Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Metal Detecting Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #41
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmarine View Post
I think this thread is pretty cool, I am very interested in getting into this! What would you guys recommend as a "starter kit" so to speak.

What would be a good inexpensive metal detector? Like any new hobby, I dont want to invest much into it right away until I know Im actaully going to continue with the hobby.
What's neat about tesoro is they only take 1 9V battery and they are one of the lightest detectors I have seen, while still being very powerful. Check out the Tesoro Cibola. it's a nice entry level detector, easy to use and very powerful. lightweight and ergonomics is key. swing a heavy detector around for a few hours and you'll know why!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #42
Dental Floss Tycoon
swamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TACP
swamppirate's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
Very nice finds! Have a few of those spencer casings myself...found a complete burnside w/ the bullet still in it, and Dad has found several complete spencer's. We hit a campsite and found a bunch of stuff. Nice harmonica reed, too!

What part of GA are you in? We have orders for Beaufort, SC, but will be living in Bluffton which is less than 20 mins from the GA border. Now I will get to hunt my old stomping ground every weekend!
When you get down here, let me know/PM me. I live in Augusta and have done a little around Aiken. Finding land is hard, but I have not given up... In VA I have a ton of places to hunt. I have land all around Cold Harbor to hunt but it's 8 hours away!! I have literally found bullets in my Aunt's front yard (she's about 2 miles from Cold Harbor)... It is ALOT of fun.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #43
Dental Floss Tycoon
swamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmarine View Post
I think this thread is pretty cool, I am very interested in getting into this! What would you guys recommend as a "starter kit" so to speak.

What would be a good inexpensive metal detector? Like any new hobby, I dont want to invest much into it right away until I know Im actaully going to continue with the hobby.

Like Spaceman said the MXT is a great machine and goes very deep. I personally started with a Minelab Musketeer. I bought it used for around 275-325 range. Whatever you decide to go with, be patient, learn the machine and you will have a blast...(another tip is bury some different objects at various depths, go over them an get used to the different "tones" your machine makes).
Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #44
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppirate View Post
When you get down here, let me know/PM me. I live in Augusta and have done a little around Aiken. Finding land is hard, but I have not given up... In VA I have a ton of places to hunt. I have land all around Cold Harbor to hunt but it's 8 hours away!! I have literally found bullets in my Aunt's front yard (she's about 2 miles from Cold Harbor)... It is ALOT of fun.

Damn, I wish I could do some more digging in VA!! You have it good in that place! Cold Harbor is only 2 1/2 hours from here...geesh! I am jealous...

We are going to try to set our PCS date for around 15 DEC, so will contact you after the move in and we are all settled... Finding places to hunt can be tough, we do most of ours in the southern part of the state near Savannah.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #45
Dental Floss Tycoon

Quote:
Damn, I wish I could do some more digging in VA!! You have it good in that place! Cold Harbor is only 2 1/2 hours from here...geesh! I am jealous...

We are going to try to set our PCS date for around 15 DEC, so will contact you after the move in and we are all settled... Finding places to hunt can be tough, we do most of ours in the southern part of the state near Savannah.
A buddy of mine's Mom has a trenchline running through her front yard...LOL!!

December will work....all the bugs are just about dead by then!! I am researching the battle of Waynesboro now (which was very small by battles in VA comparison)....will start out on my permission gathering trip in a month or so.
I am always on the look out for when they tear up the sidewalks in Augusta....sometimes you can find some old silver when they do.....
Old 08-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #46
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppirate View Post
A buddy of mine's Mom has a trenchline running through her front yard...LOL!!

December will work....all the bugs are just about dead by then!! I am researching the battle of Waynesboro now (which was very small by battles in VA comparison)....will start out on my permission gathering trip in a month or so.
I am always on the look out for when they tear up the sidewalks in Augusta....sometimes you can find some old silver when they do.....

YGBSM!!!! A trenchline? Damn!

There are some old redoubts on my Uncle's land - there was a campsite there that we pulled a ton of 3 ringers and buttons from... Will have to bring you down to the family's land sometime - after hunting season, of course (they are some fools about hunting...), but it will be good hunting.

