Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Scuba Diving

Old 02-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #41
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlooney View Post
You'll have to do some serious diving in a week to get your rescue if you're completely uncertified, in fact that might be physically impossible I would definitely get certified before you go, then you'll be able to maximize your dive time.
Oh I didn't mean get the rescue there. I just want to do normal diving there, I'm sure they have a class you can take to get certified for normal diving there but I figured it would be easier to do it first. I just don't know the differences between any of the dive certs or what kind of restrictions there are.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #42
the town is back that way
GeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Freeda Feltcher
GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You'll have to do some serious diving in a week to get your rescue if you're completely uncertified, in fact that might be physically impossible I would definitely get certified before you go, then you'll be able to maximize your dive time.
x2, get your cert before you go. I just got back from the Bahamas, it was incredible!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #43
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Im gonna get dive certified this year for sure! I have been snorkelling for as long as I can remember and im definitely ready to take it to the next level.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #44
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
belone12's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^This, you don't want to spend your vacation in scuba school while everyone else is out having fun. If you can find a local dive shop, do it at home before you go. Some places will let you do your open water check out dive at the resort you are going to, so long as it's the same agency (PADI/NAUI). Even with this, i would just enjoy open water diving on the trip and then do the rescue diving another time. Just my .02.
In 2003 i got certified on long island and then had a blast in mexico. Have been bit by the scuba bug ever since!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #45
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I know I can get certified here, problem is the water is terrible and visibility is almost nothing.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #46
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
I know I can get certified here, problem is the water is terrible and visibility is almost nothing.
It builds character. Actually, an Open Water cert from someplace like WA or down here in Monterey is worth a little more, IMHO. The cold water, extra and more cumbersome equipment, and lower vis all present greater challenges to work with, especially as a noob. I think it helps focus you better. If you earn an Open Water cert under these conditions, I think you are earning a little more.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #47
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
maybe anyone wanna do a dive meet in nc?
Old 02-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #48
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
It builds character. Actually, an Open Water cert from someplace like WA or down here in Monterey is worth a little more, IMHO. The cold water, extra and more cumbersome equipment, and lower vis all present greater challenges to work with, especailly as a noob. I think it helps focus you better. If you earn an Open Water cert under these conditions, I think you are earning a little more.
I agree, the water on the south shore of Long Island isn't paradise. I did my checkout dive in a 7mm hooded suit, with about 5ft vis at best. When i got to the Caribbean Sea, it was a surreal experience. Better to learn in tougher conditions, makes the vacation dive feel more of a vacation - fun and easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
We dive out of Beaufort, NC in the summer on the Atlantis. Great boat, great operators! Wreck dives are incredible.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #49
dlooney has a spectacular aura aboutdlooney has a spectacular aura about

Name: Dennis
dlooney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't know how many of us are on here but I'd obviously be down wanna come down to the coast? We got some nice wrecks down here
Old 02-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #50
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
It builds character. Actually, an Open Water cert from someplace like WA or down here in Monterey is worth a little more, IMHO. The cold water, extra and more cumbersome equipment, and lower vis all present greater challenges to work with, especailly as a noob. I think it helps focus you better. If you earn an Open Water cert under these conditions, I think you are earning a little more.
True that. Our dive instructor was a mean bastard, and pushed us hard. We spent lot of time in the pool blindfolded at the bottom recovering our gear, then did a couple dives in one of the skankiest lakes in SoCal. There were freakin' diapers in the water I feel like I could handle pretty much any dive conditions after that.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #51
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
One of my first real dive "emergencies" as a buddy was in murky water in the Sea of Cortez. It was early in the season, and the viz was poor, about 30 ft. max, and it was colder than you'd expect. We were wearing 5 mils. Small group of 3 pairs, and my buddy and I were last. My buddy is way more experienced than I and she was in trail. The front pairs took off like rockets into the murk at abtou 60 ft deep. (I have never understood this approach to diving. I want to look around, not race.) We had no option but to keep up just to stay with the divemaster. So I spent all my time glancing forward to spot fins ahead of me, quick glance down to look at scenery, and quick glance back under my armpit to spot my buddy. Rinse and repeat rapidly. Not very fun. Then one time I glance back and no buddy. Fuck. I look foward for fins and say screw them, go back for buddy. So I had to execute a pretty much perfect 180 in murky water that was already disorienting, and kick straight back the way I came as fast as I could hoping that I am on the right bearing to find my buddy. After about 30 feet I could make out a huge column of bubbles and as I got closer, could see her inverted kicking her ass off straight down just to maintain depth and struggling. Turned out her BCD inflater valve stuck open and she could not get it off, but had to keep pulling her dump valve so she wouldn't shoot to the surface. I pulled her down on the sandy bottom and gave her my octopus so we could shut off her air (hold the jokes, too obvious). Then we looked around, checked our gauges, said fuck this, and aborted to the surface.

