1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The "Official" Runners thread...

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by The Driver, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:18 AM
    big sky

big sky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    I'm not built much like a runner either :) although I have definitely leaned out some over the last year of running, went from 195-ish to 185-ish

I think my Achilles is starting to come along- I walked/jogged 5 miles yesterday- more walking than jogging, continued icing and gentle stretching

I walked/jogged 5 miles again this morning, little more jogging than walking this time

I'm running along the Yellowstone so it's almost flat, I'm going to continue to try and add more running tomorrow along the river and possibly hit the hills this weekend for some easy runs

2. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I ran my first 10K this past weekend...right under 58 minutes. Not a great time, but considering I'm built more like a linebacker than a runner (6'2" / 235) I'll take it, and I know I can improve.

I will tell you, it's amazing how much strength I've lost since I upped the cardio. I went from repping 225 15x to about 8 on a great day...FML. Trying to strike that perfect balance between strength and cardio now. If I could someday get to where I can do 225 12x and run a 10K in under 50, I'll be happy.

3. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    big sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    I can sympathize :) I went through that "transition" last year about this time, had lifted weights pretty religiously for many years, but completely ignored my cardio (even full well knowing what an important component it is to overall health). Last April I started doing a lot more body weight exercises, cut back on the weights and added trail running. The running was miserable at first, but slowly I came to look forward to run days and slowly the mileage started adding up. I'm pretty sure I'll never bench 300# again, but in the long run what difference does that really make??? I can do a 100 pushups in 2 minutes, ditto on situps and am working hard on getting 20 pullups (17 is my best effort)

I'd rate my overall health much better than what it was a year ago, but I'll be honest and admit my ego does sometimes yearn a little for the "old days" when I'm at the gym- not enough to abandon my new found health though :)

4. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium The lice...they hate the sugar

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S
    Forever sideways and smiling :D
    This is about where I am. I'm 6'1" and about 18mo. ago I was 240 and sedentary. Now I'm 190, benching 200 x18 and did first race (10k trail run) in 50:35 with a beer break at the 2mi mark.

Same thing happened to me though, Patrick...was way more weight dedicated and when I shifted focus on way more cardio my weight #s took a big dive. I'm slowly working everything back up again though...it can be done! Keep at it!

5. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:56 AM
    PB65stang

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I hear ya. I was a soccer player in high school, but once that was over, I got into lifting and my natural body shape just took over. I was a soccer player in a football player's body all those years.

Now that the running isn't so terrible, I do look forward to running on nice days. It's a good way to clear the mind. I actually have 100x the confidence now compared to when I was lifting more weight, because I've slimmed down and become more "ripped", not just bulky. I definitely am going to stay with this mindset of overall health, mixing in both weights and cardio. I'll never be back down to 200 lbs again like I was in high school, but if I can be a solid 220, that's about perfect for my body...I have a 46-48 inch chest and 36 inch waist, so there's only so much I can lose, haha.

EDIT: Thanks for the words of motivation, Richard! I started back up running in February...started out where I couldn't run a mile on the treadmill, and got to where I could do that 10K in about 4 months. I've also lost about 30 lbs since then...with more to come!

6. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I got back into running about 8 months ago to lose some weight(a little over 80 pounds so far). I am not built like a runner but I found in the past that there is nothing that gets you in better shape than running. I am now sitting at 190 lbs. and I am shooting for 174. I haven't been this weight in over 20 years. I feel great and I told my wife jokingly I want 6 pack abs by the time I am 40 years old(9 months left).

I currently run 5 miles two to three times a week mixing in sprints, cycling and home gym workouts(elliptical,recumbent and weight training). I try to mix my workouts up as much as possible to keep the muscles guessing. I've had issues with my knees(torn meniscus in my left knee-work accident and just got a steriod shot in my right knee to relieve swelling) but I have been doing well.

7. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:05 AM
    PB65stang

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    That's awesome...80 lbs! Keep it up!

8. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    robkat89

robkat89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 4 cyl. 4x4
    UWS Black Tool Box
    Hoo...5 miles this morning in 43:00! yeah i'm in the same boat as all of you guys...January 2011 i was 236, now i'm 186 trying to shed the last 6 pounds before i start throwing in some weight lifting to get a little more bulk!

9. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    Aggiesdm

Aggiesdm Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR 4X4
    SnugTop topper, WeatherTec mats, thats all for now
    Hey Guys, glad I found some form of endurance athletes here. I've completed 2 full Ironman 140.6's and 3 x 1/2 Ironman 70.3's over the last 4 years. 3 marathons and multiple 1/2 marathons and shorter triathlons. Run is my least favorite of the 3, but I'm decent in it. Ran a 3:50 marathon after 2.4mi swim and 112mi bike ride at IM Arizona in November 2011. Felt good about that. Average pace on long run is in teh 7:30-7:45's during run-only training. Ran my best 5k last year at age 40....19:27 on a very hilly course.

Anyway, nice to see some runners with Taco's. The reason I opted for the Taco was to fit my lifestyle. Its awesome to be able to throw my bike, wetsuit, etc in the back and head out. I have a camper top, which makes it very convenient to be able to lock it up!!

http://i45.tinypic.com/34o6ohh.jpg

10. Jun 6, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    Aggiesdm

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR 4X4
    Sorry, distance running and lifting just don't go well together. When I started doing long-distance triathlon I was 5'8" 190lbs and benching 225 x 12-14 times. I had WAY too much muscle weight to be successful at distances. I slowly transition to more cardio than weights and the weight dropped to about 165lbs and my run/ride times dropped accordingly. I loved being able to chuck up the weights, but man my body just feels better on a daily basis since I became an endurance athlete. Its taken 6 years, but worth it in my opinion. I'm married and 41 years old though, so my focuses are different than a younger persons. I still carry decent muscle, just because of genetics, but the "beach muscles" aren't important to me anymore. I'd rather be able to run long and fast than lift at this point in my life. You'll make a choice at some point, because the "balance" that you speak of is elusive. Your brain will feed off of one or the other, but hard to have good focus on both lifting and running, they are very different mindsets. At some point, your body will say "I would rather run than lift" or vice-versa. Good luck though!!

