Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

The "Official" Runners thread...

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #21
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
ah cool, our track us rubbery and full of bubbles so there is a lot of grip and cushion but the concrete tracks are rough imo
My favorite track that I've run on is at Bishop-England in Charleston, SC. It's made of shredded tires and is super nice and doesn't get slippery when it rains and rains just drains out under the track so you don't get puddles, and it's so springy that it's way easier to run on.
Best pic I could find.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #22
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
got back from first day of lax season, we ran like hell...mile time was 7:14, 6 seconds worse than last year which is weird cause i lost a lot of fat from then...i think they fucked up the times last year because most people reported being 40 seconds or more worse than last year...either way, i beat the hell of a lot of people's times so im happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
I did a 10:40 mile today. I'm pretty happy with it and really surprised that I was able to do a full mile much less within that time frame. I hope to bring it down to around 8 minutes by the end of February.
AWesome for U2!

I hit a wall after 5.5 weird, since running conditions were PERFECT. I need to start drinking electrolytes...

Crap, just today I posted my recipe in the health subforum...
Old 01-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #23
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
Quote:
found, how does that taste?
Very good actually. Think "Gatorade" minus the artificial stuff. In fact it was the original Gatorade...
Old 01-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #24
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
I love to run, Use to run alot when younger. I just recently purchased me a nice pair of running shoes . Looking forward to getting back in the sport. I use to run a lot cross-country. When I smoked. I stopped smoking a few years ago and now I want to pick it back up slowly of course.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazylegs View Post
I love to run, Use to run alot when younger. I just recently purchased me a nice pair of running shoes . Looking forward to getting back in the sport. I use to run a lot cross-country. When I smoked. I stopped smoking a few years ago and now I want to pick it back up slowly of course.
Welcome to the thread!
Quote:
i thought you had lazy legs
Maybe he'll ask TC Bob for "Stronglegs"...
Old 01-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #26
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
May as well stay quit while you're ahead, I've got a nasty dipping habit I'm trying to kick. I'm down to 3-4 dips a day on a normal week, during finals that number skyrockets.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #27
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
i thought you had lazy legs
I have DVT in my left leg. I am gonna have some of the bad veins striped out once I get the courage.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #28

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Welcome to the thread!

Maybe he'll ask TC Bob for "Stronglegs"...

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #29
bigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Jared
bigwalton15's Tacoma Gallery
I used to run, still run a couple times a week. Only race I ever did was the Honolulu Marathon 2 years ago. Worst marathon ever. 85 degrees with about 90% humidity. It was miserable. At the end before the marathon I was able to run a 5:45 mile. Only time I tried it too, I was stoked. Now the only running I do is at Crossfit or my Sunday basketball league.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #30
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be running my first half-ironman this August in DC. I lost a bet and had to wear those shorts and socks. I hate long socks.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #31

Memories..
Attached Thumbnails
The "Official" Runners thread...-orlandocollage017.jpg  
Old 01-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #32
Loves Tacos
JoePoulson is on a distinguished road

Name: Joe
JoePoulson's Tacoma Gallery
I started running "seriously" a few months ago. Was training for the Warrior Dash 5K last weekend, but had to go to my boss's funeral instead. However, I plan to do a 5K every month this year, with the ultimate goal of the Tough Mudder in Tampa in December.

I've lost 36 lbs since September, and my goal is 14 more by the end of February. I was never much of a fan of running, but as I've gotten better, it's becoming super-fun.

I've got such a long way to go, but the journey has been great so far. Will be keeping an eye on this thread for advice from the pros here!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #33
Quote:
I have DVT in my left leg. I am gonna have some of the bad veins striped out once I get the courage.
Wow, good luck! Have you though of doing alternative medicine, U know acupuncture, chiropractor... There are some quacks out there, but the good ones are worth there price in gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalton15 View Post
I used to run, still run a couple times a week. Only race I ever did was the Honolulu Marathon 2 years ago. Worst marathon ever. 85 degrees with about 90% humidity. It was miserable. At the end before the marathon I was able to run a 5:45 mile. Only time I tried it too, I was stoked. Now the only running I do is at Crossfit or my Sunday basketball league.
No sympathy. You live in Hawaii, that means 364 days of training available...

