1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aquarium Hobbyists

Discussion in 'Pets' started by mrbee2828, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Jun 26, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    mrbee2828

mrbee2828 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Virginia Beach
    Anyone here keeping an aquarium? I've been running a 75g reef now for about 6 months and a 55g cichlid tank for about a year. Just wanted to see if anyone else here was into it. I'm actually starting to do local builds, sell stock and maintain tanks with another friend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mully, bski22, ChadsPride and 2 others like this.
  2. Jun 27, 2012 at 4:54 AM
    Deercantseeme

Deercantseeme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    That's a pretty sweet tank. I have a 55 gal tank with one Oscar and one pleco. I've had them both for about 5 years. I like the colors of a reef tank but it's too much work for me.

3. Jun 27, 2012 at 6:24 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Some seem quite satisfied with salt water tanks. What's the advantages or disadvantages compared to fresh water tanks. Stores seem to focus more on the latter. Indeed, I wouldn't even know where to buy salt water fish.

4. Jun 27, 2012 at 6:26 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    Beautiful OP!

5. Jun 27, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    mrbee2828

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Virginia Beach
    It's justa personal preference. FW fish are easy to keep, much cheaper to buy and filtration/chemistry is a lot less complicated. SW is the opposite but there are just so much more life out side of fish from coral to inverts and such.

6. Jun 28, 2012 at 7:08 AM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Thanks, BJ. Was wondering since we're in the process of buying a house, with an aquarium in our plans. Been many years since we've owned one, so have to update ourselves on all the current options (tanks, filters, pumps, etc). Might as well at least look at salt water aquariums too while doing so.

7. Jun 28, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Subbed, I have been talking about getting an aquarium for years....

8. Jun 28, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Nice tank set up OP nice looking fish too

9. Jun 28, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Dori! my son loves fish!

Ive been thinking about getting him a small fresh water aquarium

10. Jun 28, 2012 at 7:47 AM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    Nice reef MrBee!

I have a 28g nanocube, and an 80g planted freshie. Struggling with many types of micro and macro algaes in my reef though (gha, bubble algae, grape caulerpa, byropsis).

swtank7.jpg
    swtank8.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    tank5.jpg

Mully likes this.
  11. Jun 29, 2012 at 4:25 AM
    mrbee2828

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Virginia Beach
    I've got a 55g planted FW cichlid build in my office as well. I'm considering going salt with it though. I had a discus tank in high school. PM me your setup and maybe I can help. I have asup setup with a refugium hosing some macro algae in it. With a good skimmer and some algae down there it's hard for hair algae and other things to survive. If you have a issue with it right now, the best thing is to figure out why it's happening due to setup, bio load or maintenance, correct it and then scrub the rock down in a bucket of RO water and go from there. Ayway... glad some people are in the hobby. Now to go order some step bars :)

Mully likes this.
  12. Jun 29, 2012 at 4:48 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I used to have many fresh water tanks and had a pr of fish that cranked out babies every 2 weeks or so. Had a factory going where I traded babies for food and supplies with a guy I mt biked with that owned a shop. Had discus, Manganese, tx cichlids, africans, all kinds of different tanks. Then we moved somewhere where we started to have a water bill and most tanks turned into desert lizard tanks due to the water bill and the constant cleaning and stuff to keep them clean and right. Made a video called Fish TV where it was just camera focused on a tank with music playing then changing to different tanks. Would catch crawfish and feed them to the Manganese. Fun to watch them eat'em up. Stuff just got played out after the water bill got crazy so they went away and we moved on to other hobbies. Never did salt tank due to a buddy having one and never being stable, always jacking with water to keep everything happy and alive. Wasn't for me. Cool stuff tho, a big nice colorful well kept tank is a thing of beauty that really enhances an indoor environment.

13. Jun 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I was thinking about doing a planted fresh water tank. There are a couple of good stores around me so I can get supplies....and even do local fish. Does anyone know how caught wild fish hold up in a set up aquarium?

14. Jun 30, 2012 at 3:04 AM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    What are you planning, Toughtaco? To save your best catches so others will finally believe your fish stories? :rofl:

Seriously, I don't know. However, doubt they'll do well - too small of an environment and considerable trauma getting them there.

-

15. Jul 14, 2012 at 3:46 AM
    enil01

enil01 I like Spam

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    '01 SR5 Xtra cab 4x4
    Stuff and such
    I plan on doing a salt tank as soon as I get a place I know I'll be in for awhile. I really want to set something up like an actual Hawaiian reef.

16. Jul 14, 2012 at 3:46 AM
    enil01

enil01 I like Spam

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    '01 SR5 Xtra cab 4x4
    Stuff and such
    I plan on doing a salt tank as soon as I get a place I know I'll be in for awhile. I really want to set something up like an actual Hawaiian reef.

17. Nov 12, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    YotaMatt

YotaMatt Livin Low, Ridin High

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    West Point VA
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    Spidertraxx 1.25" spacers in front and rear, 4" Maxtrac Spindles,Billy 5100s at 0", OME 885 Springs, 1/4" top spacer on both sides, 1.5" AAL, 3" Block, 1.5" 4crawler driveshaft spacer, 17x9 XD Spys with 35x12.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers, Magnaflow offroad Stainless Exhaust, Volant Intake with scoop,Camo emblems, BHLM, Tinted tailights, Anytime fog mod,Alpine Type R 12, Kicker 1000 watt amp,600 watt 4 channel memphis and all memphis components, 35%tint front all the rest at 5%, Hella 500s with sylvania zxe bulbs, sylvania zxe headlights, sylvania zxe fogs, Weathertech digi fits, flyzeye blue/white, LED map dome license plate lights, Redline hood struts, Tailgate EZ Down, Custom TRD Camo Browning Edition Bedsides, Camo wet okoles, Ridgid Dually bed lights, SOS Concepts Tire Carrier
    I'm running a 55g fw at the moment...in process of doing a 20 salt water...just to try it

Here's the 55...5 silver dollars, black ghost knife, blue cichlid, 2 golden rams, upside down catfish, 1 freshwater puffer and I had 3 red tail barbs but they had to go on w they hit 12" each!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352733272.663269.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352733330.619594.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352733391.361407.jpg

Yodastacotruck and ChadsPride like this.
  18. Nov 12, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some nice setups out there. I am glad I havent got an aquarium yet, I am way too busy for anything. Maybe a good spot for it if I renovate 2 of my 4 garages into a living area but that wont be for a couple of years.

19. Nov 12, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Some nice setups here!

I have a 29g FW tank I keep lightly stocked. I had 3 generations of African cichlids for a while, but when it got down to 2 fish they staked out corners and made a mess, so I just do cheap fish now. I always wanted to do a salt water tank, but I am afraid to do anything smaller than 75 gallon, with 100 gallon being my preference. Checking craigslist for used tanks now, LOL.

20. Nov 12, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    :popcorn: I been thinking about getting a tank.

To Top