Pacific and the Phillipines it is used as such. It's also a natural insect repellent. Just yesterday while trail running, the run leader yelled "ticks"! Everyone started scratching. I had ONE, and it was already dead! I get that in the Whales Vagina there are hardly any bugs, but in the rest of the country...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma View Post
Congrats, first trolling comment. Here is your answer:
Quote:
That's what I used to think then after I started I found it enjoyable as it became a rush.

After you run your body releases endorphins which make you feel good, satisfied and relaxed, then it releases dopamine which pumps you up, addicts you and makes you want to do it again.

Similar to working out, playing a good video game, or anything that can become addicting. You don't know till you try broski
And, may I add, ALL the FIT babes that one gets to meet while training or running in a race!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #237
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Tac View Post
Yup started last year and have been working up to greater distances. Trying BF running when the weather is good and Vibrams when its not. Noticed the strength differences in no time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
My first time stopping by in this thread. My dad is an avid marathon runner - averages almost one per month. His best time is 3hrs 07mins (that's 26.2 miles). Running is his life. I've been running more and more myself but nothing like him. 10 miles is about the furthest I go. I've been running in barefoot shoes and Nike Frees.
Welcome both!

especk, looks like you could already race either a 15K or a half marathon...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #239
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
^ I'd like to say welcome to the both of y'all, but this GATOR is unable to welcome both...

Hey Bama, I have a "recipe" for ya!

I make my own electrolyte, and drink it before running in hot weather. Which reminds me, running during lunch in Alafreackingbama? Ya ballsy!

Anyway, here it goes:

one lemon or lime.
16 to 24 oz of water.
2-4 tablespoons of sugar. I use brown organic, but any will do.
1 teaspoon of salt.
ice to taste.

Drink this 1 hour before you go running, it will let you "adapt" for the weather more efficiently. I make in the morning, and drink it at the office. I tried making it the night before, but it can get too sour.
I will definitely give it a try. There is nothing worse than getting 4 miles into a 6 mile run and feeling like you are running on empty.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #240
5 miles, 47:20. Taking tomorrow off, running 14 miles on Saturday morning, hoping to stay inside of 2:10:00. Will let y'all know how it goes!

Products Discussed in this Thread