Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

The "Official" Runners thread...

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #881
big sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
big sky's Tacoma Gallery
^ good time, congrats!

got 31 miles in this week (6/5/7/13)- was hoping for a longer run this weekend, but busy moving so running was bumped
Old 07-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #882
Gamecock Tacos
jeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
jeremy1ns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by big sky View Post
^ good time, congrats!

got 31 miles in this week (6/5/7/13)- was hoping for a longer run this weekend, but busy moving so running was bumped
Thanks ! Actually I just checked and I was 24 of 203 so woo!
Old 07-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #883
big sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

big sky's Tacoma Gallery
Considering I was moving/cleaning/driving almost all week, had a pretty decent week- 6/6/13/6 for 31 miles, the last two runs had 3500 and 2000' gains so they were a little on the tough side

Have a brand new area to learn trails now, which should be fun
Old 07-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #884
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by big sky View Post
I've come to the conclusion that sprint work is dangerous, for me anyways. I thought it would be good to mix some in w/ my normal running. I tried to warm up well, and gradually increase speed w/ the sprints. All was well for a couple of sessions and then I must have pushed too hard and pulled a groin muscle- badly. Felt like someone had shot me w/ a rifle. In a couple of days I was bruising from the inside out, almost the full length of my inner quad.

I still do speed work, but that is totally different than sprinting. I'll leave the sprinting to high school and college athletes

I know exactly how you feel. I jacked up my groin doing some 300 repeats one day. It was like a gunshot. Horrible feeling, especially that close to your manly parts.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #885
Piratefish is on a distinguished road

Piratefish's Tacoma Gallery
Massive week for me 47.5 miles. Been slowly adding miles on to all of my runs. My long run is up to 18.5 miles. Feeling good too!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #886
Gamecock Tacos
jeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of light

Anyone use a GPS watch?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #887
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy1ns View Post
Anyone use a GPS watch?
Garmin 405 here. Its okay but if I had to do it over again I would pick something else. Too many bells and whistles that I don't use and the battery life on it sucks. I can run longer than the thing can stay on.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #888
Gamecock Tacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by la0d0g View Post
Garmin 405 here. Its okay but if I had to do it over again I would pick something else. Too many bells and whistles that I don't use and the battery life on it sucks. I can run longer than the thing can stay on.
Ya I was looking at the forerunner 10. What would you get if you were looking now?
Old 07-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #889
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ya I was looking at the forerunner 10. What would you get if you were looking now?
I would probably go with that one too. I only care about distance, time, and elevation (after the fact on Garmin Connect is fine by me). The price tag is hard to beat as well.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #890
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
My Achillies is still bothering me. Im getting depressed that I cannot go run!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #891

big sky's Tacoma Gallery
had a good week, 41 miles 8.5/4.5/4.5/15/8.5 the 15 mile run was in the Elkhorns, it was a preview of the first half of my 50k in two weeks, stunning country, but some major elevation gains and some very technical (read rocky) trails- it's going to be a very tough 50
Old 07-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #892
TacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
TacoBurrito07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've got a Garmin 310xt and its a little bulky but its still a solid watch and plus now that they came out with the 910 you can find the 310 decently cheap normally.
But about the Garmin 10, I worked at a running store until march of this year and the 10 is probably the best bang for the buck. It really doesnt have any bells and whistles but if all you need is time, distance, and pace, it really can't be beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
My Achillies is still bothering me. Im getting depressed that I cannot go run!

Just wondering but do they hurt the worst right when you get up in the morning and put your feet on the floor and start walking??
Old 07-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #893
Gamecock Tacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBurrito07 View Post
I've got a Garmin 310xt and its a little bulky but its still a solid watch and plus now that they came out with the 910 you can find the 310 decently cheap normally.
But about the Garmin 10, I worked at a running store until march of this year and the 10 is probably the best bang for the buck. It really doesnt have any bells and whistles but if all you need is time, distance, and pace, it really can't be beat.
I'm really down to the 310 and the 610 now. What is your take. Is it worth the extra 200$ for the 610?
Old 07-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #894
TacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I'm really down to the 310 and the 610 now. What is your take. Is it worth the extra 200$ for the 610?
In my opinion it is not. Just because I have heard nightmare stories about the touch screen. On the other hand it works perfectly for some people and normally garmin will just replace it at no charge just shipping and such if that were to occur.

The only grievance I have about the 310 is that sometimes it takes quite a while to connect. Then again that might be because I haven't updated it in like a year
Old 07-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #895
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
What's up guys.......First time noticing this thread!
I'll be running my first Marathon at the AZ Rock N Roll in January and I'm stoked. I've been running 2-3 times a week for a couple years now but nothing over 5 miles yet. A friend talked me into it so we'll see how it goes. Any tips and advice would be great. Think I'll follow a basic linear schedule with 2-3 short runs and build on the weekly long run?

Just bought some Saucony Kinvara 3's ($58) as I'd to reinforce a more natural stride.....wholly crap they feel great but my calves are pretty damn sore. With all this talk of GPS watches what's a good basic one I can use to track my runs?

Look forward to learning more!
Old 07-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
What's up guys.......First time noticing this thread!
I'll be running my first Marathon at the AZ Rock N Roll in January and I'm stoked. I've been running 2-3 times a week for a couple years now but nothing over 5 miles yet. A friend talked me into it so we'll see how it goes. Any tips and advice would be great. Think I'll follow a basic linear schedule with 2-3 short runs and build on the weekly long run?

Just bought some Saucony Kinvara 3's ($58) as I'd to reinforce a more natural stride.....wholly crap they feel great but my calves are pretty damn sore. With all this talk of GPS watches what's a good basic one I can use to track my runs?

Look forward to learning more!
I see you are from Phoenix!

For expert opinions and anything running related, you should check out Sole Sports Running Zone. They are the premier running store in the Valley. There's one in Glendale, Scottsdale, and Tempe. Definitely need to check them out.
They also have training plans online and such.

http://www.solesportsrunning.com

If you just want a basic watch that will do time, pace, and distance then you can't beat the Garmin Forerunner 10.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #897
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man, I'll check it out!
Old 07-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #898

Quote:
Thanks man, I'll check it out!
No problem!
Old 07-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #899

big sky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
. Any tips and advice would be great. Think I'll follow a basic linear schedule with 2-3 short runs and build on the weekly long run?
That's pretty close , I think I'd look into by running four (maybe even five) days a week, build your long run up gradually until you are at (or very damn close) to marathon distance about 3 weeks out. I'd also slowly build on one of your "short" runs in the middle of the week. Obviously your weekly mileage will build as well as you progress. I think it's important as well to pull back on the mileage/long run every 3-4 weeks, gives your body a little extra recoup time w/o neg. impacting your endurance.

You've got plenty of time to be ready for a marathon in January.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #900
provofan is on a distinguished road
provofan's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a good group of runners here. Training for my first marathon now. Trying to keep up with my triathlete champion wife. We just had a baby, so it's my turn to run one.

Does offloading count as a cross training day?

Products Discussed in this Thread