Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Unicycle

Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Unicycle

Long story short I was talking with a friend about these. I thought it would be fun to try and learn. Does anybody ride one? If so, are they hard? What's a good brand and size?

Found a legit new looking one on Craigslist for $75. But I don't know I I want to spend that much on one.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Have plenty of helmets! I would probably start off with a low wall near me to grab onto if need be. Seems like a fun thing to conquer. I don't think many people ride them. Last time I saw a guy ride was was high school 6 years ago.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
Tbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
Tbird's Tacoma Gallery
I ride a uni. Have for 20+ years. I started in college after I met a buddy that rode. He let me learn on his. It takes a lot of time to figure it out. I have an old Schwinn. Don't know the tire size and I'm not home to look. If I was younger I'd get a MUNI (mountain bike unicycle).

It's a three-step process.
The hard part is figuring out how to get on it. Once you get that done, you gotta figure out how to say on it. Finally you gotta learn how to ride it. Riding is the easy part. Riding gracefully take a lot of time in the saddle.

I learned by using railings and parked cars on campus. I never have used a helmet, or gloves, or pads. You'll bust it many times...but part of learning to ride is learning how to fall without breaking any bones.

Watch your nuts...they can be easily roughed up on get-offs.

Maybe watch some youtube videos...or watch somebody else who rides. I can't imagine figuring it out on your own.

It's like a bicycle. I can go a year without riding mine and get right back on it first time...no falls.

You really gotta want to ride...because the learning curve is quite steep and frustrating. It will take some time to even get a couple of rounds of the pedals...but once it clicks...you'll get good fast.

Good luck. BTW...in college the chicks digged that I rode a uni!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #6

Thanks man. Is there a particular size wheel for a persons height or anything? And the seats are adjustable up and down right? I'm pretty sure I can get it to click. And I'm used to falls as well. What's so good about the MUNI? Is that one good on asphalt and concrete too?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #7

Ok so I got an old schwinn 24" off Craigslist. Practiced a week or two ago for 30-45 minutes got about 4 pedals. Practiced yesterday for about 45 minutes and got about 30 feet. I ran out of concrete. So I think I may get it completely the next time I practice. I will then need to learn how to turn.

Does anyone know if there is a seat hight chart or something that compares seat height to inseam length or something? I'm not sure if I have the seat at the right height. I watched a video on YouTube and it seemed like the guys legs were almost completely extended when the pedal was down each time. Is this right? Or is it more of a however comfortable you are. I felt that it was easier to balance when I raised the seat up a bit and my knees weren't coming up high every pedal.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #8

Haven't practiced very much. But each time I do I get better. I went about 300 yards today. Felt good. Only practiced for about 10 minutes though. Few more times and I think I'll have got it down. Then I can focus on my mounts.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Impressive!

I don't trust anything with less than 4 wheels.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I ride. Set your uni up so you can easily put a foot down, don't stretch yourself out too much. You want to be able to relax as you ride. Comfort, if that's possible on a uni, will Def help make it easier to learn to ride, especially for longer distances
Old 07-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
when I was a kid (13-14) I had one, my friend had one, another had a 6' tall one. We rode forward, backward, played smashup derby's, did BMX with them, skidded sideways with them, and got bored with them. They will beat you up if you try to ride any distance. Get cheap one first, then get over it.
It's just something to do when I'm bored. I like a challenge. And yea this one was about $30 but id like to get a new one.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btnewman View Post
Yeah, I ride. Set your uni up so you can easily put a foot down, don't stretch yourself out too much. You want to be able to relax as you ride. Comfort, if that's possible on a uni, will Def help make it easier to learn to ride, especially for longer distances
I was having trouble when the seat was too low. Raised it up and found it easier to learn on. Once I get really good I'll lower it a bit. I'd like to try one of the 36" ones. You can do some serious distance on those.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #15
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
I was having trouble when the seat was too low. Raised it up and found it easier to learn on. Once I get really good I'll lower it a bit. I'd like to try one of the 36" ones. You can do some serious distance on those.
Yeah, a low seat makes it hard to pedal, too high makes it so you fall over trying to pedal, find the happy medium where you can comfortably rotate your legs.

Lowering your seat is only good when you are trying to hop or "trials' your uni. Look up "kris Holm" he is a pioneer of mountain and trials unicycleing