Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Metal Detecting Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #61
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppirate View Post
Spaceman, Good to see you are still alive and kicking!! Have not done any MT'ing yet this year, but it looks pretty certain I'm headed back to VA. I'll be sure to keep you up to date..... On a side note the Skins drafted Rambo....hopefully he will help them out!!

LI Kevin, I hunt with a White's MXT. Good relic machine....capable of finding buttons easily to 7-9 inches and bullets much deeper.
How are things? Have been really busy lately so only have done some digging once or twice! WHen are you headed to VA? We need to go detecting sometime before you leave!

I second your recommendation of the MXT. I have used one for over 5 years now and absolutely love it!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #62
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Kevin View Post
Beautiful coin. I love finding a coin and thinking its something newer then it really is.

I love finding coins, too. But my favorite is Civil War/Rev War stuff...fortunately, there is a lot of that to be found in my neck of the woods! You are in some prime real estate...When we were stationed in NY, I went a few times but finding places was hard to do. Same for MD - did find some cool stuff, but not a whole lot, though...

Fortunately, am back home in my old stomping grounds now!
Old 06-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #63
Dental Floss Tycoon
swamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedswamppirate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TACP
swamppirate's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
How are things? Have been really busy lately so only have done some digging once or twice! WHen are you headed to VA? We need to go detecting sometime before you leave!

I second your recommendation of the MXT. I have used one for over 5 years now and absolutely love it!
Probably at the first of the year...Once I get back and make my old connections with property owners it should be game on!!! I'd like to head over to Savannah, maybe find some Revolutionary War stuff!!!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppirate View Post
Probably at the first of the year...Once I get back and make my old connections with property owners it should be game on!!! I'd like to head over to Savannah, maybe find some Revolutionary War stuff!!!

If you get a chance to go, pm me and will try to set something up!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #65
coralie is on a distinguished road
coralie's Tacoma Gallery
How I envy your metal detecting finds. I am also into metal detecting, but I haven'nt got much treasure yet, can you tell me the secret of how you can get so much treasures ?
Old 07-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralie View Post
How I envy your metal detecting finds. I am also into metal detecting, but I haven'nt got much treasure yet, can you tell me the secret of how you can get so much treasures ?
There is no secret - I just live in an area that is rich in this part of history. But I see that you are in NY - that isn't a bad place by any stretch. When we were stationed in upstate NY (Albany for recruiting duty), I found a few good things but wasn't able to get out all that much. Fortunately, I had a friend who was able to get us near Saratoga battlefield (on private land, of course). I found a few buttons and buckle, but not much else. Research is the key! NY is a very rich state in historical stuff...just gotta do some looking!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #67
ziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant futureziffen has a brilliant future

ziffen's Tacoma Gallery
I've tried to get into metal detecting over the last couple of years. I bought a Whites XLT several years ago. I can't seem to find anybody willing to spend a little time teaching me the ins and outs of the hobby. I've only hunted in school yards and parks. I would love to get into the woods or fields with some history to them.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziffen View Post
I've tried to get into metal detecting over the last couple of years. I bought a Whites XLT several years ago. I can't seem to find anybody willing to spend a little time teaching me the ins and outs of the hobby. I've only hunted in school yards and parks. I would love to get into the woods or fields with some history to them.
If you get down to this area, let me know. Will take you to some spots!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #69
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I love metal detecting! I don't have anything real fancy, but I've loved detecting all the way back from when I was a kid. It's how I spend my time when I go camping.

Those finds in your 1st post are incredible! I'd flip out if I found something like those. This addicting hobby started when I was a kid in the 70's, I'm 47 now. Thank God we didn't have PS2's & Xbox back then. My grandparents and I were on property of friends they had, and there used to be an old town with a blacksmith, etc. I remember finding old locks and square nails.

These days camping...(in the hills of Southern California) usually just the normal coins, no indian head pennies yet, and bullet casings and bullets. (WAY too many .22 casings!) Did find some keys on a ring a while back and knew somebody had a long walk out of the hills. Also old cans buried back in the 70's.

