Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2012, 11:05 PM   #41
Loves Tacos
JoePoulson is on a distinguished road

Name: Joe
JoePoulson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
great work on the weight loss. just make sure you do some lifting and stuff to keep from burning away all your muscle (this will slow weight loss but increase fat loss which is the important part)
Yea, I lift 4-5 times a week as well, which has helped tremendously. I finally just went for it and decided to stop being a lazy slob. The results have been incredible and I can't wait for the next day's workout. Seeing and feeling the changes never gets old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
I can't believe I miss this last night.. Oh yeah that ugly ass avatar didn't help...

Tough Mudder, Tampa, December... HMMMM, Me thinks I'm going for a LONG Christmas back home...
Woo Pig Sooie! I'll be sure to wear a Razorback shirt during the Mudder for ya.

Seriously, though...a group of Tacoma World runners would be fun for December. Or any time, really.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #42
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePoulson View Post

Woo Pig Sooie! I'll be sure to wear a Razorback shirt during the Mudder for ya.

Seriously, though...a group of Tacoma World runners would be fun for December. Or any time, really.
GO GATORS!

But seriously, I'm a Tampa native...
Old 02-01-2012, 04:54 AM   #43
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Bears, alligators, big pile of treasure, giant fires, castle full of women & maybe some good food are the kind of things that will motivate me into running. I'm saving it up for those things, I do not run for pleasure, sport or fitness. I have bikes, kayaks, surfboards & other stuff for fitness. Shin splints & repetitive motion damage to joints are not for me. I'm practicing moderation so I still have mobility when I'm 127.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #44
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Bears, alligators, big pile of treasure, giant fires, castle full of women & maybe some good food are the kind of things that will motivate me into running. I'm saving it up for those things, I do not run for pleasure, sport or fitness. I have bikes, kayaks, surfboards & other stuff for fitness. Shin splints & repetitive motion damage to joints are not for me. I'm practicing moderation so I still have mobility when I'm 127.

Your point is?
Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #45
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Your point is?
I like to watch women run but I personally don't do it for fitness for the reasons mentioned. Have in the past but it's just not something I do anymore....not that I have anything against it and y'all who do do it, have fun with it. Just trying to not wear out or damage any of my mobility things so time doesn't fuck me quite as soon, that's all.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
I like to watch women run but I personally don't do it for fitness for the reasons mentioned. Have in the past but it's just not something I do anymore....not that I have anything against it and y'all who do do it, have fun with it. Just trying to not wear out or damage any of my mobility things so time doesn't fuck me quite as soon, that's all.

For the record, I'm a disable veteran with 40% disability rating, for injuries sustained while in "Jump School" @ Ft. Benning. The injuries were severe damage to my right ankle and right hip flexor.

I started running, as part of me rebelling against all the crappy foods that dieticians at the V.A. and the pain meds the Doctors at the V.A. had been pumping on me for over a decade.

When I was 20, I was told that I would need a hip replacement by age 40. No only I won't need a hip replacement (I'm 39), but I'll celebrate my 40th b-day by running a 15K, followed by a 5+3K the day AFTER the 15K.

What I'm trying to say is this. There is A LOT of health knowledge out there that people that go to Med school don't get, simply because they are too focus in "pill" dispensing.

BTW, I love surfing almost as much as sex, and kayaking is really cool too.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #47
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Props on the percevearance and conquering of other's attempt at limiting your future and thanks for your service. I did a lot of skateboarding earlier in life and ankles are part of my concern as well as not inheriting my grandfather's knee problems. I walk the nature trails with the wife regularly is my low impact form of running trying to conserve what I still have.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #48
^ Txs Dude!

Yesterday, I was scheduled for a 4 mile moderate run. What I mean is, once I hit the trail, my brain said "go" and my legs answered "screw you". For the 1st time in a LONG time, all I could do was walk, and did it for about 40 mins.

I'm about to run 3.5 miles @ moderate speed, about 9:45 to 10:15 per mile.

Then go do a Fake speed run (threadmill), of about 1.5 or so.

Why I'm I posting this? Sometimes your body is BEGGING for some rest. To avoid injuries, you better listen!