Have done the sidewalk thing in Savannah a time or two, but you have to be quick about it - they don't waste time putting up barriers!
Old 11-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #47
Karylmatt is on a distinguished road
Karylmatt's Tacoma Gallery
There are many types of metal detectors in the market, so it is really hard to make a decision which one to buy and whee to buy. I searched the internet for a long time and then I bought a gold metal detector, which is really helpful. And when I do metal detecting outside it can really distinguish what kind of the metal that it has detected and give an indication for me. And by using such kind of device I have saved a lot of time and energy. In a word, I love the gold metal detector and have confidence in it.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #48
CollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
CollegeKevin's Tacoma Gallery
You can add me to the list of metal detectorists.

Ive detected for 3 years now, although not as much as I would like.

I have a Garrett AT Pro and a 1st gen Minelab Excal 1000.

Oldest coin found 1735 King George. If you google "1735 King George Coin" my post will be the first to come up. Also found a 1800 spanish silver reale.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #49
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed. Got a whites for christmas, Haven't had a chance to really make use of it. Can't wait for summer to roll around!
Old 05-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #50
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
anybody else? I like this thread, I don't want it to die haha
Old 05-23-2013, 04:35 AM   #51
CollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

What model whites? You should check out friendly metal detecting forum. Lots of great people there.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #52
NYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant future
Name: Joe
NYNURSE's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody do any detecting related mods to their Taco?
My next mod is a always on DC outlet in the bed so I can charge the batteries anytime, anywhere.

XP Deus and Fisher CZ21
Old 05-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #53

Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Kevin View Post
What model whites? You should check out friendly metal detecting forum. Lots of great people there.
VX^3 . Good idea, I think I will do that
Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #54

Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNURSE View Post
Anybody do any detecting related mods to their Taco?
My next mod is a always on DC outlet in the bed so I can charge the batteries anytime, anywhere.

XP Deus and Fisher CZ21
How long do your batteries last? I haven't been able to test mine out yet, although I'm sure it says somewhere in the owners manual
Old 05-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #55

Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone needs some motivation...

http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/...s-Year-s-Finds!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #56
NYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant future
Name: Joe
NYNURSE's Tacoma Gallery
I found my batteries last anywhere from 8 to 16 hours. I haven't seen a post on it, but I find the trashier the area, the faster the battery drains. I also do not take the detector out of the truck each night. It gets easy to lose track of charges.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Kevin View Post
You can add me to the list of metal detectorists.

Ive detected for 3 years now, although not as much as I would like.

I have a Garrett AT Pro and a 1st gen Minelab Excal 1000.

Oldest coin found 1735 King George. If you google "1735 King George Coin" my post will be the first to come up. Also found a 1800 spanish silver reale.
Nice! I have to go find my old coins, but the oldest for me was a 16xx irish coin I found. The other day I found a 1774 (I believe, have to go back and look) 1 Reale.

Here is a pic I took with my phone. Sorry for the quality and not getting a shot of the date. It's at my Dad's now so will take a better one later...
Attached Thumbnails
Metal Detecting Thread-img_0348.jpg  
Old 06-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox1 View Post
If anyone needs some motivation...

http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/...s-Year-s-Finds!

Awesome! I always have the motivation but not the time!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #59
Dental Floss Tycoon

Spaceman, Good to see you are still alive and kicking!! Have not done any MT'ing yet this year, but it looks pretty certain I'm headed back to VA. I'll be sure to keep you up to date..... On a side note the Skins drafted Rambo....hopefully he will help them out!!

LI Kevin, I hunt with a White's MXT. Good relic machine....capable of finding buttons easily to 7-9 inches and bullets much deeper.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #60

Quote:
Nice! I have to go find my old coins, but the oldest for me was a 16xx irish coin I found. The other day I found a 1774 (I believe, have to go back and look) 1 Reale.

Here is a pic I took with my phone. Sorry for the quality and not getting a shot of the date. It's at my Dad's now so will take a better one later...
Beautiful coin. I love finding a coin and thinking its something newer then it really is.