Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Any rock climbers on here?

Old 05-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
ty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty (like tie your shoes)
ty.s07's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to ty.s07
Any rock climbers on here?

Just wondering if there are any fellow climbing enthusiasts on TW?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, try to get out at least twice per week. Mostly bolts these days. Was gonna do a trip to New River Gorge next week with my climbing buddy but work has other plans.

What type of climbing do you do most often?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah man! Mostly gym right now, unfortunately. I go roughly 3 days a week. All the outdoor climbing is over an hour away, and with school I can't really do that. Can't wait to get back home (SD) for the summer for some awesome SoCal outdoor granite! The best spot is only accessibly by a 4 mile medium difficulty 4WD trail, too, which makes it even better (My main picture is from that area). When I'm outdoors, I only have the gear for sport or tr, but my friend has trad gear, so when he goes we do trad.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
trad, bigwall and ice. Love it! Nice thing about so cal, i can be ice climbing in the morning and enjoying a corona on the beach in the evening. haha
Old 05-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Rookie climber here, more bouldering than anything else.

Would love any tips that y'all can send my way!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Would love any tips that y'all can send my way!
It's easier to be shown, I guess. Just do climbs over and over again until you build up the forearm strength, then you can do crimpers and go just about anywhere. "Use your legs" is the biggest piece of advice for a new climber. Hands can pull up if need be, but you'll get tired. try to use them for balance more, which takes practice. Hope that helps and isn't the same stuff you've heard before.

Oh, and if you don't have a crash pad, definitely look into one if you continue bouldering. They can be a bit expensive, but REI usually puts on good sales come the holidays.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
ty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedty.s07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ty.s07's Tacoma Gallery
sorry I never followed up on this thread guys, got discouraged after a few days with no replies lol. I mostly lead climb and boulder, still top rope on occasion. I live about 30 minutes from 3 or 4 decent spots, actually planning on camping and climbing this weekend. Post up action shots if you guys have any!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
Dwill817 is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
Dwill817's Tacoma Gallery
I see your from Alabama. I like to climb some, I boulder some at Horse Pens 40 in Steele, AL.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
LensCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.s07 View Post
sorry I never followed up on this thread guys, got discouraged after a few days with no replies lol. I mostly lead climb and boulder, still top rope on occasion. I live about 30 minutes from 3 or 4 decent spots, actually planning on camping and climbing this weekend. Post up action shots if you guys have any!
Dude, you're lucky! The closest good top-roping from me is over an hour away. May post some pics later
Old 06-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #10

ty.s07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwill817 View Post
I see your from Alabama. I like to climb some, I boulder some at Horse Pens 40 in Steele, AL.
oh man, ever been to Cherokee rock village (aka sand rock)? It's headed towards ft payne and pretty close to little river canyon. It's an awesome spot, actually headed there tomorrow. I'll snap some pics for you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92shawman View Post
Dude, you're lucky! The closest good top-roping from me is over an hour away. May post some pics later
That does suck.. you could always..
Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
stuckinoh is on a distinguished road
Name: Brett
stuckinoh's Tacoma Gallery
Dude I know what I want to do with my basement stairway now! You guys are lucky to have places to climb. Did a lot of top roping in college, now pretty much nada...
Old 06-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
LensCap

I've seen stuff like that before. I wish I had a place to do that, instead of an apartment.
My campus has an indoor wall that I go to regularly, though, so I can at least keep in shape. Definitely not the same as outdoors, though.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
I used to do it all the time, but now live in flat ass kansas... I'm hoping to move to someplace with some good climbing within the next year or so.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: First Responder, Primary Care Paramedic, Advanced EMT
Name: Andrew
futuretacoowner's Tacoma Gallery
Used to do quite a bit of bouldering back in college
Old 06-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
LensCap

http://thedeal.**********.com/buildi...uldering-cave/ - Edit: That's weird, for some reason the asterisks replace part of the link automatically. To get to the page, type "clean snipe" (no spaces) in place of the asterisks.

http://www.break.com/index/home-rock-climbing.html

Stumbleupon has some good stuff for climbing. This is a way that I live vicariously through other people when I can't get out to a climb of my own
Old 06-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #17

ty.s07's Tacoma Gallery
bouldering is easier in a sense that you don't have to setup your rope or have someone belay you. Crash pad is my next investment for sure lol. I'm heading out to do a little climbing today, charging my camera as we speak, also rounding all my gear up.. here's a little teaser, hopefully the local spot won't be crowded.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #18
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the used to club because I had a pretty serious shoulder injury. Right now I am recovering from a recent surgery to repair it (keep it from dislocating) so when its healed I plan on getting back to it (four more months to go and hoping I'll still have the reach). Check out the link below...I grew up with these guys.

http://www.bigupproductions.com/
Old 06-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #19

ty.s07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrustic View Post
I'm in the used to club because I had a pretty serious shoulder injury. Right now I am recovering from a recent surgery to repair it (keep it from dislocating) so when its healed I plan on getting back to it (four more months to go and hoping I'll still have the reach). Check out the link below...I grew up with these guys.

http://www.bigupproductions.com/
Those clips are awesome! thank you for sharing
Old 06-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #20
Blueburner is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
Blueburner's Tacoma Gallery
Im new to the sport and have been going to the local climbing gym twice a week. I have been sticking to top rope climbing, but have slowly working in the bouldering area. Looking forward to getting past a 5.9! I have been projecting a 5.10a this week.