Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Long Range Shooters/Hunters

Old 05-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
ff.hogue is a splendid one to beholdff.hogue is a splendid one to beholdff.hogue is a splendid one to beholdff.hogue is a splendid one to beholdff.hogue is a splendid one to beholdff.hogue is a splendid one to beholdff.hogue is a splendid one to beholdff.hogue is a splendid one to behold
ff.hogue's Tacoma Gallery
Long Range Shooters/Hunters

any other ELR hunters or just shooters out there? I have several custom built rifles, and hunt all over CA, and have a hunting cabin in Montana. what do you shoot?

Brief rifle specs
Jense Precision 300wm with Satern/ABS carbon fiber barrel, lone wolf carbon fiber stock, timney trigger, seeking base and rings, waters dBm, Schmidt Bender PMII 4-12x50

RW Snyder built Savage 110 Long Action 7mm WSM, shilen select match ss 28" bbl, manners t5-a stock, dBm, Ken Farrell g-force base, sss trigger and recoil lug, arc rings, IOR 4-16x50 4th gen scope

pics soon to come
Old 05-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
ff.hogue is a splendid one to beholdff.hogue is a splendid one to beholdff.hogue is a splendid one to beholdff.hogue is a splendid one to beholdff.hogue is a splendid one to beholdff.hogue is a splendid one to beholdff.hogue is a splendid one to beholdff.hogue is a splendid one to behold
my savage after coming home from the gunsmith, prior to coating

Old 05-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a savage .308 my fab is my Remington 710 I love that thing it's the most durable rifle I have ever owned
Old 05-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
remington model 700 in 300 win. mag. w/ Nikon Monarch 3-12 scope.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtaco View Post
^^^Nice rifle. I need to get a long range gun, I was thinking about the Barrett but that is a hefty price tag...........
ya, they are very over priced. you can have a custom rifle built to your exact desires for much less. this is my first savage build, and the rifle above minus scope comes in around the 2k Mark, half the price of any Barrett
Old 05-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
my Jense precision when it was in a McRee precision chassis and wearing a Leopold mk4

5 shot group @200 yards

Old 05-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
I dont know why my pics are uploading so grainy...
Old 05-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff.hogue View Post
I dont know why my pics are uploading so grainy...
Forum prolly dumbs them down. Nice group above. Used to shoot a little longer 200-300yrds. Most folks don't realize how your groups open up after 100yrds. I've got a few, 5rd one hole groups at 100yrds, a couple of 2 inch ones at 200yrds, and at three hundred the best I could ever do was just under five inches. Not great by any stretch, but not bad for a couple of hunting rifles.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
I shoot past 200 all the time. I have a private 600 yard range on family property. best 5 shot group at 600 with the Jense precision is 2.37". just built the WSM for my new 1 mile gun. pt is throated for the 180-195gr berger vld. in 2 weeks going up to forest service land on some power line clearing and going to stretch her legs out.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
That's my problem, I lost my private place to shoot. I've almost quit reloading as well.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Currently my Rem 700 in .300 WM is getting a new barrel on it. I did some long range shooting in the Marine Corps; but since I have been home I have had a hard time getting past 400 yds.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Did anyone catch the CNBC special on the safety issues on the Rem 700? It stated that the gun fires on its own, like with just slight pressure on the bolt, a round will fire. Some officers have even coined it a "Remington Moment"
Old 05-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #14

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't see the program, but am aware of the potential of this happening. Remington could have "supposedly" fixed it for a few pennies per unit. With millions of the guns out there, they could/would have made a change if they thought there was a problem.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
I've talked to people about this problem; but have never been able to replicate it with my stock 700 or other 700s. I have only seen one 700 that fired "on it's own" and that guy had done some home gunsmithing to his rifle so there is no telling what he had done to it.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #16
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
Old Remington 788 in 6mm. Was shooting 10" balloons at 720 yds. Still a great shooting gun with handloads. This was my longest shot so far.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
Bump to top! Lets keep this going!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #18
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think there are many people on here who can/have taken long shots at targets or game. Not every locale even offers the option of long range shooting. The longest range around me is 300 yds. Williamsport Pa has a 1000 yard benchrest club, I believe it was the first in the nation.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
Building a new toy right now. Blueprinted Rem 700 action in .308, heavy barrel, jewell trigger mounted in a JAllen Chassis system. Vortex Razor HD 5-20 on top. GG&G Bipod and Accushot monopod for support. I have had her out to about 1200 yards with hand loads (SMK 175 or 155 scenars depending on wind conditions) prior to the new chassis. She is a very accurate piece of machinery. With new chassis system, hoping to stretch her out to a mile (I know subsonic).
Old 12-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
Have a savage 7mm rem mag. zeroed at 300yds right now. thats about as far i can comfortable shoot with the scope i have now. want to get a bigger one take it to a range near me thats 850yrds and see how things go.