Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Anyone in a Band?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone in a Band?

Anyone in a paid music band? I have some questions.

Have you set up a ficticious business name for financial purposes (banks require a ficticious business name if you want to accept checks under the band's name)? I'm thinking it might be a good idea for keeping track of the financial dealings of the band (equipment, etc).

What do you typically charge for a gig? My guitar instructor said he charges $100 for an hour for each member of the band, plus $100 if he has to set up his own PA, plus $0.33/mile for travel expense if it's far away. If they ask for 2 hours, he'll usually only charge and extra $100 (not per member). Does that sound about right? You can PM me if you want to keep your fees it private.

The band I'm starting with has 3 singers, myself on bass or guitar (depending on the song), a keyboard player and a percussionist. So we'd be looking at charging $700 for an hour if we set up our own PA system, $800 for 2 hours.

Are there any issues with getting paid for copyrighted material? I was looking at BMI licensing and it looks like their focus is on the establishment vs the band. Any issues with posting videos of a performance on Youtube?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
battleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant future

Army: 11 Bang Bang Squad leader, 25th ID, with 4 vacations to the exotic lands of the middle east.
Name: David
battleyota's Tacoma Gallery
I was, then got kicked out....I think they are famous now....Band is called Mumford & Sons. or something like that.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Quo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shedQuo Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Paul
Quo Fan's Tacoma Gallery
I made way more as a front of house engineer than I made as a musician.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
D.ont I.nsult C.razy K.illers
KevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Kev
KevbekTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Ive been in a paid band for a few years now. everything ur instructor saI'd is pretty much on the dot. Travel and per-player sounds good.

My band never really opened an account until just a year ago. We dealt things the old fashioned way. But now it's just under one of my side accounts. No fake name.

U can get paid f
Old 04-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
D.ont I.nsult C.razy K.illers
KevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Kev
KevbekTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
...for playing other peoples music, as long as u don't claim it as ur own.

You wOnt have any problems with YouTube.
Hope I helped!