1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The "Official" Runners thread...

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by The Driver, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Jan 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    The Driver

The Driver [OP] Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    Hey I searched and could not find another one...

Any way, anyone else into running around here?

2. Jan 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    For the record, I have completed: Seven Half marathons, Four 15K's, Six 10K's and Six 5K's.

My first half and my latest 10K were both Trail Races. I enjoy running on trails far more than any other type of running... Unless of course I happen to be home in FL. Then running barefoot on sand is my true running passion, specially during a thunderstorm. Words can't describe the high I get when running @ the beach, barefoot and during a thunderstorm!

Come on, 30 lurkers? I'm sure I ain't the only runner in here...

3. Jan 28, 2012 at 2:49 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    I've ran on Fernandina Beach, awesome place for beach running!

Twice I was supposed to do the Jax 15K, so that I could get the darn all three 15K medals, oh well!

Welcome aboard!

4. Jan 28, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Not to knock Tulsa, I actually kinda like it out here, but I know, trust me, I know... :(

5. Jan 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    Did a fair amount of running last year. Was up to 10 miles and my goal is to enter a half marathon! I should just do it.

Running in the rain is awesome, completely agree as the rush multiplies!

6. Jan 28, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    How'd U know? U live in "The Whales Vagina" ya know! :D

But seriously, U should do it! The Rock & Roll Half and Full are done every year in SD + U could always do races in L.A...

Man, I'm jelly. I love SD! Can't wait to put a few cold ones down in "The Gaslight District"!

7. Jan 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Yesterday I ran 7 miles. First 5 with a group, last two with one of lovelies.

From the first 5, I did the last 2 on a 8:30 average.

Today I ran 6.3 Trail run @ Turkey Mountain, 11:30 pace. It was HARD, as I didn't hydrated for a 6, but for 3-4...

Tomorrow, moderate 6 miles, at a 10:00- 10:30 pace...

8. Jan 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Have you been training for it?

Good luck, 6:30 even for 1 mile is no easy task!

PS: I'm working my way up to 40 miles a week, next week will be a 34 miler week. Some of the guys that I "train" with (and I mean that loosely) run for 55+ miles a week... :eek:

That is way more that I can chew! :eek:

9. Jan 29, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    I haven't run in a while, going to get back to it gotta lose some weight, but when I did I ran cross country, mainly to watch the girls in their cute little booty shorts, I would do about a 7 minute mile and 20 minute 3 mile; my best time was 19:34 for 3 miles. I doubt I can do a mile now that I've stopped running for so long.

10. Jan 29, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Muscle memory dude, you'd be surprised, so DO IT!!!

Oh and those chicks on their booty shorts are now doing 5K's, 10K's, 15K's and halfs... Just sayin! ;)

For the record, I started running so that I could ski/rock climb better, but running took a life of it's own and for the past three years 90% of the chicks I've dated was through running groups or races...

11. Jan 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    Warhorseforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    I did it to help get a jump start on conditioning for baseball the girls were just a bonus. One of the girls that was on my team is going to do the Charlotte marathon, not sure what it's called but it's a marathon in Charlotte, NC, and did the bridge walk thing in Charleston SC last year.

12. Jan 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    That is one heck of a bar!

So healthy that I'm 39 and my date last night will be 21 in three months... ;)

Yeap, met her while running! :D

About surfaces, I only run on concrete during a race, in fact I run on grass as much as humanly possible. In FL trail running is just sandy dirt and some roots. Out here (or Denver for that matter) it is clay, dirt and ROCKS!
    But yeah, a fair amount is done in asphalt, usually no more than 25% of my running.

13. Jan 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    You will if you use the same trail shoes that U use in FL...

I'm currently doing trail runs on "track shoes". Far superior stability, specially for me that I over pronate like a MoFo.

I actually fell and sprained my bad ankle (right one and the reason I had to leave the Army) on my second run ever here in Tulsa. I had to take two weeks off, and since I was still training for a half (Route 66 Half Marathon), I jump started on the training too soon. So I ended up doing a 5K and a half with severe tendonitis. It was not fun.

Which reminds me, if you do develop tendonitis, the BEST and most effective thing to do is to keep the limb with the problem elevated while you sleep.

It has work so well, that when I sleep alone ;) I always do it! It's like been "acupuncture" in a good way, as it increases blood circulation to the injured area. And it's freacking free!

14. Jan 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    No spikes. It was an idea from one of the "ultra runners" in the group. Ya know guys that have completed 50 and 100 milers...

15. Jan 29, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
  16. Jan 29, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    Jimmyjohn

Jimmyjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Big Sky Country Montana
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 DLB CAB
    Smitty Blt Bull Bar& Skid Plate, PIAA 525SMR lights
    Before being Told I needed a Hip replacement and then being in a Bicycle wipe out and having Brain Surgery. I had completed 6 Marathons 5 Half Marathons, Countless 5, 10, and 20K runs. I ran on 3 Hood to Coast Teams, 1 Mt. Raineer to the coast team.
    Vancouver Relay, Jasper To Baniff Relay, 4 Solo Triathalons, 16 Team Triathalons including the bick portion of the Tri-States Tri going across the pan handle of Idaho.
    Those who are doing it keep it up. Those who don't have no idea what their missing!!!!

17. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Wow dude, so sorry about your injuries!

Feel free to either talk about your experiences, or any advice that you may have. I for one would love to hear them!

18. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    Warhorseforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    That sucks that you had all that bad luck. A hip dislocation was what got me out of it they thought that I would need a replacement but once they cut me open they saw that it wasn't as bad as they thought.

19. Jan 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    Warhorseforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    I did a 10:40 mile today. I'm pretty happy with it and really surprised that I was able to do a full mile much less within that time frame. I hope to bring it down to around 8 minutes by the end of February.

20. Jan 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM
    Warhorseforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    Half mile asphalt but I ran on the outside in the grassy area, I learned a long time ago that my hip won't hate me so much if I run on grass rather than the hard track.

Products Discussed in

To Top