Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Noob needs guitar advice

Old 05-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
Noob needs guitar advice

So I'm a musical noob in all regards....and here I have the desire to learn how to play guitar. So I need some advice on how to start out. I have no desire to play in a band nor go on tour; I just want to strum a little on the back porch, once in a while. Acoustic is what I have in mind. Something inexpensive, pure beginner level. Some say that electrics are great as I could plug in headphones and jam away w/o bothering anyone, but that's more than I want to get in to for now. I have hit amazon and seen quite a few inexpensive guitars listed. But I don't know the pros/cons of them. Regardless, I doubt my ear will know much difference. I can always move up once I have a feel, if I get to that level.

So anyone who can offer some advice, I'd appreciate it!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Waiting to see...
Skycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud of

Army: 11B2PB4
Name: Tony
Skycam3's Tacoma Gallery
1957 Martin...you'll love it.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycam3 View Post
1957 Martin...you'll love it.
Prewar 1937. Best sounding guitar I've ever heard.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Waiting to see...
Skycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud ofSkycam3 has much to be proud of

Army: 11B2PB4
Name: Tony
Skycam3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiatt1991 View Post
Prewar 1937. Best sounding guitar I've ever heard.
^^^^
nice...
Old 05-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Major91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Major91's Tacoma Gallery
Hit your local guitar center and start from there..........

Grab something for like 100 bucks 70% of the time you end up selling after you have realize your not going to be like Slash.....

I started on a Martin.......best IMO Best wishes!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
dira1987 is a jewel in the roughdira1987 is a jewel in the roughdira1987 is a jewel in the roughdira1987 is a jewel in the rough

Name: David
dira1987's Tacoma Gallery
There are a bunch of great beginner guitars that are pretty inexpensive. In my experience with buying guitars online- be careful! A lot can happen to a guitar in transit, and sometimes when you get the guitar it is not set up correctly (which means it is harder to play, is never really in tune, and doesnt sound as great as it could) which could turn you away from playing. I am not sure about other people but i think craigslist is a great place to start you can see just what you want to spend and see how far your money can take you.

Just make sure you dont get a guitar that has been abused! Sometimes it is easy to tell- knicks, lots of buzzing on the fretboard, neck looks out of alignment stuff like that.

I also hate to send you down this road but for beginners there are some advantages like warranty- Guitar Center (NOOOOOOO EVIL EMPIRE) or your local guitar shop (YES!!). Ask some questions, see what guitars you like, and ask if they can push you in the right direction.

Some great starter guitars in my experience are: Yamaha FG700S, Takamine g340, epiphone dr100, Ibanez AC30

I hope this helps
Old 05-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
I appreciate the replies! I'll look for some local shops and see what they have.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:32 AM   #9
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Yup buy the $100 Yamaha for starters . When you get REALLY good spend more .
Old 05-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Resident MMA Fanatic
SlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlimDigg's Tacoma Gallery
As a guy who was a noob and is still a noob after like 4-5 years of playing on and off: If you are actually serious about wanting to learn and won't quit right away, buy a half decent guitar. It's much more inspiring when you have nice tone.

You will realize quickly you can play 90% of popular music with just 4 chords. So that's cool, it may seem like you will never get good but you will develop muscle memory and our hand won't hurt as much after playing for long periods of time. You'll develop callouses on your finger tips. Try finger picking as well as playing with a pick. Learn how to tune to drop d because chugging out some heavy riffs is sooooooo easy in drop d. 1 finger power chords!! Youtube is your friend for lessons.

As far as guitars, I personally bought this : http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/114ce it costs me 1k. I also like Martin. Any Taylor or Martin is a good buy. I understand that's more like 500-600 bucks. I had the luxery of living with musicians and learning on their expensive instruments. ($3000 Taylor oh yeah baby)

Happy strumming and stick with it
Old 05-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
ESP Harmony into a 50 watt Mesa Boogie Rectifier head

/ thread
Old 05-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Catbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Catbone's Tacoma Gallery
Go with Crafter. They are the Takamine of the 21st Century. A lot of local shops sell them. They have great beginner models, and when you are ready to move up, they have pro-grade ones for around 1k. Been playing 40 years and like them better than Takamine, Guild or Gibson.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Is Seagull still making acoustics? My buddy had one back in the 90s and it was pretty nice and a good price. It also had a bridge pickup for running plugged in.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
$1k on a beginner guitar ! Y'all crazy ! When we ( family ) get together to get drunk and play the good entry levels arête fine ! Even some of them are bought in Mexico . I think a good entry level is perfect for a beginner. You also have to buy other stuff . Picks , tuner , case etc . Even the Esteban packages on qvc are a good deal for beginners .
Old 05-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
bridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridgcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: If I told you....I'd have to kill you. ;-)
bridgcat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
$1k on a beginner guitar ! Y'all crazy ! When we ( family ) get together to get drunk and play the good entry levels arête fine ! Even some of them are bought in Mexico . I think a good entry level is perfect for a beginner. You also have to buy other stuff . Picks , tuner , case etc . Even the Esteban packages on qvc are a good deal for beginners .
My brother in law bought the Esteban guitar and he actually loves it! I will catch him playing it rather than his Taylors!
Old 05-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #16
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Checked, Seagull is still in business.
Cheapest models are around $350 and they go up to around $800.

Canadian company and Canadian built.
Not US-made, but at least they aren't made in China, Taiwan, or Korea.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #17
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a 37 year old Yamaha and every musician that picks it up is floored by the sound. You can usually find them on eBay for less than what anyone has suggested thus far and the older the wood the richer that tone will be. Of all the acoustics I've played ranging from 200-6000 my old Yamaha is still my favorite. For acoustics anyhow. I've got a music man petrucci signature that when played through the piezo acoustic simulator is a blast to play.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #18
Viejon
markmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
markmatters's Tacoma Gallery
like other said, you can make an entry level yamaha sound really good....and if you're into folk, a $300 Mitchell is what i still use...2nd acoustic and the best one...sounds very indie and folkish...awesome for the beach, backyard and studio time...
Old 05-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #19
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Have an old Gibson from the 60s... Man that sounds good, anyways to start I would just go find a few local shops and ask for used guitars in decent-good shape and spend under 500 bucks.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #20
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Ovations can be had in the $400 range in guitar shops, the round back might throw you a bit but i've had mine for about ten years and two girlfriends and it still sounds good. They come with a pre amp, eq and tuner built in, ready to plug in when you want to get louder.
Seriously, like another poster said, most music is written in the same four or five chords EGACD (toss the F in there sometimes).
Hardest part of starting out is learning how to finger chords, building strength in your fretting fingers (esp the index finger), and building up calluses on your finger tips.
Take a few beginner lessons to teach you the correct way to finger the chords so you don't learn bad habits. Have fun!