1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Handheld GPS... how much do you use yours?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by TNDrew, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Jul 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    TNDrew

TNDrew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg Cab 4x4 Silver
    WeatherTech DigitalFit Liners, Bench Seat Angle Fixed, Fog Lights (Nokya 2500k HyperYellow bulbs), aFe ProDry drop in, DeeZee bed mat, UWS black low pro tool box, Marathon Seat Covers (ordered should arrive mid-May). iSimple iPod adapter, Blacked out badges, SockMonkey WhiteTail Toyota Horns decal, LED Dome and License Plate Lights (LEDSolutions), Black Headlight Mod,
    I am thinking about getting a Garmin for hunting, fishing, hiking and geocaching. How much do you actually use yours? More or less than you thought you would when you bought it.

2. Jul 27, 2012 at 5:32 AM
    JaSkynyrd

JaSkynyrd Ron F. Swanson

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2001 XtraCab 4x4 V6 SR5
    If I had one I would use it a lot. Both of my brothers-in-law have them and we use them for geocaching, kayaking, and hiking. If I had one myself, I'd spring for a top of the line one; one bro-in-law has an older one and it was a very nice one when new, the features are lacking now. The other bro-in-law has a much newer waterproof one with topographical maps and a touch color screen. Here's a shot of it:

[​IMG]

Not the best picture but you can see we actually use it. I will be asking for one for Christmas this year. Another use for it, at least for me, would be taking it mountain biking to see my average and maximum speeds and my total elevation change.

3. Jul 27, 2012 at 6:24 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    I don't use mine a tin, but enough to justify it. I use it for hiking, hunting and ice fishing. It's a Garmin 60CSx. Not top of the line, but has plenty of features for me.

4. Jul 27, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    I use my Garmin 62s quite a bit. I still want a nav head unit in the cab for the bigger screen but can't beat the Garmin for accuracy and other features. My favorite is plugging into a computer after I get home and seeing my journey on Google Earth. Makes it so much easier to research an area. There is also something comforting about being able to follow your tracks after the road has forked a bunch of times and it all starts to look the same as the previous turn. I think a Garmin would be perfect for the uses you described.

5. Jul 27, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I have an oregon 450 I use alot for geocaching.

Products Discussed in

To Top