Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Aquarium Hobbyists

Old 01-22-2013, 05:29 AM   #41
dfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Goose
dfrugia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie View Post

Our 250 gallon salt water aquarium. There are no fish in this picture becouse we had just finished doing a complete tear down and cleaning of the system. The entire system is plumbed to outside where we have the filtration house, so it makes for a very clean and semi silent system.
That's a nice looking set up!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #42
mrbee2828 is on a distinguished road
Name: BJ
mrbee2828's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
not true, I can point you to freshwater species that are much harder to keep alive than most saltwater aquarium fish, and ones that cost just as much.
True but I'm making a blanket statement here. Restated, in general, SW is more expensive and if you're doing a reef tank the chemistry is much more involved. Both systems have a nitrogen cycle. FW cichlids need harder water and a higher PH so they are sometimes just as difficult as SW fish. Rare cichlids can be upwards of $100 as well.

Ree tanks add in the additional monitoring of alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, phosphates and other trace elements like strontium. The most obvious is salinity. But reef tank filtration can be as complex or as simple as one wants to make it.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #43
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
just started this stuff with a friend's aquarium he didn't want about 6 months ago, a nice 29 gal.

cleaned the tank up alot, got some real plants and a few other fishes. mostly angels.

I plan on moving them to a 55 Gal i picked up a couple of weeks ago. just cycling it for now and am actually going to plant it tomorrow lol. but for now ghetto AF lol.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #44
Nathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbee2828 View Post
True but I'm making a blanket statement here. Restated, in general, SW is more expensive and if you're doing a reef tank the chemistry is much more involved. Both systems have a nitrogen cycle. FW cichlids need harder water and a higher PH so they are sometimes just as difficult as SW fish. Rare cichlids can be upwards of $100 as well.

Ree tanks add in the additional monitoring of alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, phosphates and other trace elements like strontium. The most obvious is salinity. But reef tank filtration can be as complex or as simple as one wants to make it.
Still isn't true, you're comparing reefs with the basic part of the freshwater hobby. If you where to compare basic saltwater tanks and freshwater tanks, the only difference would be the salt, they are just as easy to keep. Real "rare" cichlids can be upwards of $1000, and have to be imported from Japan or Hong Kong. The advanced freshwater hobby has really grown in the last 5 years in this country, and some of the fish/tanks are just as nice as the saltwater counter parts.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #45
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Aquariums are awesome. I've wanted to pick up one of the bigger saltwater cubes for a while now, but I can't convince the wife. I had fish constantly as a kid.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #46
SR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Mike
SR52012's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 35gal tank i want to set up... just need a few things... but untill i can afford it the right way i was thinking of trying this out...

http://www.petco.com/product/102601/...r-Filters.aspx

http://www.petco.com/product/2402/Ma...r-Filters.aspx

What r your thoughts?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #47
Nathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
Go to a Tampa aquarium society meeting, someone will have a good used filter for 1/2-1/4 of what they cost new.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #48
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I have had a Tank/Tanks all my life I have always loved keeping fish of some sort. I have a 29gal tank that has been through hell. It was a reef tank for years and then the day of death happened and killed the whole tank It was a fish only tank for about the last 10 years. I lost my last few fish due to neglect last year. and I let the tank sit with nothing but live rock for about 10 months. I just got it up and going again about a month ago. The live rock is all bleached but it's already starting to come back after 5 weeks of good light form the Kessil LED I just picked up (bad ass light by the way). It's going to be a reef tank again I'll be ordering some Zoo's and a few other frags in the next week or so I'm just waiting for the water to stabilize.

I'll post some pics of the tank later tonight.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #49
SR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to behold
SR52012's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Go to a Tampa aquarium society meeting, someone will have a good used filter for 1/2-1/4 of what they cost new.

And where is this place at?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #50
Taco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant future
Name: JohnnyHildo
Taco Libre's Tacoma Gallery
here is my 77gal with f1 tropheus ilangi and a few tropheus bemba. i've kept fish for 30 of the near 35 years of my life. great low maintenance hobby.
Attached Thumbnails
Aquarium Hobbyists-img00014-20100125-0852.jpg   Aquarium Hobbyists-img00035-20100109-1643.jpg  
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #51
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR52012 View Post
And where is this place at?
http://www.tbas1.com/
Join their forum, its a good group from what I've heard
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #52
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have a 35gal tank i want to set up... just need a few things... but untill i can afford it the right way i was thinking of trying this out...

What r your thoughts?
the penguin is a good cheap filter. i use one on my 29 gal.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #53
SR52012's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
the penguin is a good cheap filter. i use one on my 29 gal.

Are you running salt?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #55
Fools Gold
MKEMICA has a spectacular aura aboutMKEMICA has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jim
MKEMICA's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with the penguin. Owned a Aqueon lasted less than a year, have heard penguins run like champs.

Quote:

What r your thoughts?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #56
OVERALL is on a distinguished road

Name: Tim
OVERALL's Tacoma Gallery
I am a big fan of sw tanks. I have had several. Started into the hobby in the opposite direction of most people. I started big and kept downsizing as the moves required. I have had 150 gallon with a grey smooth hound shark and a few sting rays. I had a 144 gallon half round full reef (pictures). Tons of different fish and inverts as I got bored and traded out with friends a lot. I then went down to a 75 reef tank and then finally down to a 14 gallon cube. Currently I don't have one set up. BUt I am house hunting and as soon as I find a place and get moved in I will be starting up a tank again. I worked part time at a local sw store to help off set costs, but now that I am not working there it is going to hurt a little bit to pay full retail for livestock again.

Long-spined urchin

Seahorse and a Vlamingi Tang

Rose Bubble Anemone

Moorish Idol

A few tangs and rabbitfish

an overview of the 144 half-circle tank.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #57
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
^Nice! Where is Mount Wanahakaloogee?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #59
OVERALL is on a distinguished road

Name: Tim
OVERALL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenBeers View Post
^Nice! Where is Mount Wanahakaloogee?
Ha! My nieces and nephews wanted to know the same thing. I tried to convince the guy who owned the shop I worked at to set up that tank from Finding Nemo to keep the kids bus when families came into the shop. He didn't go for it, but didnt mind setting up a tank just for a Peacock Mantis Shrimp...
Old 01-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #60
SR52012's Tacoma Gallery
I talked the GF into letting me buy this... instead of setting up my 39gal...
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

ANd since i live on the gulf... i may go get some rock from the back canal lol if that will work... and mayb catch some tank mates. lol