Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Scuba Diving

Old 02-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #61
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EODTech08 View Post
About how long does it take to get a advanced diver cert? I'm gonna be stationed on Oahu for the next 3 years and was thinking about going for it.

Go for it man. The main NEX has a little dive section and they always have PADI classes going on for quite a bit cheaper than everywhere else. Certain times of the year they will discount them even more, usually at their semi annual clear the shelves sales.

And make sure you put a dive flag up, rolled up on too many unmanned kayaks that actually had divers down
Old 02-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #62
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EODTech08 View Post
About how long does it take to get a advanced diver cert? I'm gonna be stationed on Oahu for the next 3 years and was thinking about going for it.
Advanced Open Water is 5 days in the classroom/pool and 5 open water dives.
One dive must be a Navigation dive (actually navigate a square and triangle instead of just the "out and back" covered in modern Open Water).
One dive must be to 100ft (standards don't allow the class to go below 100, so the instructor will usually have everyone kneel on a hard bottom at 92-95 and everyone holds their depth gauge/computer as low as they can, but per tables, 91ft is a 100ft logged dive). You'll look at a color chart, do a math problem, we played a couple of games of Perfection...

This was all done to reveal the effects of narcosis, as well as show how colors go away as you go deeper. Sometimes the instructor will show how a styrofoam cup turns into a shot glass, or might take a tennis ball down to show the effect of pressure.

The other three are elective dives, and they may be applied toward a "specialty" certification such as wreck, drysuit, night, etc...
In my class, we did a wreck dive, a night dive, and a drift dive (Drift dive down the Colorado from Laughlin to Bullhead!).

I took the wreck specialty a month later, and since all 5 of us were in the same AOW class with the same instructor, when conditions got blown out on our 2nd wreck dive, we were able to complete the specialty with only 2 dives for that class. One dive was to be "survey", one was to be mapping, one was to be penetration (exit always visible).
Our penetration dive was on the HCMS Yukon. Conditions blew out and we couldn't do our mapping dive on the Ruby-E, so the next weekend we did a mapping dive on a barge off the coast of Laguna Beach, and we used our AOW dive on the "SS Minnow" in Lake Mojave as our "survey" dive.

Nitrox is one classroom and two dives, not sure of PADI allows it to be combined into AOW or not. PADI was very resistant to Nitrox for many years and even once referred to it as "death gas"
My Nitrox cert is through NAUI, plus I have GUE Tech Fundamentals.
Attached Thumbnails
Scuba Diving-perfection.jpg  
Old 07-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #63
Cajun Yotas
Yota33 is on a distinguished road

Name: Billy
Yota33's Tacoma Gallery
I can't wait for this weekend. I'm heading in to get my rescue diver certification!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #64
the town is back that way
GeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Freeda Feltcher
GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
nice man, its a fun class. I got mine a few weeks ago...got my MSD as well.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #65
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
anyone ever go to fossil ledge out of wilmington nc?
Old 07-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #66
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Diving the SS Atlas outta beaufort NC on wednesday, if anyone wants to join pm me, a 2 tank charter is 115
Old 07-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #67
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
anyone here pursued getting their instructor from padi? any advice for doing so? (Ive only just recently got my advanced)

also anyone here an nc diver?

here are some videos from my last dive, I was learning to use my go pro One is the U-352 sub sunk during WWII the other is the Aeolus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoWXt27B81c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq1mrk3G_sI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbJAO38H72M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUEvPUTxD_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4yYJyuKfTE
Old 07-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #68
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Do a LOT of research on the insurance requirements and costs at the Divemaster and Instructor levels.
Nobody is making a living teaching others to dive... it is a hobby that is a net loss. You do it because you love to dive and want to share that with others.

The furthest I would go personally (in the Padi world) would be Rescue.
With Rescue, I would move into the GUE or possibly IANTD tech realm.

