Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

The "Official" Runners thread...

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #761
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
^ Nice. I first saw a "momma" one (the plumbing gave her away), and she just stayed out of my way. But then I saw the others, so I changed directions.

I can't say that any chased after me, but I felt pretty nervous, as I've never experienced that before.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #762
Piratefish is on a distinguished road

Piratefish's Tacoma Gallery
On one of my runs a couple of weeks ago I chased a bobcat down the road.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #763
big sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
big sky's Tacoma Gallery
a large pack of coyotes can sound pretty menacing w/ all the yipping, growling, etc but nothing to worry about- again bear spray (OC spray on steroids! ) would be a very effective deterrent if one chose
Old 05-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #764
big sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

big sky's Tacoma Gallery
another pretty good week- 39.4 miles 6/5.1/6.3/17/5- the 17 was a toughy- about 4 miles were off trail through some pretty rugged stuff

got signed up for a crazy 50k in September, wasn't thinking clearly at the time little video clip

http://vimeo.com/64914425
Old 05-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #765
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by big sky View Post
another pretty good week- 39.4 miles 6/5.1/6.3/17/5- the 17 was a toughy- about 4 miles were off trail through some pretty rugged stuff

got signed up for a crazy 50k in September, wasn't thinking clearly at the time little video clip

http://vimeo.com/64914425
That looks awesome! I wish we had more trail running in TX
Old 05-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #766
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffymonkey View Post
That looks awesome! I wish we had more trail running in TX
Well, we don't have mountains, but there is a good amount of trail running to be done in Texas. Huntsville State Park holds several great trail races, and I've done a couple at Tyler State Park.

That race does look like a beast!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #767
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Ran a low key 5k yesterday. Leaders (2 guys) went out wayyy too fast, so I dropped back and ran with the chase pack, otherwise i would have ended up in the dreaded no-man's land. Top two guys were local HS cross country guys who win EVERY weekend road race. I was able to kick my way away from the chase pack with a half mile to go for third. Best part was I beat a guy who beat me two weeks before in a 10k. Redemption
Old 05-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #768
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Had a great trail run yesterday. Perfect weather too. I saw lots of lizards, a few rabbits, and squirels.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #769

Well my second half marathon went f'ing great!!! 1:49:00 official time thats 15 min. faster than my first one. I'll save you the math, average pace 8:20!!! 5th in my age group and 163rd overall. I think there was around 3k people in the half. Next one is not until Aug. hoping to shave a few more min. off the time
Old 05-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #770
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Congrats, Pirate!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #772

big sky's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ congrats indeed! 8:20 is cruising
Old 05-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffymonkey View Post
That looks amazing! Where in N TX was this?
Wichita falls. We have a great trail system called the Wee-chi-ta trail. Its about 12 miles total if you do the full loop.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #774

Thx Big Sky. Im really happy with that time, I think I can get a little faster. My knee started to hurt at mile 12. Im going to work hard on resolving my remaining knee issue. If I could get into the 1:30's or low 1:40's...Well then I would want to get into the 1:20's LOL
Old 05-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #775

big sky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratefish View Post
Thx Big Sky. Im really happy with that time, I think I can get a little faster. My knee started to hurt at mile 12. Im going to work hard on resolving my remaining knee issue. If I could get into the 1:30's or low 1:40's...Well then I would want to get into the 1:20's LOL
I'm starting to incorporate a little speed work into my running week, my aerobic base is getting pretty solid, but I'm sloooooow

I'm alternating my mid-week run w/ hills one week and mile repeats the next- the repeats I'm running a mile @ ~ 7:30-8 min pace, walking 5 minutes, rinse and repeat for 5 miles

I've come to the conclusion that after your initial base is built, the only way to really speed up, is to speed up
Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #776
Tilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lyle
Tilt's Tacoma Gallery
Damn Pirate!! That's outstanding progression!! You must be built for running. I'm jealous.

I did my 3rd ever 1/2 Marathon on Sunday (Vancouver 1/2). I had been training pretty hard for this one. I was really hoping to pull off my first sub 2 hour - 1/2 Marathon. My training showed I was right there. I did a couple 21k training runs - not pushing excessively - and was right around 2:04 for both. But a couple factors (out of my control) ended up being too challenging for me.

The Vancouver race looked to be arranged quite well. The setup was good, and the organizers had things well in hand. But there was a significant delay at the start of the 1/2. We were supposed to start at 7 am sharp - but didn't get going until about 7:20. That caused a lot of crowding in the correls - and I noticed a lot of folks from correls behind had mixed up in ours. The start was basically a 3 to 4k downhill section - where I planned to get a nice pace, for a solid first half. But with the excessive crowding, and different speed runners (not to mention the big delay in starting), The downhill section didn't go as well as I hoped. From that point on, the race went a lot better. I actually clocked a decent first half - and realized I still on pace for a close 2 hour. But the heat started to cook. I was training in light snow and very chilly temps right up until 1.5 weeks prior. The heat in Vancouver (especially that day) was well above what I was used too (around 10 to 15 degrees C higher). So by the second half of the run, I was really begining to overheat. I carry my own hydration - but I ended up having to use every water station on the second half. Just to dump the water over my head. I saw my time slipping on the second half, and knew I wasn't going to get the sub 2 hour. So I just did the best I could at that point - and managed a 2:09. I was disappointed was that, but there was not much I could do about it. Again, crowding and temperature are factors out of my control. My trainer and I have already discussed how to help with the temperture thing for next time. I'll do some treadmill work with thicker sweatpants, and a hoody on. See if I can build up my heat tolerance. That could get interesting - lol.

Otherwise - it was a fun run and amazing location. I hate the local hockey team with a passion, but Vancouver is easily one of the most beautiful cities around!!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #777

big sky's Tacoma Gallery
signed up for another 50k in early August- Elkhorn Run, they have a 50 mile and 24k as well

I was going to put in for the drawing for the Bridger Ridge Run and use the Elkhorn as a backup if I didn't get drawn, but the Elkhorn is limited to 200 runners total (for all three distances) so I figured I could get aced out of both

it'll be good to have a 50k under my belt before the Rut Run- I've run 50 k distance before, but not in a race
Old 05-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #778

Thanks Tilt. I dont really have a runners build. 5'10" 155 pounds and gonna be 47 this year.

But hey, I know I learn something from every race. Like hills are gonna slow you down, and dont eat a PBandJ sandwich before the race and dont start in the front unless you are really fast. Just some of my mistakes.

Keep at it you'll get the sub 2 hours. Oh yeah, I really hate the heat too.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #779

Oh check this out. Too soon for me but sounds fun! thewildroguerelay.com
Old 05-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratefish View Post
dont eat a PBandJ sandwich before the race
I make mine a Almond butter and jelly sandwich

Products Discussed in this Thread