Notices

Scuba Diving

Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #21
dlooney has a spectacular aura aboutdlooney has a spectacular aura about

Name: Dennis
dlooney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpneely View Post
hey man im assuming you work at a dive shop up there in wilmington? if not my bad but i just figured. i work with a dive shop down here in Murrells Inlet if you know where that is? if you do which one? and yea more wrecks than you know what to do with haha. my roomate a few years back used to go up there and dive almost every weekend for lobster and such. thatd be sweet if you knew any of us down here haha
I'm trying to get a job at aquatic safari this summer, but right now I'm just a frequent visitor there I've heard of murrels but haven't been down there yet
Old 11-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #22
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
Rescue Diver Here! I was working on my master cert when life got int he way. Planning to get the wife certified soon and start diving again.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #23
Waikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Waikoloa Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by belone12 View Post
I am jealous of this life.
It is part of the reason I moved here. Grew up in NJ, don't miss it. Hope all is good with you and yours from Sandy.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #24
Waikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Waikoloa Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Thank you for your service.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #25
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't been in the water in way too long.
PADI OW/AOW/Wreck
NAUI Nitrox
GUE Tech Fundamentals

Favorite local spot is Farnsworth Bank on the back side of Catalina.
Would love to dive the Nuclear Fleet and the Andrea Doria
Old 11-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #26
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlooney View Post
I'm trying to get a job at aquatic safari this summer, but right now I'm just a frequent visitor there I've heard of murrels but haven't been down there yet
yea man go for it its a great profession to get into! i don't work in scuba but everyone i know does. im just a lowly open water person haha but i dont get to go out during the summer so it doesnt really bother me. they all love it (until they go get their instructor license haha). you should definitely come pay us a visit. i love these guys.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #27
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: High Speed, Low Drag
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
Hey all. I'm down for "Zee Scuba". I've been a recreational diver for about 14 yrs. now. I was certified in the gulf of Aquaba (red sea), off the coast of the Sinai peninsula. Unbelievable clarity. I've not been anyway that remotly comes close. I can realate to the druggies out there that are "chasing the high".
Old 11-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #28
the town is back that way
GeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Freeda Feltcher
GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
hey guys, Ive been diving for a few years now, gonna start my rescue when i get back home in 8 months (then ill be master). headed to a live a board for christmas/new years in the bahamas.....wish i could dive more
Old 11-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #29
EODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: EOD Tech
Name: Jacob
EODTech08's Tacoma Gallery
About how long does it take to get a advanced diver cert? I'm gonna be stationed on Oahu for the next 3 years and was thinking about going for it.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #31

dlooney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EODTech08 View Post
About how long does it take to get a advanced diver cert? I'm gonna be stationed on Oahu for the next 3 years and was thinking about going for it.
Not long at all, did about 5 days of classes then 3 dives and got my certification And if you're in Oahu, you'd be crazy not to! Some of the best diving in the world over there!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #32
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not sure what it takes now.
When I got mine, it was 5 dives. Deep, Navigation, and Night were required, the other two were "elective." Any could be applied toward the requirement for the individual specialty dives, so since everyone in my wreck class was also in my AOW class, the wreck class was only two dives... a penetration dive on the Yukon, and a mapping dive on a barge off of Laguna. We were going to map the Ruby-E but viz was not good enough.

My dives were:
One to (but not below) 100ft... it was kinda stupid. PADI standards did not allow the instructor to take the class below 100ft, but the dive needed to be deeper than 95, so we all went down to 95ft and then held our computers as deep as we could to log as close to 100 as possible.
Ya, it was a bit of a joke.
One dive was an advanced navigation dive. Where OW just has you follow a compass out and back, the AOW class required navigating a square and a triangle.
We did a Drift dive down the Colorado River from the Riverside boat launch in Laughlin to a park on the other side of the river a couple of miles down in Bullhead.
We did a wreck dive (also qualified as an altitude dive) in Lake Mojave
And we did a night dive.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #33
GeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud of

GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not to derail the thread, but I work with a bunch of EOD guys now...... Im working on clearing a former bombing/ firing range. Thanks your your service.

