1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help deciding on Kayaks..sit in or on top

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Icepuck72, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Jun 27, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    Icepuck72

Icepuck72 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD
    OME 885's, Dakars, TRD Trail Edition Wheels, 285x75x16 Goodyear Duratracs, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, Fog Light mod, 2 Baby seats
    Not sure what to get....Both have pros and cons....Just don't know which one to pull the trigger on.

I will be fishing some of the time, but not all of the time....probably mostly just cruising and enjoying the water with friends....I will be doing some fall and winter runs too....so I'm not sure what to get.

Thanks

2. Jun 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    Holyfather

Holyfather Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX Pro TRD
    Front Bilstein 5100s @ 1.75"
    The sit ins I have are for white water/rivers with waves. If I am just paddling around on a lake or a calm river I use sit on tops. For me it depends on what type of water I'm primary using it on.

3. Jul 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    JaSkynyrd

JaSkynyrd Ron F. Swanson

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2001 XtraCab 4x4 V6 SR5
    That's a tough call...Virginia can get cold in the winter and when it's cold it's nice to have a sit in kayak to keep some of your body protected. But at the same time it's easier to move around on a sit in top and of course much easier ingress/egress. I've got a sit in and wish I had a sit on top, but I don't go out in the winter at all so the warmth of a sit in doesn't factor in at all for me.

If your just cruising around on flatwater I'd get a 13 ft or so sit in with built in rod holders and definitely some REAL dry storage, I'm talking a hatch with some latches to keep it watertight. If there is any whitewater in your future I'd cut it down to at least a 12 ft and ideally something around a 10.5 to 11 footer. The maneuverability is very handy when it's 40 degrees out and you do NOT want to get dumped in the water cause you couldn't shoot a tight rapid.

Here's what I have. It's a great boat but only the front dry storage actually works, the back gets water in it no matter what I do. The Ascend kayaks from Bass Pro intrigue me, maybe you'd be interested in one of those.

4. Jul 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    BG KY Jets Fan

BG KY Jets Fan Dagger Taco *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Bowling Green Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 2WD DC
    Roof Rack, TRD skid plate, TRD cat back exhaust, Pioneer AVIC-930BT, subwoofers, Avid bar, Westin side steps, FLYZEYE strip, and Blacked out Badges. More to come....
    All depends on what kind of water you'll be on. Get one of each!

5. Jul 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    The easiest answer for the fishing is sit on, I have a sit in and I only use it for fishing. I like it but the sit on would be much better. I would like the sit on so I could throw the 4 year old on it with me. She really likes fishing with me so she would love being on the yak with me.....

Products Discussed in

To Top