1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The "Official" Runners thread...

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by The Driver, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Mar 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    The Driver

The Driver [OP] Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    O.K., here we go...

McQueen was right, it was HOTTER than hades on Saturday!

15K (9.3) miles on Saturday, 1:32:48 good for 9:58 splits... :mad:

I even passed out, it was so hot. I still finish though... :eek:

Today, it went MUCH better for the 8K or 5+3K or really a 4.97 miler. I did it in 43:34, good enough for 8:45 splits. It was also WAY cooler, but I still needed to throw water on me! I guess I'm loosing my Floridianess... :eek:

Still planning my beach 6 miler... But I have a date, it may not happen! :(

2. Mar 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    Yeah, it was heat exhaustion! Even though I drank electrolytes before the race, drank quite a bit of water during the race, and pour enough water on me, to sink the Titanic!

The 15K was not bad, except that my PR for it is 1:21:17, and I wasn't even in as good a running/cardio shape when I did that. But the fact that I ran back to back, means that yes I'm in pretty good shape. I used to wait until temps cooled off before running. Not anymore, just Like I'm quite capable of running when the temps are in the 20's, I will train to run when the weather is in the 80's!

3. Mar 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    6 miles on Thursday, 5 today and 8-9 tomorrow morning.

All roughly on a 10 min splits. I'll probably run 11 tomorrow as Taylor (gal I've been seeing) can't handle anything faster + we are still doing 5 trail miles on Sunday.

4. Mar 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    8.5 in 1:18:03 Not bad, but not great. That's good for 9:10 splits. I wasn't tired, but dang it I was HUNGRY by mile 7. I was also pretty mad, as Taylor stood me up, and only texted me after I had started running... Women... :mad:

5. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    6 miles 52:37 on my second pair of new shoes. Good enough for 8:45 splits.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it was barely 70 degrees and it felt HOT... :eek:

Tomorrow, trail running @ Turkey Mountain, only scheduled for 5 miles.

Also on Wed, I plan to go to Turkey Mntn and do hill training. They have this BADASS hill that's almost .5 mile long. I'm gonna run up, and walk down, for 20-30 minutes so as to elevate lactic thresholds.

Cyst is already shrinking, and it only bothers when I'm barefoot.

6. Mar 12, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    Thanks for the advice, just got my X-rays back and I've got stress fractures in both tibia. Flt Doc says it looks like they're beginning to heal just told to R&R for awhile, I probably should have gone 6 months ago :eek:but I'm hard headed like that.

7. Mar 12, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Yikes! Glad I could help! How the heck did you do that? I mean, I think is important for you to figure out ( as I did) so that it doesn't happen again.

To stay fit, bike and swim. It will keep you busy and more importantly, your cardio won't suffer.

Good like and stay strong! Army strong!!! :D

8. Mar 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    Anybody else use Runkeeper to keep track of their runs? I log about 4-6 miles a day 4 times a week in runs. Another 20 miles in mountain biking. 985 miles in the past year and a half.

9. Mar 13, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    www.dailymile.com for me!

I did 4.25 over at Turkey Mountain, and all I wanted was to have a nice gentle recovery run. But because I'm a bit faster than most people, I was "voluntold" to join the "fast" group. One of our fastest runners is moving back to North Dakota, so he lead. He said he would keep a pace of 11:30, which with the elevation changes its nice, but hard. Man before the end of the 1st mile we where doing 10's and then he really downshifted.

I got my ass wooped! :eek:

10. Mar 14, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    wesrunner

wesrunner Gang Gang

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    It's paid for.
    a buncha fuckin toyotas
    Hai Guise! :wave:
    I ran XC and Track when I was in highschool. Favorite running though, would have to be trail runs.

Have you guys ever heard of the Bonnet Carre Spillway Classic? My alltime favorite race. I run it every year. I was a top 500 finisher last year.

My 3 Mile for XC was usually low 19's high 18's. My 5k's usually end up being around 20. Mile time for track was 5:30 average. Havn't ran in about a year. Going to start again this week actually so I should be in shape for fall NCAA XC.

11. Mar 14, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:

I almost did that race last year. I lived in NOLA (on Carrollton, couple block off of Tulane) and was a NOLA Track Club member. I think I went home to Tampa that weekend, anyway, welcome aboard!

And yeah, trail running rules! :headbang:

12. Mar 14, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    The toughest 2 miler (hill training) I've ever done.

I nicknamed the hill "GUT BUSTING HILL" where guts go to get SEALED!

I did five runs each way. Best going up/down was 2:05/1:49 mins

Worst? 2:36/2:05

That bitch was TOUGH! :(

13. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    Put out today pretty good for me. Ran 10 miles at a 7 min pace. 50% trail and 50% road. Trail slowed me down but kept things interesting.

14. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    Never run down hill! EVER! Find a bigger hill. Run up and use the WALK back down to recover. Active recovery is much better than static recovery anyway.

15. Mar 14, 2012 at 9:42 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Huh? Then what the heck will I do when we do trail running? Whatever goes up must come down, remember?

16. Mar 15, 2012 at 4:55 AM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    Well the trails I hope are rolling hills as oppose to straight up and straight back down?

"It may seem a bit contradictory that downhill running results in more stress than running on flat or uphill terrain. After all, running downhill is easier – right? Yep – that’s right, it does seem easier and on gentle downhill slopes, it is metabolically easier – it requires less energy. Even though less energy is required to run down a moderate hill, your muscles are still taking on more stress. When you run downhill your anti-gravity muscles are working eccentrically. They are trying to contract or “shorten” at the same time they are being lengthened or “pulled apart”. As you run down a hill your quads are being stretched by the force of gravity pulling you down the hill. At the same time they are attempting to contract to fight the relentless force of gravity.

Think of it in terms of pulling on a rope. If you tie off one end of a rope and pull on the other end with 20 pounds of force, the rope is absorbing 20 pounds of stress. Now have someone else pull on the other end of the rope with 20 pounds of force at the same time. Now the rope is taking on 40 pounds of stress. That’s what happens to your anti-gravity muscles during downhill running. Force in being placed in two directions."

http://www.runningplanet.com/training/downhill-running.html

It also doesn't just have to do with your muscles. Your knees take a lot more abuse too running downhill. If you run downhill you over-pronate your feet causing your knee to rotate as well. Your knee is not designed to rotate laterally. This puts stress on joints, and permanent damage if done too often.

17. Mar 15, 2012 at 7:08 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    ^ I get ya, but this hill is right on the path of our main trail. In fact, I felt more "comfortable" after the second "downhill" run, in regards to my footing. Being from FL, I'm just not very used to running on hills, so I have an above normal fear of the terrain.

I need to get over that hump, so that I dont always get to be the last person on group trail run.

18. Mar 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    wesrunner

wesrunner Gang Gang

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    It's paid for.
    a buncha fuckin toyotas
    I hate downhill runs. We have a bridge run here across the Mississippi River. The second half is always MURDER.

I say that like its a bad thing... But I kind of like pushing myself to a point of pain. Means I'm working for it.

19. Mar 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Wait, in NOLA? With whom? I basically ran SOLO, the entire time I lived there, as the running clubs that I joined were more into eating and socializing than running... :mad:

20. Mar 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    wesrunner

wesrunner Gang Gang

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    It's paid for.
    a buncha fuckin toyotas

Products Discussed in

To Top