BTW, all of this is assuming that you want to be competitive at either of the sports. (Why enter a race if you're not going to compete?) If not, then please disregard and have fun with both :)

11. Jun 6, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    The Driver

The Driver [OP] Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    I started with your last paragraph. Yes I want to do better than the Lardo's and the weekend warrior runners (and I often do), but I have my own goal that running helps me achieve.

1) I like dating fit attractive women, and thanks to running, I do. I either met them during a training run, after a race (drafting after a cute ass is one of lifes greatest pleasures) or just chatting up and being fit allows me to look better than the other dudes at a bar/church/park, well you get the point.

2) I'm a wanna be rock climber/surfer and I love snow skiing. Doing either one of those activities with too much heft is a biatch.

That's why I run.

12. Jun 6, 2012 at 4:31 PM
    big sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    I'm competitive by nature, but it's certainly not the reason I started running, nor continue to run. I have the utmost respect for competitive runners. Even as a new runner, you quickly realize just how much effort goes into being at or even anywhere near, the top (that could easily be said for any sport).

When my competitive nature does come out, the competition is with myself. I've thrown my name into the hat for my first race and I'm going to train to the best of my ability (within reason :)); but my motivation is not for a trophy spot- simply to have fun, run in some beautiful country, give it my best and stay injury free. If I enter next year, I'll have something I can shoot for to beat.

For myself, I don't see weight training and long distance running as being mutually exclusive, quite the opposite. My vision of fitness probably looks like something akin to Tarzan- someone who could run long distances when needed, climb a tree quickly when danger is near, throw a spear to foil an enemy or wrestle a big croc! :D

I won't ever win the Western States 100, not going to take any trophies at a NAPF events or be crowned the next Crossfit champion, but I'll still strive to push myself to towards my picture of overall fitness- probably sans the loin cloth :)

13. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    Happy National Running Day!

I celebrated by running 4 miles of hill repeats in 49:45.

14. Jun 6, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    robkat89

robkat89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 4 cyl. 4x4
    UWS Black Tool Box
    yeah i got to a point in my young maturity where i realized that being mega bulk wasn't all i really needed, i love being thin and lean...i've already got my woman and don't need to show off the guns anymore. Now its all about health!

15. Jun 7, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    Aggiesdm

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR 4X4
    Well put, and I fully respect your approach. My earlier comments were made in relation to a competitive runner/racer. Running and weight lifting are not mutually exclusive, but if you want to get to the pinnacle of fitness in either one of those sports, you'll have to sacrifice either brute strength or speed. They are governed by very different types of muscle fibers, aka...slow twitch or fast twitch muscle fibers. Slow twitch for endurance activities and fast for bursts of strength. To reach a high level of either sport, one of these types has to be dominant through development. They can't occupy the same space, and therefore you don't generally see distance runners that are packing 30lbs of extra muscle or power lifters that are thin and lithe.

Good luck in your training and the Meeting-of-the-ladies!! As another poster mentioned, I'm older now, have my lady (yesterday was 14yr anniversary), and although I'd love to look like I did 10 years ago, I'm more about health and speed now. I believe my bulk days are over, but I'll never say never!!

In closing, it has been an amazing experiment to see how the human body can change, adapt and thrive through training. I've actually gotten faster with age, and body continues to adapt to different training techniques. It truly is an amazing machine, although most of the difference lies in the muscle between the ears.

16. Jun 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    big sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    I think we're on the same page- I fully agree that at the upper end of either sport you'll be competitive in one or the other, not both; but I think we're also in agreement that person could still benefit in either sport w/ the inclusion of weight training or running.

For us more mortal folks :), I think there is a nice balance to be found that includes both long distance/endurance training and strength training

in other news, walked/ran/walked/ran 5 miles again this morning, more running than walking this go round and the achilles didn't bother me. I'm going to do this flat route again on Saturday (with just a walking warm-up), if all goes well, I'll hit the hills on Sunday (fingers crossed)

17. Jun 7, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    Aggiesdm

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR 4X4
    Good luck with the Achilles. Thats a tough injury that takes time and patience to heal.

Take the time to invest in a book called "Chi Running" by Danny Deyer. Its all about proper body alignment and balance to achieve faster times with less effort and injury free. Great book, it changed my running forever. I went from running 8:30min/miles to consistently running 7-7:30's at long distance (10mi+). I'm a visual and mechanical learner and this book was a great way for me to understand HOW the body should operate while running. Helps shorten recovery time too because you don't beat up your body as much, and therefore you get back out there quicker and continue to train at higher levels. Easy read and well worth it.

18. Jun 7, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    "Chi Running". I'll give it a shot.

Ran 4.5 miles in 42:40 which is 9:20 splits. After my Saturday run, I will stop logging my daily miles in here. I will log my weekly miles, and whatever else I can come up with. Y'all keep plugging assistance and aids as y'all been doing, I think it's AWESOME!

19. Jun 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM
    big sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    got 6 miles in on Saturday- all flat, easy pace

went to the hills today and combined some running w/ some trail clearing- little over 6 hours- was out there a little over 2 hours, got a lot of trail cleared :)

few pics of where I run

little folding saw worked great

[​IMG]

lots of good uphill/downhill here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle: