Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Aquarium Hobbyists

Old 06-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
mrbee2828 is on a distinguished road
Name: BJ
mrbee2828's Tacoma Gallery
Aquarium Hobbyists

Anyone here keeping an aquarium? I've been running a 75g reef now for about 6 months and a 55g cichlid tank for about a year. Just wanted to see if anyone else here was into it. I'm actually starting to do local builds, sell stock and maintain tanks with another friend.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
Deercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Deercantseeme's Tacoma Gallery
That's a pretty sweet tank. I have a 55 gal tank with one Oscar and one pleco. I've had them both for about 5 years. I like the colors of a reef tank but it's too much work for me.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Some seem quite satisfied with salt water tanks. What's the advantages or disadvantages compared to fresh water tanks. Stores seem to focus more on the latter. Indeed, I wouldn't even know where to buy salt water fish.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Beautiful OP!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
Some seem quite satisfied with salt water tanks. What's the advantages or disadvantages compared to fresh water tanks. Stores seem to focus more on the latter. Indeed, I wouldn't even know where to buy salt water fish.
It's justa personal preference. FW fish are easy to keep, much cheaper to buy and filtration/chemistry is a lot less complicated. SW is the opposite but there are just so much more life out side of fish from coral to inverts and such.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks, BJ. Was wondering since we're in the process of buying a house, with an aquarium in our plans. Been many years since we've owned one, so have to update ourselves on all the current options (tanks, filters, pumps, etc). Might as well at least look at salt water aquariums too while doing so.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbee2828 View Post
Anyone here keeping an aquarium? I've been running a 75g reef now for about 6 months and a 55g cichlid tank for about a year. Just wanted to see if anyone else here was into it. I'm actually starting to do local builds, sell stock and maintain tanks with another friend.

Dori! my son loves fish!

Ive been thinking about getting him a small fresh water aquarium
Old 06-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Nice reef MrBee!

I have a 28g nanocube, and an 80g planted freshie. Struggling with many types of micro and macro algaes in my reef though (gha, bubble algae, grape caulerpa, byropsis).
Attached Thumbnails
Aquarium Hobbyists-swtank7.jpg   Aquarium Hobbyists-swtank8.jpg   Aquarium Hobbyists-tank1.jpg   Aquarium Hobbyists-tank5.jpg  
Old 06-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
Nice reef MrBee!

I have a 28g nanocube, and an 80g planted freshie. Struggling with many types of micro and macro algaes in my reef though (gha, bubble algae, grape caulerpa, byropsis).
I've got a 55g planted FW cichlid build in my office as well. I'm considering going salt with it though. I had a discus tank in high school. PM me your setup and maybe I can help. I have asup setup with a refugium hosing some macro algae in it. With a good skimmer and some algae down there it's hard for hair algae and other things to survive. If you have a issue with it right now, the best thing is to figure out why it's happening due to setup, bio load or maintenance, correct it and then scrub the rock down in a bucket of RO water and go from there. Ayway... glad some people are in the hobby. Now to go order some step bars
Old 06-29-2012, 04:48 AM   #12
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I used to have many fresh water tanks and had a pr of fish that cranked out babies every 2 weeks or so. Had a factory going where I traded babies for food and supplies with a guy I mt biked with that owned a shop. Had discus, Manganese, tx cichlids, africans, all kinds of different tanks. Then we moved somewhere where we started to have a water bill and most tanks turned into desert lizard tanks due to the water bill and the constant cleaning and stuff to keep them clean and right. Made a video called Fish TV where it was just camera focused on a tank with music playing then changing to different tanks. Would catch crawfish and feed them to the Manganese. Fun to watch them eat'em up. Stuff just got played out after the water bill got crazy so they went away and we moved on to other hobbies. Never did salt tank due to a buddy having one and never being stable, always jacking with water to keep everything happy and alive. Wasn't for me. Cool stuff tho, a big nice colorful well kept tank is a thing of beauty that really enhances an indoor environment.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
Nice reef MrBee!

I was thinking about doing a planted fresh water tank. There are a couple of good stores around me so I can get supplies....and even do local fish. Does anyone know how caught wild fish hold up in a set up aquarium?
Old 06-30-2012, 03:04 AM   #14

What are you planning, Toughtaco? To save your best catches so others will finally believe your fish stories?

Seriously, I don't know. However, doubt they'll do well - too small of an environment and considerable trauma getting them there.

-
Old 07-14-2012, 03:46 AM   #15
You're a towel...
enil01 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Airframer
enil01's Tacoma Gallery
I plan on doing a salt tank as soon as I get a place I know I'll be in for awhile. I really want to set something up like an actual Hawaiian reef.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:46 AM   #16
You're a towel...
enil01 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Airframer
enil01's Tacoma Gallery
I plan on doing a salt tank as soon as I get a place I know I'll be in for awhile. I really want to set something up like an actual Hawaiian reef.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #19
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
Some nice setups here!

I have a 29g FW tank I keep lightly stocked. I had 3 generations of African cichlids for a while, but when it got down to 2 fish they staked out corners and made a mess, so I just do cheap fish now. I always wanted to do a salt water tank, but I am afraid to do anything smaller than 75 gallon, with 100 gallon being my preference. Checking craigslist for used tanks now, LOL.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #20
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
I been thinking about getting a tank.