1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noob needs guitar advice

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by elmo7, May 20, 2012.

1. May 20, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    elmo7

elmo7 [OP] Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    So I'm a musical noob in all regards....and here I have the desire to learn how to play guitar. So I need some advice on how to start out. I have no desire to play in a band nor go on tour; I just want to strum a little on the back porch, once in a while. Acoustic is what I have in mind. Something inexpensive, pure beginner level. Some say that electrics are great as I could plug in headphones and jam away w/o bothering anyone, but that's more than I want to get in to for now. I have hit Amazon and seen quite a few inexpensive guitars listed. But I don't know the pros/cons of them. Regardless, I doubt my ear will know much difference. I can always move up once I have a feel, if I get to that level.

So anyone who can offer some advice, I'd appreciate it!

2. May 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    Skycam3

Skycam3 Waiting to see...

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Flyzeye, Redline hood struts, Demello Sliders, Pelly wrap around light bar, Roll-N-Lock tonneau cover, 2 Hella 700FF, DIY LED light bar(10,000 lumes), LED bed lights.
    1957 Martin...you'll love it.

3. May 25, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hiatt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    4" Bodylift 20" Offroad shock spacers Turbo Encabulator
    Prewar 1937. Best sounding guitar I've ever heard.

4. May 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    Skycam3

Skycam3 Waiting to see...

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Flyzeye, Redline hood struts, Demello Sliders, Pelly wrap around light bar, Roll-N-Lock tonneau cover, 2 Hella 700FF, DIY LED light bar(10,000 lumes), LED bed lights.
    ^^^^
    nice...

5. May 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    Major91

Major91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffROAD Barcelona Red
    On Anytime Fog Lights Satoshi Grillcraft Misc LEDS 5100's all around Konig's16". Duratracks, debadged,tinted fronts, custom shifter, flyzeye
    Hit your local guitar center and start from there..........

Grab something for like 100 bucks 70% of the time you end up selling after you have realize your not going to be like Slash.....:rolleyes:

I started on a Martin.......best IMO Best wishes! :rockband:

6. May 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    dira1987

dira1987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 LT Prerunner
    Metal.
    There are a bunch of great beginner guitars that are pretty inexpensive. In my experience with buying guitars online- be careful! A lot can happen to a guitar in transit, and sometimes when you get the guitar it is not set up correctly (which means it is harder to play, is never really in tune, and doesnt sound as great as it could) which could turn you away from playing. I am not sure about other people but i think craigslist is a great place to start you can see just what you want to spend and see how far your money can take you.

Just make sure you dont get a guitar that has been abused! Sometimes it is easy to tell- knicks, lots of buzzing on the fretboard, neck looks out of alignment stuff like that.

I also hate to send you down this road but for beginners there are some advantages like warranty- Guitar Center (NOOOOOOO EVIL EMPIRE) or your local guitar shop (YES!!). Ask some questions, see what guitars you like, and ask if they can push you in the right direction.

Some great starter guitars in my experience are: Yamaha FG700S, Takamine g340, epiphone dr100, Ibanez AC30

I hope this helps

7. May 26, 2012 at 3:32 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 [OP] Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    I appreciate the replies! I'll look for some local shops and see what they have.

8. May 26, 2012 at 3:58 AM
    bridgcat

bridgcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    Dean makes a great acoustic guitar for a good price. Get a cutaway so you can have more fret exposure. But if you get good enough you will want to move up....and thats when you get a Taylor!

9. May 26, 2012 at 2:49 PM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    As a guy who was a noob and is still a noob after like 4-5 years of playing on and off: If you are actually serious about wanting to learn and won't quit right away, buy a half decent guitar. It's much more inspiring when you have nice tone.

You will realize quickly you can play 90% of popular music with just 4 chords. So that's cool, it may seem like you will never get good but you will develop muscle memory and our hand won't hurt as much after playing for long periods of time. You'll develop callouses on your finger tips. Try finger picking as well as playing with a pick. Learn how to tune to drop d because chugging out some heavy riffs is sooooooo easy in drop d. 1 finger power chords!! Youtube is your friend for lessons.

As far as guitars, I personally bought this : http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/114ce it costs me 1k. I also like Martin. Any Taylor or Martin is a good buy. I understand that's more like 500-600 bucks. I had the luxery of living with musicians and learning on their expensive instruments. ($3000 Taylor oh yeah baby)

Happy strumming and stick with it

10. May 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    ESP Harmony into a 50 watt Mesa Boogie Rectifier head

/ thread

11. May 26, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    Catbone

Catbone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon - Columbia Gorge
    Vehicle:
    '12 4WD V6 SR5
    DeeZee Bull Bar
    Go with Crafter. They are the Takamine of the 21st Century. A lot of local shops sell them. They have great beginner models, and when you are ready to move up, they have pro-grade ones for around 1k. Been playing 40 years and like them better than Takamine, Guild or Gibson.

12. May 26, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Is Seagull still making acoustics? My buddy had one back in the 90s and it was pretty nice and a good price. It also had a bridge pickup for running plugged in.

13. May 26, 2012 at 4:08 PM
    bridgcat

bridgcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    My brother in law bought the Esteban guitar and he actually loves it! I will catch him playing it rather than his Taylors!

14. May 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Checked, Seagull is still in business.
    Cheapest models are around $350 and they go up to around $800.

Canadian company and Canadian built.
    Not US-made, but at least they aren't made in China, Taiwan, or Korea.

15. May 26, 2012 at 11:22 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    I've got a 37 year old Yamaha and every musician that picks it up is floored by the sound. You can usually find them on eBay for less than what anyone has suggested thus far and the older the wood the richer that tone will be. Of all the acoustics I've played ranging from 200-6000 my old Yamaha is still my favorite. For acoustics anyhow. I've got a music man petrucci signature that when played through the piezo acoustic simulator is a blast to play.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. May 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    like other said, you can make an entry level yamaha sound really good....and if you're into folk, a $300 Mitchell is what i still use...2nd acoustic and the best one...sounds very indie and folkish...awesome for the beach, backyard and studio time...

17. May 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    Have an old Gibson from the 60s... Man that sounds good, anyways to start I would just go find a few local shops and ask for used guitars in decent-good shape and spend under 500 bucks. :)

18. May 27, 2012 at 12:30 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ovations can be had in the $400 range in guitar shops, the round back might throw you a bit but i've had mine for about ten years and two girlfriends and it still sounds good. They come with a pre amp, eq and tuner built in, ready to plug in when you want to get louder.
    Seriously, like another poster said, most music is written in the same four or five chords EGACD (toss the F in there sometimes).
    Hardest part of starting out is learning how to finger chords, building strength in your fretting fingers (esp the index finger), and building up calluses on your finger tips.
    Take a few beginner lessons to teach you the correct way to finger the chords so you don't learn bad habits. Have fun!

19. May 27, 2012 at 1:14 AM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    bad habits, weird tunings, and going against the "proper" way is what makes my acoustic stuff so good...well, i like my music...

20. May 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    It's true, unconventional is sometimes the most musical you can get. Shoot just look at Hendricks. Just play with it man, have someone tune you to an open tuning and figure out how to play stuff you like to hear, you'll build up a good ear that way and want to learn it in standard. You can't go wrong. Just play!

Products Discussed in

To Top