Point is, the first time I had an event in less than ideal conditions, I was able to deal with it easily and sucessfully. So I was happy to have had those cert dives in even worse conditions.

And take note. You need good underwater signals to say "fuck this."
Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #52
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTaco View Post
x2, get your cert before you go. I just got back from the Bahamas, it was incredible!
+1

If you get the cert there, you have two options....

Resort-course, which is a 1-day class and you have a divemaster up your ass 24/7, max depth 30ft... or pay three times what you'd pay here for the full class, and you'll end up spending your entire vacation in the classroom and in the pool.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #53
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoteacher View Post
True that. Our dive instructor was a mean bastard, and pushed us hard. We spent lot of time in the pool blindfolded at the bottom recovering our gear, then did a couple dives in one of the skankiest lakes in SoCal. There were freakin' diapers in the water I feel like I could handle pretty much any dive conditions after that.
LAKE PERRIS!!!!!!!!!

I've used it a few times for checking out new gear before taking it to Catalina.
Makes me glad I dive a drysuit.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #54
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
Quote:
I don't know how many of us are on here but I'd obviously be down wanna come down to the coast? We got some nice wrecks down here
i know i dove the indra in october it was cold as shit. ive got a place in emerald isle
Old 02-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #55

Quote:
i know i dove the indra in october it was cold as shit. ive got a place in emerald isle
Bahh... if it's too cold for a shorty skin, I'm diving dry.
Cozy comfy down to 50, and down to 40 with my dry gloves.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #56

So, question about Tacoma + Scuba, or general outdoor use. This question excludes Cap guys. Do you use a tonneau cover and if so hard or soft? If i do highway driving w/ gear in the back i want it secure/out of sight. Right now I am between the Extang Solid Fold + Popalock or the Extang Trifecta (no need for a lock).
Thoughts?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #57
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
LAKE PERRIS!!!!!!!!!

I've used it a few times for checking out new gear before taking it to Catalina.
Makes me glad I dive a drysuit.
Lake Perris indeed-I still have nightmares
Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by belone12 View Post
So, question about Tacoma + Scuba, or general outdoor use. This question excludes Cap guys. Do you use a tonneau cover and if so hard or soft? If i do highway driving w/ gear in the back i want it secure/out of sight. Right now I am between the Extang Solid Fold + Popalock or the Extang Trifecta (no need for a lock).
Thoughts?
I had a Gaylord's hard cover on my Tundra, but I made a couple of trips before I got the cover and just stashed my gear (HP120 tanks included) in the back of the access cab with a blanket covering everything.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #59
TacomaDiver is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
TacomaDiver's Tacoma Gallery
No Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by belone12 View Post
Thoughts?
I keep all my stuff in the back seat. When I get to the dive site I transfer to the bed, gear up and dive away. I like the open bed for too many other things to cover it up.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #60
brownc9 is on a distinguished road
brownc9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
I dove off Orcas this weekend, Visability was probably 10-15', not great but so much to see if you slow down and explore the nooks and crannies. I got certified here and when I went to Hawaii they asked me about my experience, I let them know I was from the Puget Sound and they said "You're good to go."

Tons of stuff to see here, if you can figure out how to stay warm.