Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

The "Official" Runners thread...

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #861
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by big sky View Post
I've come to the conclusion that sprint work is dangerous, for me anyways. I thought it would be good to mix some in w/ my normal running. I tried to warm up well, and gradually increase speed w/ the sprints. All was well for a couple of sessions and then I must have pushed too hard and pulled a groin muscle- badly. Felt like someone had shot me w/ a rifle. In a couple of days I was bruising from the inside out, almost the full length of my inner quad.

I still do speed work, but that is totally different than sprinting. I'll leave the sprinting to high school and college athletes
oh geez! yea Its been a LONG time since I had done any real "sprinting". I was following the spartan WOD's that I get emailed to me. This one was after your warm up do
200m x6 @100% with 3 min active recovery each repeat

then
400m x 6 @ 100% with 1:2 work rest ratio

It was totally my fault for doing too much too soon. I should have gradually worked some quick sprints in rather than doing that much in one workout... live and learn i guess
Old 06-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #862
big sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
big sky's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure it was the "100%" that got me, after thinking about it some, I think it would take several weeks to work safely up to 100% (unless you've already been doing a lot of sprinting)
Old 06-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #863
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yep, same here. I had not done any 100% running in who knows how long. Im going to take the rest of the week off from any running to heal up and see how it goes next week.

For longer runs are ya'll doing anything for nutrition during the run?
The spartan beast this december is 14 miles with 50 obstacles...
Old 06-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #864
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
yep, same here. I had not done any 100% running in who knows how long. Im going to take the rest of the week off from any running to heal up and see how it goes next week.

For anything under 2 hours I don't hydrate or consume any calories. Anything over 2 hours I try to consume a gel every 30 minutes to help simulate what I'll be doing in a race. I also try to consume about 20oz of liquid an hour which is what I try to drink when racing too. Sometimes its hard to motivate myself to eat, but I know I bonk hard when I don't so its gotta happen or I feel like shit.

Hope you heal up quick!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #865

Quote:
Originally Posted by la0d0g View Post
For anything under 2 hours I don't hydrate or consume any calories. Anything over 2 hours I try to consume a gel every 30 minutes to help simulate what I'll be doing in a race. I also try to consume about 20oz of liquid an hour which is what I try to drink when racing too. Sometimes its hard to motivate myself to eat, but I know I bonk hard when I don't so its gotta happen or I feel like shit.

Hope you heal up quick!
What kind of gels do you use? Ive got some that I like but they are just kinda messy and I dont know what to do with the empty packet other than keep a ziploc in my pack and store them in that.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #866
big sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

big sky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

anything over an hour I usually bring calories and water, I use Clif Shotbloks quite a bit, usually every 20 minutes or so (~ 30 calories/block)- if the run is going to be over two hours then I'll usually carry Perpetuem (Hammer product) mixed into a 20 oz bottle (I'll carry two bottles one w/ water, one w/ calories)- the bottle will typically last ~ 2 hours, if the run is longer then I'll have small zip locks w/ pre-measured amounts of Perpetuem for a 20 oz bottle; ie a 6 hour run I'll have one bottle mixed and ready to go and then have two baggies ready to mix on the trail

in addition on 2+ hour runs, I'll carry Hammer bars and eat a 1/2 bar every hour, and then just carry the right amount of bars for the time

anything over 2 hours you definitely need to be taking in calories, you're glycogen stores only last about that long if you're not supplementing along the way- and once you get behind on calories you're pretty much screwed, you need to be on top of it from the start
Old 06-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #867

Quote:
anything over an hour I usually bring calories and water, I use Clif Shotbloks quite a bit, usually every 20 minutes or so (~ 30 calories/block)- if the run is going to be over two hours then I'll usually carry Perpetuem (Hammer product) mixed into a 20 oz bottle (I'll carry two bottles one w/ water, one w/ calories)- the bottle will typically last ~ 2 hours, if the run is longer then I'll have small zip locks w/ pre-measured amounts of Perpetuem for a 20 oz bottle; ie a 6 hour run I'll have one bottle mixed and ready to go and then have two baggies ready to mix on the trail

in addition on 2+ hour runs, I'll carry Hammer bars and eat a 1/2 bar every hour, and then just carry the right amount of bars for the time

anything over 2 hours you definitely need to be taking in calories, you're glycogen stores only last about that long if you're not supplementing along the way- and once you get behind on calories you're pretty much screwed, you need to be on top of it from the start
Good info, thank you. I think they said this run is about a 4 hour run. I ordered some drink mix from infinite nutrition after reading lots of good reviews about them. Im going to try it out on longer runs and see how I like it.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #868
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good info, thank you. I think they said this run is about a 4 hour run. I ordered some drink mix from infinite nutrition after reading lots of good reviews about them. Im going to try it out on longer runs and see how I like it.
I like HEED from Hammer nutrition, its good stuff. Really though, it doesn't matter what you drink as long as your using the same stuff in training that you'll be using on race day. The whole point is to acclimate your body to digesting the items while under physical duress. Good luck with your training!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #869
Gamecock Tacos
jeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
jeremy1ns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I 2nd the clif shot bloks. I like gels as well but they have just used them before long runs (13.1). I've used the extreme jelly beans too and they are About on par with the bloks.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #870

