LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

camping out of a second gen picture thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
camping out of a second gen picture thread

hey guys,

i bought a ranch sierra topper for my truck reciently and i plan on doing some camping out of it. just wondering wat other peoples set ups are? interior, accessories or roof racks?

so post up some pics...

hey is wat i have, i plan on getting a wilderness roof rack and a truck bed matress

Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Palehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant future

Palehorse1's Tacoma Gallery

We are planning to do a heap of camping in ours as well and we bought a shell too but opted for the FlipPac instead of a standard sized shell. So far we are digging it and having fun getting our new camping kit together which has me twiddling my thumbs as I want to get a few different bed storage ideas mocked up in lumber so I can decide which way I want to go. It's technically my daily driver but I am semi-retired now so I don't tend to do a whole lot of daily driving so I reckon most of the truck camping gear will live in it full time. I've played with some different lighting setups with the tent deployed but haven't made a hard and fast decision on which one I'm gonna go with yet.

One idea I got from another member here was to buy these small aircraft tie-down points to bolt into the rear of the shell above the back window hinge line so I can affix a Kelty car tarp when we want even more shade or privacy. Now I'm waiting for all of the Snow Peak Iron Grill Table stuff that my wife just bought and to be honest I'm pretty stoked about it as a friend loaned us some of his stuff to check out and it was very nice.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
skiracer0112 is a splendid one to beholdskiracer0112 is a splendid one to beholdskiracer0112 is a splendid one to beholdskiracer0112 is a splendid one to beholdskiracer0112 is a splendid one to beholdskiracer0112 is a splendid one to beholdskiracer0112 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Bryan
skiracer0112's Tacoma Gallery
How much does the FlipPac affect your mileage?
Also how much does the tent drop into the overhead space when its folded?

I have been looking at one for a while. I initially went with a leer cap for the time being but am debating between swapping out for a FlipPac or a roof rack mounted tent.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Palehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant futurePalehorse1 has a brilliant future

Palehorse1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiracer0112 View Post
How much does the FlipPac affect your mileage?
Also how much does the tent drop into the overhead space when its folded?

I have been looking at one for a while. I initially went with a leer cap for the time being but am debating between swapping out for a FlipPac or a roof rack mounted tent.
Bryan, overall my gas receipts tell me that I've lost 1.5 mpg with the Flippac and the externally and permanently attached Fiamma awning. The tent material actually doesn't come down to take any space in the bed of the truck due to a simple section of canvas material that once you open the FlipPac itself can simply be moved aside to make a type of hammock for sleeping or as we tend to use it for, a place to put our clothing bags for easy access as at 6'2" I can simply stand in the back of the truck with heaps of headroom and that hammock is just a few inches above my belt when standing in front of it. Pay attention to the video at 01:10 to see that canvas material I mentioned.

http://youtu.be/nTZ2-o5kmKE

I bought mine from Adventure Trailers in Prescott, Arizona but I remember someone mentioning that there is a dealer in Colorado that you may be able to find to get some hands on one if you like. Obviously all sorts of second hand market resources can be checked for them but The FlipPac Owners Group site has a for sale section that a few of its members keep full of listings that they find nationwide to help people looking for one for themselves.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
skiracer0112 is a splendid one to beholdskiracer0112 is a splendid one to beholdskiracer0112 is a splendid one to beholdskiracer0112 is a splendid one to beholdskiracer0112 is a splendid one to beholdskiracer0112 is a splendid one to beholdskiracer0112 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Bryan
skiracer0112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehorse1 View Post
Bryan, overall my gas receipts tell me that I've lost 1.5 mpg with the Flippac and the externally and permanently attached Fiamma awning. The tent material actually doesn't come down to take any space in the bed of the truck due to a simple section of canvas material that once you open the FlipPac itself can simply be moved aside to make a type of hammock for sleeping or as we tend to use it for, a place to put our clothing bags for easy access as at 6'2" I can simply stand in the back of the truck with heaps of headroom and that hammock is just a few inches above my belt when standing in front of it. Pay attention to the video at 01:10 to see that canvas material I mentioned.

http://youtu.be/nTZ2-o5kmKE

I bought mine from Adventure Trailers in Prescott, Arizona but I remember someone mentioning that there is a dealer in Colorado that you may be able to find to get some hands on one if you like. Obviously all sorts of second hand market resources can be checked for them but The FlipPac Owners Group site has a for sale section that a few of its members keep full of listings that they find nationwide to help people looking for one for themselves.
Thanks for the info! I am really seriously considering one especially as I just moved to Wyoming and am planning on doing quite a bit of camping this summer and thought it would probably be the easiest way to do that especially since you don't loose the height in the bed for hauling vs a regular cap it seems like the best solution.

Thanks again!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscg2008 View Post
hey guys,

i bought a ranch sierra topper for my truck reciently and i plan on doing some camping out of it. just wondering wat other peoples set ups are? interior, accessories or roof racks?

so post up some pics...

hey is wat i have, i plan on getting a wilderness roof rack and a truck bed matress

Is that a long or short bed? Wish I would have gone with the long bed.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
Is that a long or short bed? Wish I would have gone with the long bed.
Ya i def got the longbed!!! Im a big hunter and out doors kinda guy so I needed to get a longbed so I could fit all my decoys and icechests and the rest of my misc gear. It's nice having that extra little bit of room.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #8

come on guys i knw a bunch of people do this i was expecting more pics
Old 03-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyWtD...layer_embedded
Old 06-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #12

Decided to bump this
Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Good idea