Here's what I do with my findings...I get a tree stump that's flat (usually cut from the forest crew) First I put them in a bowl of water to clean them up, then lay my findings out on the stump. Bullets, coins, and other items, organized of course. Then when we leave, I double bag them, bury them, write the location down in our journal, and find them with my detector next time we visit the area. The legacy will live on with my 2 year old son. I'll snap a pic of this on my next trip.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
I love metal detecting! I don't have anything real fancy, but I've loved detecting all the way back from when I was a kid. It's how I spend my time when I go camping.

Those finds in your 1st post are incredible! I'd flip out if I found something like those. This addicting hobby started when I was a kid in the 70's, I'm 47 now. Thank God we didn't have PS2's & Xbox back then. My grandparents and I were on property of friends they had, and there used to be an old town with a blacksmith, etc. I remember finding old locks and square nails.

These days camping...(in the hills of Southern California) usually just the normal coins, no indian head pennies yet, and bullet casings and bullets. (WAY too many .22 casings!) Did find some keys on a ring a while back and knew somebody had a long walk out of the hills. Also old cans buried back in the 70's.

Here's what I do with my findings...I get a tree stump that's flat (usually cut from the forest crew) First I put them in a bowl of water to clean them up, then lay my findings out on the stump. Bullets, coins, and other items, organized of course. Then when we leave, I double bag them, bury them, write the location down in our journal, and find them with my detector next time we visit the area. The legacy will live on with my 2 year old son. I'll snap a pic of this on my next trip.
That's a pretty cool thing to do with your son! I have never thought of reburying stuff to be found later. May just do that so when I start taking my 4 year old son, he can find things too. Great idea!

Thanks for the nice comment - I am absolutely addicted to detecting and fortunately we live in an area that is rich in history. We just moved back and I haven't been able to go lately, but am planning on it probably next weekend. Hopefully will find some stuff - if I do, will post it for ya'll.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #71
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's a pretty cool thing to do with your son! I have never thought of reburying stuff to be found later. May just do that so when I start taking my 4 year old son, he can find things too. Great idea!

Thanks for the nice comment - I am absolutely addicted to detecting and fortunately we live in an area that is rich in history. We just moved back and I haven't been able to go lately, but am planning on it probably next weekend. Hopefully will find some stuff - if I do, will post it for ya'll.
I'm subsribed to your thread now Eric. I recently watched a show on the military channel of a famous war (more like a day of killing) that took place between the indians and the white men, and of course can't remember the names at this moment, but we've all heard of it. Historians were able to figure out who died where by finding artifacts from that famous day with metal detectors. They now have markers to mark these areas. Seems the indians had better guns, that actually held like 16 rounds, while we were packing rounds one at a time. The bullets they found, along with a couple other things were amazing. This is why I'm so jealous of the area you get to detect. You may have seen this episode too. I'll post up a pic of findings soon!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #72

Thanks!

Finally was able to get out and do a little detecting for first time in a long time. Not a bad day - pics coming soon. Went to a new place with my Dad and found 16 Williams cleaners bullets (Civil War) and a Burnside w/ a partial piece of the casing intact. An interesting thing, found 15 of the Williams cleaners in one hole! That's a first for me in that was the most I have ever found in one hole (have found six 3-ringers in one hole before)...also, in the same hole I found a several precussion caps (unfired) wrapped in what appears to be the original packing - well, pieces of it anyway. We also found an un-hunted house site in the same area. All in all, a pretty good day. Will have pics up tonight hopefully if hte kids cooperate!

Anybody else been detecting lately?
Old 09-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #73
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks!

Finally was able to get out and do a little detecting for first time in a long time. Not a bad day - pics coming soon. Went to a new place with my Dad and found 16 Williams cleaners bullets (Civil War) and a Burnside w/ a partial piece of the casing intact. An interesting thing, found 15 of the Williams cleaners in one hole! That's a first for me in that was the most I have ever found in one hole (have found six 3-ringers in one hole before)...also, in the same hole I found a several precussion caps (unfired) wrapped in what appears to be the original packing - well, pieces of it anyway. We also found an un-hunted house site in the same area. All in all, a pretty good day. Will have pics up tonight hopefully if hte kids cooperate!

Anybody else been detecting lately?
Went out to the side of the lot Saturday found a few nice rusty pieces of junk