But yeah its 5 dives still. a good weekend and you can get it knocked out in HI.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #34
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
belone12's Tacoma Gallery
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
Has anyone ever dove Belize and if so is it that much different/better than Mexico (Playa del Carmen/Tulum area).
Old 11-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #35
EODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: EOD Tech
Name: Jacob
EODTech08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlooney View Post
Not long at all, did about 5 days of classes then 3 dives and got my certification And if you're in Oahu, you'd be crazy not to! Some of the best diving in the world over there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Not sure what it takes now.
When I got mine, it was 5 dives. Deep, Navigation, and Night were required, the other two were "elective." Any could be applied toward the requirement for the individual specialty dives, so since everyone in my wreck class was also in my AOW class, the wreck class was only two dives... a penetration dive on the Yukon, and a mapping dive on a barge off of Laguna. We were going to map the Ruby-E but viz was not good enough.

My dives were:
One to (but not below) 100ft... it was kinda stupid. PADI standards did not allow the instructor to take the class below 100ft, but the dive needed to be deeper than 95, so we all went down to 95ft and then held our computers as deep as we could to log as close to 100 as possible.
Ya, it was a bit of a joke.
One dive was an advanced navigation dive. Where OW just has you follow a compass out and back, the AOW class required navigating a square and a triangle.
We did a Drift dive down the Colorado River from the Riverside boat launch in Laughlin to a park on the other side of the river a couple of miles down in Bullhead.
We did a wreck dive (also qualified as an altitude dive) in Lake Mojave
And we did a night dive.
Thanks for all the info guys. It's really helpful and is giving me a lot to look forward to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTaco View Post
Not to derail the thread, but I work with a bunch of EOD guys now...... Im working on clearing a former bombing/ firing range. Thanks your your service.

But yeah its 5 dives still. a good weekend and you can get it knocked out in HI.
Are they Military EOD or Civilian?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #36
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
PADI MSDT here (Master SCUBA Diver Trainer) I have been teaching SCUBA for over 5 years.

Its such an awesome time, love to be in the water, its nice to be at the beach in 10 minutes and hit the water!

If anybody is looking for Diving certification (PADI) I am a certified instructor, if I can get a group of 3 or more I can set up training courses.

Making me want to hit the water right now. However for where I live I am doing shore dives mostly, and its a bit of work kicking out past the waves, better be aware of when the sets are coming in or your going to do a lot of extra swimming! If you time it wrong its like an extreme water treadmill!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #37

GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I work with both military (army and navy) EOD and civilian UXO guys.

Back on topic....IM headed to the Bahamas for 8 days over christmas and new years on a live aboard. totally stoked
Old 02-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #38
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
Time to revive this old thread I got my Open Water I certification in 1993, but haven't been diving as much as I would like. My last dive was a shipwreck night dive. It was AWESOME. I recently decided to go for my advanced certification. Last time I went to Laguna Beach, some guys were gearing up-had a newer Tacoma I've been bitten by the bug again, and hope to do more local diving (my wife won't dive locally because the water isn't "pretty").
Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #39
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I'm taking a week long trip to the bahamas in july, should I get certified before I go and will that be an advantage? Or just try to do it while I'm there? I have never done it before at all. I am interested in getting my rescue dive cert as well because I am a first responder on a lake. I just know nothing about any of this to be honest.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #40

dlooney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
I'm taking a week long trip to the bahamas in july, should I get certified before I go and will that be an advantage? Or just try to do it while I'm there? I have never done it before at all. I am interested in getting my rescue dive cert as well because I am a first responder on a lake. I just know nothing about any of this to be honest.
You'll have to do some serious diving in a week to get your rescue if you're completely uncertified, in fact that might be physically impossible I would definitely get certified before you go, then you'll be able to maximize your dive time.