Is Padi still referring to Nitrox as "death gas", or have they seen the potential profit?
Old 07-28-2013, 02:47 AM   #69
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
Padi teaches it now, I know I wouldn't get to rake in big bucks as an instructor but I figured then I could file my trips as a business expense tax wise and get to spread my knowledge as I wish to do
Old 07-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #70
Life is good!!
johneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Ordinance E-5
Name: Ken
johneman's Tacoma Gallery
Morning all...been certified since 1994 with ow and nitrox certs. Wife doesn't like cold water soooo all of our diving is warm water mostly in the Caribbean. Own a time share in Grand Cayman and have been going there for the past 10 years in September. Last May I got to cross an item off the "Bucket List" when I took the Granddaughter diving in St. Maarten on a discover diving trip. She loved it and her and her Mom are doing an ow cert and are going to the Caymans with us in Sept. First pic is from our dive in St. Maarten..wife, daughter-in-law and granddaughter with me hanging in back. The second is of a swim through at Devils Grotto in the Caymans.
Attached Thumbnails
Scuba Diving-img_4189.jpg   Scuba Diving-img_4835.jpg  
Old 07-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #71
TacomaDiver is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
TacomaDiver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
Padi teaches it now, I know I wouldn't get to rake in big bucks as an instructor but I figured then I could file my trips as a business expense tax wise and get to spread my knowledge as I wish to do
Ditto what Rich says...do some research. I have been a DM for about 10 years and have no plans to be an instructor. Not worth the extra cost (initial and annual) to me. I enjoy helping with classes, doing tune-ups, etc. but know at best I will break even. I also do equipment repairs and I can make some money there, but it all goes back into diving of course (new gear, trips, etc.).

That being said, if you have the desire to be an instructor then go for it. The scuba world needs more good instructors. So many get into it and life (family, job, health, etc.) gets in the way but the ones that truly love to do it are a joy to watch and work with.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #72
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
It looks like its the way im going to go, im going to try to atleast get to 150 dives and be a divemaster and move to instructor, itll also get me into a better spot at my full time job...

id want to hone my skills as much as possible before teaching though

does the scuba world need many emergency first responder instructors?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #73
TacomaDiver is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
TacomaDiver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
does the scuba world need many emergency first responder instructors?
Because DM's can teach EFR there are quite a few of them. However, most won't have the real life experiences you will which makes the class a lot more interesting.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #74

Be sure and get your drysuit cert... though I am in complete disagreement with Padi's philosophy of using the suit for buoyancy control.
The experience with the dry suit will give you a jumpstart on training for recovery operations in your regular job.

I prefer trilam, but for your job, compressed neoprene would be more durable.
DUI makes some really nice suits, and their zip-seal technology makes seal changes a breeze, plus they allow you to opt between drygloves or regular latex wrist seals.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:20 AM   #75
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
I'm actually taking nitrox tonigh and dry suit when I can, my s&r is in November and my rescue diver is in December so dry suit is a must anyways
Old 07-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #76

What I ultimately ended up doing on Nitrox was to avoid the whole "best gas" thinking and just stuck with EAN32.

While EAN40 was great, it can't be taken below 80ft.
Nothing like having your buddy call you up to go dive on a beautiful site that runs down to 120ft and you have three 120's loaded up with EAN36 and EAN40.

Not having my own compressor, I couldn't down-mix by bleeding off a couple of hundred psi and adding air, so the only option was to dump a $10 tank and refill, or rent a tank of air.

The bottom time benefit of EAN36 over EAN32 is not that big of a deal compared to moving from air to 32. 40 is a sweet mix, but with a recommended floor of 80ft and absolute hard floor above 100, it's not worth having.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #77
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
I've had about enough of nitrox numbers for a day!

I think ill run ean32 on Saturday since I'm going offshore and maybe ean38 on Sunday since the deepest dive is going to be 85 on the bottom
Old 07-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #78
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Hi guys. Just saw this pop up and figured id say hey. I'm currently working on my OW cert, and il be going to Sea base in Florida for a week next year, that will be 10 - 15 dives including a night dive.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #79

It's really not that big of a deal.
After a couple of years of it (or months) you'll learn that there's no point in tracking your toxicity level (especially if you are running 32 for everything).

The dive shops will flip you out over having dedicated equipment and O2 clean gear... that's a qualified "bullshit"

"Qualified" because anything up to 40% is fine in ANY gear.
Your normal regulator is fine. Your normal tank and valve are fine as long as you are buying premix or getting fills from a DNAx system (still premix).

O2 cleaning, Viton o-rings, and O2 compatible grease are important on the tank valve for tanks that will be filled using partial pressure... that's where the shop takes your empty tank, primes it with 500psi of pure O2, then tops it off with air to get the mix you want.

If a part never sees FO2 above 40%, it doesn't need to be O2 cleaned.

And for the record, I use nothing but Viton o-rings and ChristoLube... but none of my gear is dedicated... it's used for both air and EAN.

You DO need dedicated gear when you get into tech diving and move into 50% and 100% for decompression stops. Not fun having microcombustion in the 1st stage running 100% because a little oil from some shop's compressor got in there and you get a nice hit of CO during a 30 minute hang at 20ft.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:36 PM   #80

Another advantage to simply running EAN32 for all dives is that a lot of shops stock EAN32 premix, so you get a fill faster, and sometimes cheaper, than requesting a "custom" mix.

The shop I used to use banked 40%, so they could in-tank mix anything you wanted without exposing your tank to 100%.