*Hard to train on New Years Day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
I'll be running my first half-ironman this August in DC. I lost a bet and had to wear those shorts and socks. I hate long socks.

Those shorts + socks are NASTY.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #34
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
well I finally did it. Today I have started my VFF running routine. Before getting five fingers i was one of the people who absolutely hated running. I don't have good endurance at all, and i just never enjoyed running, so i never did it. But there is just something about running in five fingers that is different and fun. So I used that as my kick to start improving my cardio. So to start off i ran 1/2 a mile (on concrete sidewalks) stopped, took a small break, had a drink, and went out and did another half a mile. I could have gone a bit longer but towards the end i felt some stretching in the arch on my left foot, a hint of soreness on my lower calfs, and could feel the balls of my feet being worked. I know the biggest thing is to take it slow, so i figured ill take it as slow as i can and not over do it. I guess for me first time really doing a legitimate run in a long time and the first time doing a legitimate run in five fingers a mile isn't too bad. Hopefully i can run a day, wait a day, run a day, wait a day. and increase the mileage every week or so.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #35
^ Five Fingers are my next step. My friends that use them recommend that you use them for walking for a week or two, then start running on them. When you do start running, use them on grass or a track, then asphalt and if you have to, concrete.

No need to blow out your feet, heck ya getting start it!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #36
bigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Jared
bigwalton15's Tacoma Gallery
I love running in my Inov-8's. Super comfy and a real minimalist shoe. Have 3 pairs currently. Great for my running and Crossfit workouts as well.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalton15 View Post
I love running in my Inov-8's. Super comfy and a real minimalist shoe. Have 3 pairs currently. Great for my running and Crossfit workouts as well.

just looked them up...
Old 01-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #38
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
^ Five Fingers are my next step. My friends that use them recommend that you use them for walking for a week or two, then start running on them. When you do start running, use them on grass or a track, then asphalt and if you have to, concrete.

No need to blow out your feet, heck ya getting start it!
actually i read the opposite. the most important thing when transitioning to them is getting the right forefoot strike technique, and getting the hang of landing lightly down. so smooth surfaces like concrete are consistent so you can work on that form better, where soft surfaces like grass are always changing so each step is a bit different, which doesn't help you get used to the new form. just wearing them around in place of normal shoes or just walking for the first few weeks will get you used to them.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #39
Will The Thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
10:37 mile tonight. I also did some old baseball agilities started with 4 20 yard sprints and 2 20 yard lunges. I'm trying to convince my Mom to get me a membership to the local Anytime fitness it's a 24 hour 7 day a week gym but at a high price of 30 a month student discount included I know a girl who works there and am going to talk to her about maybe getting a little more of a discount, her family signed up with her employee discount which brings it to around 20 a month. IMO 30 a month doesn't seem to bad but I won't be the one paying it until I hopefully get the job at the local country club.
I'll add this here also.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePoulson View Post
I started running "seriously" a few months ago. Was training for the Warrior Dash 5K last weekend, but had to go to my boss's funeral instead. However, I plan to do a 5K every month this year, with the ultimate goal of the Tough Mudder in Tampa in December.

I've lost 36 lbs since September, and my goal is 14 more by the end of February. I was never much of a fan of running, but as I've gotten better, it's becoming super-fun.

I've got such a long way to go, but the journey has been great so far. Will be keeping an eye on this thread for advice from the pros here!
I can't believe I miss this last night.. Oh yeah that ugly ass avatar didn't help...

Tough Mudder, Tampa, December... HMMMM, Me thinks I'm going for a LONG Christmas back home...

Products Discussed in this Thread