la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What kind of gels do you use? Ive got some that I like but they are just kinda messy and I dont know what to do with the empty packet other than keep a ziploc in my pack and store them in that.
I like Gu. The Roctane blueberry pomegranate being my go-to.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #871

big sky's Tacoma Gallery
I've tried several different gels and never found one I liked, they are a little overpowering and messy. they do however pack more punch oz for oz than anything and thus keep a couple in my running pack, but they are relegated for emergency use only

Perpetuem is nice for longer runs (3hrs +) as in addition to complex carbs it also has protein, which is important because your body will very efficiently cannibalize muscle tissue to help aid in fueling if it doesn't have any handy. It also contains a small amount of fat, which evidently aids fueling in longer endeavors
Old 06-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #872
Gamecock Tacos
jeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of light

I have a trail half a week from Sunday. Any advise on what my regement should be leading up to it?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #873

big sky's Tacoma Gallery
I'd get a get a few runs in the 5 to 6 mile range this week and a decent long run in this coming weekend- probably 10-12-ish, the following week 2-3 runs in the 4-6 range and then nothing Friday/Saturday

that's assuming you've been running regularly up to this point
Old 06-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #874
Gamecock Tacos

Quote:
I'd get a get a few runs in the 5 to 6 mile range this week and a decent long run in this coming weekend- probably 10-12-ish, the following week 2-3 runs in the 4-6 range and then nothing Friday/Saturday

that's assuming you've been running regularly up to this point
I ran a tempo run this morning. And I'm going to do some track speed work on Saturday. How do you eat the day and night before a race?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #875

big sky's Tacoma Gallery
I try to eat pretty "normal", nothing spicy the night before- usually leaned towards carbs

morning I try to get my regular breakfast- cereal/fruit/toast/coffee- in about 1.5-2 hours before race time
Old 07-01-2013, 06:26 AM   #876

big sky's Tacoma Gallery
finished up the week w/ 32 miles (6/6/6/14)- running is now relegated to early morning hours
sadly had to cancel my Devil's Backbone 25 miler in mid-July, starting a new job, moving, selling and buying a new house- just not in the cards this year
Old 07-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #877
Tilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedTilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lyle
Tilt's Tacoma Gallery
Finished the Edmonton Sprint Spartan Race this past weekend. What a crazy crazy time!!!
The entire organization of the Race was a complete gong show. The parking - shuttles to site - lineups - everything!! A total cluster!! We arrived an hour and a half early, only to miss our 10am Heat, and had to run in the 10:30am Heat.
The Race itself......WOW!!!!! What a fricken AWESOME course. It was at a place called 'Rabbit Hill', which is a ski hill in the winter time. To say that the running portion of this Race was grueling, would be putting it lightly. But I loved it!! I think in total, we ascended and descended the ski hill about 6 or 7 times. The obstacles were extremely challenging, as the mud was EVERYWHERE, and super slimy. I can usually do monkey bars with little effort, but there was no way I could traverse them with the mud all over - lol. Same thing went for the rope climb. The mud was nuts - haha.
Overall, I finished 70th place out of 324 males in my age group. 790th place out of 2338 total males. And 1010th place out of 4448 total competitors. I could've done better, but I ran the course with my training partner. I stuck with her, because I do these races for the pure enjoyment. And it ultimately pushed her to finish WAY better than she expected.
Now the training continues for the next Race in Calgary (in August). I did Calgary last year - and if they use the same course, it'll be a cakewalk compared to Edmonton.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #878

big sky's Tacoma Gallery
^ that's a lot of folks participating- congrats!

finished my first 50k (actually 55k), I'm now "officially" an ultra runner

the bloody leg helps the look at the finish line

Old 07-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #879
Piratefish is on a distinguished road

Piratefish's Tacoma Gallery
I did my longest run yet 15.5 miles yesterday. Lots of hills, that may not have been the best route to choose for my longest run.(26+ miles for the week) Oh well, feeling good this morning! Gonna do some hiking with the GF.

^Congrats on the 55k bigsky
Old 07-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #880
Gamecock Tacos

Finished the Harbison trail Half in 2:07 good for top 25%. Pretty thrilled with that considering it was damn hard as heck and i got a bitching blister on both arches around mile 3 and twisted my ankle at my 7.

Products Discussed in this Thread