Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Aquarium Hobbyists

Old 09-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #81
SR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Mike
SR52012's Tacoma Gallery
I want crawfish!!!! but i heard they crawl out of the tanks sometimes and i do not have a totaly seald lid.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #83
SR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to behold
SR52012's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you get yours? A local shop or online??? I was thinking about ordering some stuff and never knew if I should try it or not...
Old 09-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #84
hickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
hickorylarge's Tacoma Gallery

I'll play. Here's my 55 gallon SW when I first set it up. All the rocks, sand, critters, etc. were in a 30 gal for about 6 years, when I moved last year I upgraded to a 55 with LED lights. As of right now it houses a couple black bar chromis, some kind of blenny, a few hermit crabs, a whole bunch of small starfish that I'm not sure where they came from and are reproducing rapidly (my gf counted 37 of them) and some small mushroom corals. I also have been growing a few different macro algaes, I'll have to get some more recent pics.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #85
D.ont I.nsult C.razy K.illers
KevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Kev
KevbekTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/spo...rs-thread.html
Old 09-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #86
satcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud ofsatcom221 has much to be proud of
Air Force: Satellite Communications
Name: Rick
satcom221's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08PRELB View Post
So I'm thinking of turning my 56 Gal. fresh water into a saltwater tank and starting all over. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on doing this or could you recommend a good salt water forum? I have been lurking on reefcentral.com for the last week or so but are there any others?
ReefCentral is a great resource. There are numerous books and magazines that you should get aquainted with at the book store. Don't rush anything as starting a new tank takes some time and just research everything anyone tells you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake5995 View Post
best people to talk to is the local reef shop i have been told stuff on reef forums and killed halph my fish cause 10 people told me to do something and all swore by it. Make friends with a employee at the local fish store and take there experience
Becareful when making blanket statements - some employees are just salemen. Once you are sold livestock, its hard to prove if the tank had bad parameters, the fish was not well aclimated, incompatible tank mates or was destine to die. Again - one should research coral, fish and invertabrea compatibility.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #88
SR52012's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11TRD View Post
Got them from a local shop that specializes in aquatics. As with any new fish I introduce into my tank, I kept them quarantined for a week and treated for ick prior to putting in my tank.

Thanks! The only place by me that has crawfish is a kindof "slums" pet store... it is dirty everytime i go in there... I have been looking for other places that have more freshwater stuff, but most of them around here are either pet stores with freshwater fish or fish stores with only salt stuff.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #89
Nathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR52012 View Post
Thanks! The only place by me that has crawfish is a kindof "slums" pet store... it is dirty everytime i go in there... I have been looking for other places that have more freshwater stuff, but most of them around here are either pet stores with freshwater fish or fish stores with only salt stuff.
Go to one of these meetings, http://www.tbas1.com/

You will get much healthier fish at much cheaper prices.
And they can tell you which local stores are worth your time.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #90
mrbee2828 is on a distinguished road
Name: BJ
mrbee2828's Tacoma Gallery
I would agree with buying online. If your local fish store represents a slum then it's a safe bet to assume their animals are treated that way. While it won't be cheap, you will have a better survival rate and a guarantee from reputable online retailer like LiveAquaria or BlueZoo.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a...ies.cfm?c=1075
Old 09-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickorylarge View Post
I'll play. Here's my 55 gallon SW when I first set it up. All the rocks, sand, critters, etc. were in a 30 gal for about 6 years, when I moved last year I upgraded to a 55 with LED lights. As of right now it houses a couple black bar chromis, some kind of blenny, a few hermit crabs, a whole bunch of small starfish that I'm not sure where they came from and are reproducing rapidly (my gf counted 37 of them) and some small mushroom corals. I also have been growing a few different macro algaes, I'll have to get some more recent pics.
These are astrea starfish and can become more a nuisance over time. By crawling over the glass and corals causing them to close up temporarily they are just unsightly more than anything. If you have decent population you may look into a harlequin shrimp but once they are gone you will have to find more to keep it fed.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #92
Nathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
aquabid.com is another place if you cant find a local aquarium club.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #93
hickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
hickorylarge's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbee2828 View Post
These are astrea starfish and can become more a nuisance over time. By crawling over the glass and corals causing them to close up temporarily they are just unsightly more than anything. If you have decent population you may look into a harlequin shrimp but once they are gone you will have to find more to keep it fed.
Thanks, that's good to know. It looks like they break their arms off and the arms grow into another starfish. There are a lot of them that only have like 1 or 2 arms haha, it took me a long time to figure out what was happening. I think they are kind of cool, at least for now. I really only have like 3 or 4 small mushroom corals, I'm not really worried about them getting crawled on. I'm guessing hermit crabs don't eat them, right?
Old 09-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #94
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcom221 View Post
Becareful when making blanket statements - some employees are just salemen. Once you are sold livestock, its hard to prove if the tank had bad parameters, the fish was not well aclimated, incompatible tank mates or was destine to die. Again - one should research coral, fish and invertabrea compatibility.
This is true. I was talking about reef stores. I have many near my house and almost all the employee have mutiple tanks and many of them run tank cleaning services. i dont expect someone to talk to the 20 year old kid at petsmart and ask him.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #95
Gixxer is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
Gixxer's Tacoma Gallery
I'd rather have a FOWLR over a reef tank less maintenance.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #96
Dusty taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Elijah
Dusty taco's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. I've been reading up on fw aquariums for about two weeks now. had one when I was a kid growing up. this time I want to do it right.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #97
SR52012's Tacoma Gallery
Well i have been online looking and getting my hopes up... i would like to do a tank with crawfish and some real pleants and not the shit from pet smart... more like an aquascape with craws or shrimps and fish... But the old lady shot down the idea... im not allowed to redo our tank until the wedding is over.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #98
Sounds like the beginnings of a wonderful partnership
Old 09-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #99
SR52012's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbee2828 View Post
Sounds like the beginnings of a wonderful partnership

Thats what I keep hearing... lol. Shes a good girl... Im just over this wedding shit!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #100
D.ont I.nsult C.razy K.illers
KevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Kev
KevbekTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Some shots of my freshies

And some turtles...