Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Scuba Diving

Old 07-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
TacomaDiver is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
TacomaDiver's Tacoma Gallery
Scuba Diving

Any scuba divers out there? I did a search and didn't see a lot show up except for a freediving type thread.

How do you use your Tacoma for diving?

For example, I mounted a UWS chest box in the bed. Before I go on a trip, I fill it full of water. After diving at the lake, ocean, quarry, etc. I toss my gear into the box and head home. When I get home my gear is fresh water rinsed and I hang it on some hooks in the garage to dry until ready to store inside. The best thing I did was coat the outside of the box with Line-X so that in the summer the box is not too hot to touch!

Anyone have any tips or tricks (tank racks, gear storage, etc.)?
Old 07-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
I love diving and wish I could get out more. The linked video was from my last dive at Avalon. http://vimeo.com/34810666
Old 07-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
docbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

docbrown's Tacoma Gallery
I love to dive. Been doing it since '96. Don't get to go anywhere near as much as I want to. Just dove Vortex Springs this past weekend and planning on diving the USS Mohawk before the summer is out (Old WW2 CGC just sank of the coast of Sanibel Island on July 2 of this year). Puerto Rico is nice and the Bahamas are pretty good to but so far my favorite was Tortola on the Rhone. Heading to Cozumel and the Caymans at the end of the year.

I haven't done anything like put on a tool box with water in it to rinse my gear, but I love having a hard tonneau cover so I can lock my gear and keep it out of the sun. I have been thinking of using some pool noodles and line to make a tank holder of sorts, but right now, by the time I put all of my gear in the bed, the tanks are nice and snug anyway.

Evan, that's a pretty nice video. My dad was a Navy diver and dove a good bit off of Catalina island back in the 50's. Haven't made it to the West coast yet, but it is on my list of to dos.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
sandman29306 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
sandman29306's Tacoma Gallery
Its hard to believe there aren't many scuba personalities on here. Wife and I are going to Panama City in 2 weeks to get Advanced OW and Nitrox done then head to the Keys. Might try to hit the Big O on the way back. I've got a Ocean Rhino RX5 that's gonna get wet too. Trying to rig up this gun for a GoPro is more of a headache than I imagined. Will try to get some good shots in the upcoming weeks.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
belone12's Tacoma Gallery
I dive! Did an amazing trip to the Ship Graveyard off the NC coast in July. I recommend it to anyone nitrox certified, it was awesome. If you search "Caribsea Shark School" on youtube, that is us. I have the yellow pony tank. Anyway, i try to go on 3 trips a year, NY diving isn't much to speak of.

As far as Scuba Tacoma, i just picked it up 1 month ago and have been trying to think of ways to mod the bed for gear. I spearfish locally so I'd like to figure out a way to store that cleanly. And I need a top of some sort to keep everything out of the eyes of a would be thief while i am in the water. Some deeck just screwed me on CL so i am trying to sell that one first and then get another top.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman29306 View Post
Its hard to believe there aren't many scuba personalities on here. Wife and I are going to Panama City in 2 weeks to get Advanced OW and Nitrox done then head to the Keys. Might try to hit the Big O on the way back. I've got a Ocean Rhino RX5 that's gonna get wet too. Trying to rig up this gun for a GoPro is more of a headache than I imagined. Will try to get some good shots in the upcoming weeks.
My buddy borrowed my GoPro and lost it at 110' using the headmount. Fortunately, a diver on another dive found it an hour later. Moral of the story - double check however you rig it. i started tying it off to my BC with a small piece of drawcord, just in case.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by belone12 View Post
I dive! Did an amazing trip to the Ship Graveyard off the NC coast in July. I recommend it to anyone nitrox certified, it was awesome. If you search "Caribsea Shark School" on youtube, that is us. I have the yellow pony tank.
I would have left a brown trail at 4:24 of your video.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by belone12 View Post
My buddy borrowed my GoPro and lost it at 110' using the headmount. Fortunately, a diver on another dive found it an hour later. Moral of the story - double check however you rig it. i started tying it off to my BC with a small piece of drawcord, just in case.

Thanks for the heads up. You are not the only person to say that about the headmount. I ended up using a MAKO AR15 handle for the mount: http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mar15h.htm. And then this constant connect lanyard http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mcccl.1.htm. Two very thick zip ties were used to connect the lanyard to the camera. It worked out pretty good.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Rescue diver here. in the process of getting my master cert. I started diving when I was 10. I am moving down to florida here pretty soon so I should be able to go out a little more.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
dlooney has a spectacular aura aboutdlooney has a spectacular aura about

Name: Dennis
dlooney's Tacoma Gallery
Master diver here. Love it more than anything, gone to the Caribbean twice for some extended scuba ventures, and do a bit off the coast of NC here, plenty of wrecks to dive
Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #12
Waikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Waikoloa Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
The wife and I just got certified last month. We are all in. Lots of places to shore dive here. Been on a few so far and going to try and go at least once a month.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #13
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Casual diver here, certified but don't get out near as much as I would like (not a lot of great diving in Texas).
Old 11-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
TacomaDiver is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
TacomaDiver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
Casual diver here, certified but don't get out near as much as I would like (not a lot of great diving in Texas).
Depends how bad you want to dive. There are quite a few places in Texas to dive, but it is by no means the Tropics. I just like to get wet so a Texas lake works for me. The Flower Gardens is also a fantastic dive if you want 100+ vis salt water. I divemaster with classes so I spend a lot of time at Clear Springs Scuba Park in Terrell. It can get 20-30 feet vis on a good day.

Check out this website if you are looking for some other places to dive in Texas...
http://divearoundtexas.com/
Old 11-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikoloa Tacoma View Post
The wife and I just got certified last month. We are all in. Lots of places to shore dive here. Been on a few so far and going to try and go at least once a month.
I am jealous of this life.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #17
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, Open Water only, certified at Monterey, but haven't been since Boca del Toro Panama several years ago. I've just been too busy with too many other things. I grew up snorkeling off Catalina, and badly want to go diving there. I've been to Belize, Playa del Carmen, Los Pulmos, Mulege, La Paz (near Cabo), and Panama. Almost dove in Maui, but couldn't fit it in. Was planning a trip to Phillipines a few years ago, but it fell through.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #18
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlooney View Post
Master diver here. Love it more than anything, gone to the Caribbean twice for some extended scuba ventures, and do a bit off the coast of NC here, plenty of wrecks to dive
hey man im assuming you work at a dive shop up there in wilmington? if not my bad but i just figured. i work with a dive shop down here in Murrells Inlet if you know where that is? if you do which one? and yea more wrecks than you know what to do with haha. my roomate a few years back used to go up there and dive almost every weekend for lobster and such. thatd be sweet if you knew any of us down here haha
Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #19
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
Any scuba divers out there? I did a search and didn't see a lot show up except for a freediving type thread.

How do you use your Tacoma for diving?

For example, I mounted a UWS chest box in the bed. Before I go on a trip, I fill it full of water. After diving at the lake, ocean, quarry, etc. I toss my gear into the box and head home. When I get home my gear is fresh water rinsed and I hang it on some hooks in the garage to dry until ready to store inside. The best thing I did was coat the outside of the box with Line-X so that in the summer the box is not too hot to touch!

Anyone have any tips or tricks (tank racks, gear storage, etc.)?
if by racks you mean something to go in the back of the taco a buddy of mine just built a little rack for his tanks so they dont roll around. he just built it out of lumber and it works perfectly. but i mainly just line em up and strap them to the bed rails. worked so far for me haha