LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Thinking of buying a boat want some feedback

Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking of buying a boat want some feedback

So, recently, I decided may want to buy a boat. Kind of a random thought that crossed my mind and I am really considering it now.

Mainly wanting a boat that can hold 6-8 people which will be used for recreational use (skiing, tubing, wakeboarding, etc)...

Having said that, is there certain makes or modesl to stay away from? My price range is about $4,000 and I have been scouring craigslist for boats. To my suprise there are actually some decent boats in that price range.

With that said, is there certain motors to steer clear of? Inboard or outboard a better choice? Any major maintainence associated with having boat (aside from regular maintainence)

I was looking at some seedoo speedsters on CL, however, they only seem to hold 5 and Im worried that with that many people it won't be able to pull a tube fast enough... but, like I said, not very knowledgeable about the boat world.

Your thoughts?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
water boarding you say?

Old 04-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Be back Summer of 2014
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Another hole in the water to throw money?

Bring out another Thousand.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Haha fml...*wakeboarding* wakeboarding. We'll save that waterboarding for the pros
Old 04-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Perhaps Keel Hauling instead of Waterboarding?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Haha neither keel hauling or waterboarding...
Old 04-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
A common saying that I hear is, "Two best days of owning a boat. The day you buy it and the day you sell it."

Ive never owned one. We just rent one if we have an itch for water sports. Ive also been lucky enough to have friends with boats, so we just pitch in for gas. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
I've definitely heard from some that they can be costly. However, I live within minutes of Lake Erie and it'd be nice to have my own boat and go whenever I want...

I'll definitely weigh the pros and cons...

Just looking to get an idea as to what motor may be good to try and look for and or/boat combination...etc
Old 04-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Colossians 3:2
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ethan
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sure any boat is gonna need plenty of maintenance. My dad owns a 21' Sea Pro with a Mercury outboard motor. We use it mostly for fishing but have pulled tubes with it. I think we squeezed 6 people on it but I wouldn't want to do that on a regular basis. Not sure how much it costs to buy one but it is a pretty good boat. We've had problems with the motor a couple times and have had to maintain that a bit. That's all the input I can give. Sorry.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
I mean understand there is always going to be reguarly maintainenced needed for a boat. Just not familiar with the inner workings of them and what may be prone to break and/or fail.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Colossians 3:2
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ethan
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
We need to replace the internal water pump and have had to replace the hub for the propellor. My dad did some extra maintanence a while back with the cooling system.

A couple of things you need to look into, the weight of the boat and towing it and storing the boat somewhere.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
MARSHBUSTER is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Jim
MARSHBUSTER's Tacoma Gallery
The best adivise I can give you is, Before you buy it take it to a boat mechanic and let him go thru it so you dont find any hidden issues with it. But just remember what SNOWROXKT said, It's just a hole in the water you keep putting money into. As a boat owner I can TOTALLY AGREE with that.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #13
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Marshbuster;

What kind of boat do ya own?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
jrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Scott
jrzyshore's Tacoma Gallery
Don't buy one with carpet. I am replaceing the parts of the floor and the carpeting on mine now it sucks, I guess I can't ask for much more out of 1996 Fourwinns.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #15
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a nice sailboat. That way you can at least use it for a camper All that flipping around stuff is overrated anyways LOL.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:31 AM   #16
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
For a boat in the price range you are looking I'm sure you could find an 17-19 ft early 90's. My suggestion would be if you want to do watersports such at tubing/skiing, you get atleast the 4.3 liter V6. That will have plenty of power to pull people around. I prefer an inboard over an outboard in a bowrider. You will have 2 choices, Volvo Penta or Mercruiser. I prefer Volvo, but it is more about person preference, kind of like Ford or Chevy. As long as you keep the fluids changed in the outdrive/motor and have the boat winterized each year, that should be all you need to do. But there other stuff comes up. esp on an older boat such as tires, trailer brakes, gibel bearing, bellows, u-joins, exhaust manifolds, etc.... But if you are looking for a boat you can find decent boats in that price range. If i were you I would try and find one that hasn't been kept in the water (will probably have bottom paint if it was), hasn't been run in salt water, has solid floors (this is really important in an older boat). If I were you I would look for a Four Winns, Sea Ray, Crownline, and Chaparral. Good luck!