Well Time to go, see ya!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #49
^ Gee txs!

Well I did 3.6 miles in 33:13... Which was a bit faster than expected, as the legs felt a bit tight.

Good thing I went for it though, as some numbnuts was hugging the threadmil, so no "cheater" mile tonight. Oh well, at least his gf was REALLY hot, wearing basically nothing...
Old 02-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #50
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
I did it to help get a jump start on conditioning for baseball the girls were just a bonus. One of the girls that was on my team is going to do the Charlotte marathon, not sure what it's called but it's a marathon in Charlotte, NC, and did the bridge walk thing in Charleston SC last year.
Probably the Thunder Road Marathon.

For the record, I have a couple of marathons (Chicago & Kiawah), maybe 10 or so half marathons and more 5/8/10/15ks than I can remember. Life cut my mileage back in a big way. Now I've got to get back into the groove. I've remained pretty slim, but I'm not in that great shape I used to be in. And I'm a few ticks older as well! Matter of fact, I spent the day in a new pair of Asics. Hope to get em broken in a little before hitting the pavement.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #51
7 miles at a 9:15 pace... Man I'm sore!

Getting ready for an 9:00 pace 8 miler on Saturday morning...
Old 02-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #52
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

got a question for you guys- you know that joint of the big toe that is closest to your ankle (the one that creates the "ball" of your foot)? well in both my feet they feel like that feeling where you need to pop a joint. it causes my pain when i push off with my big toe. i feel it on the top of the foot btw, not in the "ball". any diagnosis? im icing it right now
its making me walk on the outsides of my feet and now that is causing ankle pain
If you feel it on the bottom of your foot it would be called turf toe potentially. However, you said you feel this pain on the top of your foot.

Is there a possibility that you tie your shoes too tight? If so, loosen them up a little bit and see how that feels. If this doesn't seem to help let me know.

Experience: Run about 20-30 miles a week. Sub 6 min miles. Have treated many of my own injuries.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #53
Quote:

got a question for you guys- you know that joint of the big toe that is closest to your ankle (the one that creates the "ball" of your foot)? well in both my feet they feel like that feeling where you need to pop a joint. it causes my pain when i push off with my big toe. i feel it on the top of the foot btw, not in the "ball". any diagnosis? im icing it right now
its making me walk on the outsides of my feet and now that is causing ankle pain
Not really, but I "pop" toe, ankle, finger and whichever joints all the time.

Can't help ya with that!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #54
Quote:
if anything they are too loose.
turf toe? is that from slamming the toe into the front of the shoe? i think that may be what is causing the problem. my cleats are not too big for me but there is a tad bit of movement on quick stops
Wait, your running shoes are too tight?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #55
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post

Experience: Run about 20-30 miles a week. Sub 6 min miles. Have treated many of my own injuries.
Welcome to the thread! Sub 6 miles, YEEEEAAAAW, you'd be royalty among my running friends!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #56
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
if anything they are too loose.
turf toe? is that from slamming the toe into the front of the shoe? i think that may be what is causing the problem. my cleats are not too big for me but there is a tad bit of movement on quick stops
Yes potentially. If the your toe is slamming into the front of your shoe you could be causing your toe to hyper-extend, which is what turf toe is essentially. Basically, you are tearing tissue between your foot and big toe. Looking at the picture below, right where those two arrows are is the tissue that could be bruised or torn. Do you play football or lacrosse (attack possibly)?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #57
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i play lacrosse, midfield but our drills have been attack and defense oriented and i get burned on d so i end up playing like an attackman all the time
yeah thats the exact spot, i think you nailed it. what do i do to stop it? lace up tighter and ice it?
+1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFniIpOj-RI
Old 02-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #58
Love it! Diagnosis and treatment, because of this thread!

Old 02-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #59
9.3 miles on a 9:40 pace. It was cold, humid and windy.

I need some cake!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #60
7.25 miles in 1:06:19, good enough for 9:17 splits

Good thing I was not able to do my hill training 4 miler yesterday, as the legs were FRESH today!

Products Discussed in this Thread